What's new
What's new

Milling Groove on Lathe Part OD

Circuit 1

Aluminum
I have an SQT10M Lathe with a T-Plus control. I need to mill a groove on the OD of the part along the length. I've done quite a few Mill Drilling ops on the Face and OD of parts, but never a Mill Groove. This part is 1.350" dia. and there will be 24 grooves along the length that are .030 deep at 15 degree rotation intervals and I'll be using a .125" Ball Nose. Basically this is to be able to grip the part by hand. It's taking the place of knurling. I think I got one groove programmed okay but my question is what is R-FR 1 and R-FR 2? They filled in with autofill, but what are they? And also is there a way to pattern that groove around the part 24 times or do I have to program each 15 degree rotation position separately?

Last edited:
R-FR1 is the rough feed rate radially. R-FR2 is the rough feed rate axially. I don't think the T Plus has a shape repeat function.

Gobo thank you.
I actually just finished the part up and I did figure that out finally.
Some of the abbreviations and descriptions at the machine aren't real clear and the book is even worse to try and understand. I ended up programming each groove and it didn't really take that long but a pattern option would have been much easier like the MDRL option. Also how do I tell the MGRV how many passes to take? It started out with 3 in a .030" deep groove and I wanted it to do it in one. I got it to do one rough and a finish by leaving more stock for the finish pass. Is there a parameter or did I miss something on screen?
Again Thanks!

You can take it all in one pass.
Remove the rough tool number and only have a finish tool.
Of course its all the same end mill just leave the rough tool field blank.

Mr. E thanks!
I went back to the machine earlier to look at the program again and it dawned on me (actually I thought "what an idiot") that all I had to do was take out the roughing op like you said. But that does leave the one question, what determines the depth of cut for each pass when using MGRV?

If you can post a screen shot I can tell you exactly which field controls your depth.
As I recall you have the starting point which is actually the radius and then the depth is controlled from the field labeled as "Depth" as referenced from the starting point.

Gobo you got me thinking about this because I didn't remember seeing any option for depth of cut. Then as I'm staring at the tool data page I realize I had just used the live tool for drilling and I didn't change it to an end mill. And like magic there the depth of cut option was.
Again thanks to you and Mr.E for you're replies.

The depth of cut in tool data 2 only applies if your using a roughing tool,
doesn't apply if your only using a finish tool.

The roughing tool of course didn't apply to this part. But it was more I wanted to figure out what controlled the depth of cut. I did see the option for finish allowance and I assumed the depth of cut option would be on the same line. Mazatrol is still pretty new to me, but it's getting easier with everyone's help.
Again Thanks!

Back