What's new
What's new

Mazatrol users-Anyone use tool presetters?

Gobo

Titanium
Looking at getting a Speroni tool presetter for our shop. Mostly for our milling department (all EIA), but management would like to be able to use it on our Intergrexes. We run exclusively Mazatrol programs on our Intergrexes, and the Speroni tech could not tell us if we could use it on our machines running Mazatrol. Let me add, we could use it, but we would have to manually load the offsets, which we don't want to do. Question is like the title, does anybody running Mazatrol use presetters, and if so, what kind?

Last edited:
What productivity increases does management hope to find in this method? The built-in probes on Mazaks are nice, and you consistently know how far off target the current calibration is.

Less time spent probing tools is one goal. Manually probing tools on an Integrex does not take long, but loading tool offsets is nonetheless quicker. Another advantage is using the tool probe to check for runout on high productivity carbide drill and end mills. A small amount of runout results in a great decrease in tool life and loss of precision.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. If they are modern i-series integrexes they run from tool gage length, so you can get your Length A and B from the presetter and pop it into tool data. It is possible to directly load that info in through a program or MTConnect utility as well, but the second way normally means some software investment.

Less time spent probing tools is one goal. Manually probing tools on an Integrex does not take long, but loading tool offsets is nonetheless quicker. Another advantage is using the tool probe to check for runout on high productivity carbide drill and end mills. A small amount of runout results in a great decrease in tool life and loss of precision.

Fair enough. While I won't try to guide you any other way than you wish to go, please consider how much time it takes to transport toolholders from the machine to presetter and back plus the added variation from re-attaching the tools to a different station (in this case the turret) after measuring the holders at the presetter. This is just something I noticed - I seem to be less pissed off nowadays when I moved from a machine where I always had to use a presetter, to one where I always use a sensor arm to set tools when they are already in place.

For the runout, you are totally correct. There really isn't a more convenient way.

Lastuneste- I appreciate your input. I contacted Mazak and was promptly answered with a probable solution. Will post more.

Mazak does have a solution. It involves both hardware and software. A chip containing all the needed tool data is installed on the tool holder. A chip reader is installed in the spindle of the machine. When the tool is loaded into the spindle, the reader reads the chip and loads the tool data into the machine. The Mazak software enables the tool pre-setter to write the tool data to the chip on the tool holder. Don't know the cost, but it appears that you can add it to a machine already in the field.

Mazak does have a solution. It involves both hardware and software. A chip containing all the needed tool data is installed on the tool holder. A chip reader is installed in the spindle of the machine. When the tool is loaded into the spindle, the reader reads the chip and loads the tool data into the machine. The Mazak software enables the tool pre-setter to write the tool data to the chip on the tool holder. Don't know the cost, but it appears that you can add it to a machine already in the field.

Better be sitting down! :D

Back