What's new
What's new

Mazatrol Programming Format Sucks Period

ggborgen

Aluminum
I been trying to add a hole in a mazatrol style program for two hours now in manual pro and can't get the S number under the manual pro just jumps to the next unit. This is a 2min. job in G and M code format. I can't wait until I have time to reprogram these mazaks in G and M code format so life we be back to normal. Mazatrol lovers you have my simpathy. :smoking:

I been trying to add a hole in a mazatrol style program for two hours now in manual pro and can't get the S number under the manual pro just jumps to the next unit. This is a 2min. job in G and M code format. I can't wait until I have time to reprogram these mazaks in G and M code format so life we be back to normal. Mazatrol lovers you have my simpathy. :smoking:

Have you had any training?

Go get some training... adding a drilling unit or a hole location to a program should take seconds if you know what you're doing.

I think I know what you're saying here about how it jumps to the next unit when you are trying to insert an extra line into an existing prog. This is probably the dumbest thing in Mazatrol.

To add a line, go to the unit below it and press insert.... this will add a line to the above Unit.

Mazatrol

Mazatrol is a software app and like any s/w requires some form of educational effort to become familiar with. Factory training, on site training, peer-to-peer training, web training and consultant training (like the ex mazak freelancers i am aware of, including me, incidentally, on a small less than cottage industry scale) are all out there, but require an investment of time and money.

the editing situation Tom3197 describes (damn good point there, and great catch! you're damn good at finding the root of the problem. thats a talent) is one of those things that doesn't make it in the books (or it does, but the books are so dense few have the patience to dig for a solution there) and is best learned by one on one at the control.

message boards are also a great source. however, i suspect that the amount of people involved in cnc manufacturing that are utterly oblivious to any cnc message board is about 98%. I say that because I see lots of very good questions that languish unanswered on the boards...forever. if i see something about a mazak i know the answer to, i post it. i'm just a knee jerk customer support kind of guy, but no longer get paid for it!

I am a big mazatrol fan and it has been around for thirty years now. I would say there is no software based product out there anywhere that has remained as unchanged as mazatrol. there has been evolution, but the core concept of mazatrol principals and frame works conceived in 1979 are still in the fabric of the control today. The continuity and consistency of thought over decades I find remarkable, and I feel the engineers that designed and conceived mazatrol way back when were downright software VISIONARIES!

(Of course, they did get a little off course with dealing with tap nomenclature, surface finish designation and chordal coordinates in point machining. And dont get me started on not being able to change the #2 zone rough boring cycle parameter by TPC!)

-jim

There was a company that put out some pretty decent Mazatrol training videos (watched a couple of short demo clips) , not real high quality video but pretty good content. Sent them several emails inquiring as to the price of their training but never got a response.

For some of you Mazatrol pros, I do think there is a pretty decent market for some quality training both lathe and mill if your in the market for a few extra Christmas bucks.

I know I have only scratched the surface of a T32 control. Most of what I know about it came from a couple of hours with a PM member, these forums and a whole lot of trial and error.

I think I know what you're saying here about how it jumps to the next unit when you are trying to insert an extra line into an existing prog. This is probably the dumbest thing in Mazatrol.

To add a line, go to the unit below it and press insert.... this will add a line to the above Unit.

Tom, may seem odd but in most applications like spreadsheets that is how you add an item.

They probably are trying to make it intuitive to computer users.

Athack

Oh yea, I understand why they have it the way they do... I just remember when I was stuck in ggboren's shoes! I remember having the exact same problem and thinking WTF is this S%#^. That was about 8 years go, now I wouldn't trade Mazatrol for anything. Its a great system.

I love Mazatrol

I am in the middle of a project with 23 different parts. They are qty. 2 of each. I have written, set up, and run 35 programs in the last 11 days, all Mazatrol. They are all very cosmetic parts requiring all machine chamfers and no hand finishing at all. I could never have done this many programs in Mastercam in this time by myself. The only problem is that I can't seem to sleep now without laying in bed thinking about programs and parts. I seem to solve problems that don't actually exist and it really pisses me off that I lose sleep for nothing.

A couple of days ago my wife told me that I flip over from one side to the other 20 or 30 times a night. I had no idea. That night I was half asleep and in my dream I was looking at Mazatrol programs and thinking about changing the table index to one direction to reduce flipping from side to side while sleeping. I have clearly been spending too much time in front of the control when I dream about it every night.

My friend suggested that I never tell a mental health profesional about attributing machine characteristics with myself. That can't be good.

Anyway, I love my Mazatrol, it has become my alter-ego.

I might need a few days off.

Anyway, I love my Mazatrol, it has become my alter-ego.

I might need a few days off.
I actually feel better after running my Mazak CNC Lathe. If I come home from work grumpy, my GF usually asks if I had any 'Mazak Therapy" that day. The answer is usually 'No, I did not run it today.' She says it shows. "Hopefully you will get Mazak work tomorrow."

Yes, I know I am :nutter: :D

Anyone trying to learn new, advanced software is going to think it sucks early on. We've all been there, done that.

Mazatrol blows g-code out of the water. Unless you are running a high end cam system, you can't touch the speed of programming in Mazatrol.

Back