What's new
What's new

My, new to me, QT-15!

super95awd

Aluminum
I posted in the recent thread about the super clean QT-15 on eBay and said that I purchased it. Well it was delivered today. It is in fantastic condition for sure. The inside is just as good as the outside. It looks like it has hardly been used. Here are a couple pictures of getting it set in place. I'm sure I'll have some questions for the experts on here as soon as I get her powered up! Thanks to Greg, cnctoolcat, for all the help so far!

QT-15 1.jpg

QT-15 2.jpg

Nice looking machine! I'm sure you're thrilled to get it on the floor and start getting it set up. What year and control does it have.

When I got my first machine I was totally impressed with all the assistants I received from the forum members, without it it would have been an arduous task for sure.

VERY nice machine! If you haven't already, you are going to fall in love with it by the time you run your second part :). Speaking of parts, what type do you make with the VF and what are your plans for the QT? It looks like you've got some nice capability in your shop. Best of luck!!

Mike

Thanks guys! It's an '87 with the T-2 control. I make mostly high performance automotive stuff. I make a lot of my own products, but do a lot of work for other shops in the industry as well. The QT-15 will be used for some of my own products and to pick up turning work from my current customers. I'm interested to learn Mazatrol for sure!

Lots of luck with the QT15 I programed and ran one from brand new for about 8 years.And I did not know how to use a computer before that.Mazatrol is not tat hard to pick up.I hope it came with a tool eye,a great feature.

I posted in the recent thread about the super clean QT-15 on eBay and said that I purchased it. Well it was delivered today. It is in fantastic condition for sure. The inside is just as good as the outside. It looks like it has hardly been used. Here are a couple pictures of getting it set in place. I'm sure I'll have some questions for the experts on here as soon as I get her powered up! Thanks to Greg, cnctoolcat, for all the help so far!
Make sure you ask questions BEFORE you power it up. :codger:

This vintage Mazak needs to be phased correctly and have the internal transformer strapped for actual incoming voltage. If this is not done correctly, the machine electronics will take a beating in short order.

However, this is a rock solid machine as long as it is fed proper voltage and phased correctly. You are going to LOVE it. :cloud9:

More reading:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/3-phase-phasing-256757/

Thanks for the link Philabuster! That was actually going to be my first question. I have a couple others, but I need to snap a couple pictures. By my calculations, I need to run 2awg wire to the machine for a run of about 12 feet. Does that seem reasonable? It's crazy how much more transformer this thing has compared to the Haas. Both 20HP spindle motors? Surrrrrrreeeee. :D

It's crazy how much more transformer this thing has compared to the Haas. Both 20HP spindle motors? Surrrrrrreeeee. :D

The Mazak is a 20HP machine. The HAAS is not--regardless what the stickers say. Similar to Sears selling a 6HP (peak HP :rolleyes5:) shop vac and it runs on 120v.

Attachments

• Craftsman 6 hp vacuum.JPG
    Craftsman 6 hp vacuum.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 1,635
I like the shop vac reference!

Alright, so my first questions...

It was supposed to come with the standard set of toolholders, but I guess they were not provided. Anyone have any used stuff around that I can buy? I looked around for new stuff and found a few manufacturers. I guess if it comes to it, I'll just throw some stock in the VF-2.

There is an air solenoid in the cavity behind where the gauges sit. It has both of the air lines going into it snipped off. What is that solenoid? I'll grab a picture of it later.

One of the wires going to the back of the program lock keyswitch is snipped. The other side of it appears to just be laying there. I'm assuming that should be reconnected?

Everything else seems to be intact, just those couple little issues.

Thanks in advance guys!!

I know it requires compressed air. Maybe keys for the lock were gone? My Mazaks came with an assortmant of holders but not the sticks.

It has the keys in it. All of the main air inlet stuff is intact, just this solenoid that isn't connected to anything. I haven't scoured yet to see where it may have come from or where it should be going to. There are so many people on here that are intimately familiar with these things that I thought I'd see if someone knew off the top of their heads. :)

It has the keys in it. All of the main air inlet stuff is intact, just this solenoid that isn't connected to anything. I haven't scoured yet to see where it may have come from or where it should be going to. There are so many people on here that are intimately familiar with these things that I thought I'd see if someone knew off the top of their heads. :)

Care to take a picture?

Depending on how big of a rush you're in, there are a couple on ebay that might work:

Mazak Quick Slant Lathe Boring Bar Tool Holder | eBay

and some used equipment dealers which may have some:

Used Tool Holders - Toolholding Listed For Sale - MachineTools.com

I'm not advocating any of these dealers (be careful you don't get taken for a ride!), but I expect a few calls to some used equipment dealers could turn up a suitable batch of toolholders for a (hopefully!) fairly reasonable cost.

Is there no chance of having the company you bought it from search again for the holders you were promised?

Mike

Thank you for the leads! I will keep an eye open on the used market. The place I bought it from is looking for them.

I snapped a couple pictures of the little issues I was talking about. I'll post them up as soon as I get on a computer.

Air line goes to tool probe. Machined was designed to probe tools automatically during cycle and there was an air blast under each tool button to blow off any chips. The black airline tends to get old and split. Most likely someone just disabled it. No real need for air blow for manual tool probe operation.

Edit lock key is a non issue. If you can edit the programs, leave it alone. I have the edit key in mine and have not turned the key in 12 years.

I'll attach the pictures I took just so you can confirm. If that's the case, then I won't worry about the air line. Also looks like someone threw a limit switch up in that cavity as well. I figured it was probably the door open switch. The first picture is the solenoid, second picture is just so you can see it in reference to the machine, and the third picture is the key switch.

photo (9).jpgphoto (10).jpgphoto (11).jpg

Thank you for the leads! I will keep an eye open on the used market. The place I bought it from is looking for them.

I snapped a couple pictures of the little issues I was talking about. I'll post them up as soon as I get on a computer.

Were the holders in the original pic? I don't remember and pics are not available anymore. If it was part of the sale and also in the original pic the seller may have sold them and will be "looking" for them for a while.

Huh, well that's interesting! I guess I won't need to worry about that then. Maybe that limit switch that was up in that cavity also had something to do with the auto door then? It has the switch for it, but I just figured they all did.

Back