What's new
What's new

Need help understanding some things about my QT-20

IronReb

Stainless
As I right this post I be damned if I can remember the control now..
Its a 1995 model QT-20 lathe with Mazatrol T plus (I think)

Tail Stock setup..
What it the proper way to setup the TS.
Currently, I move the body to a position that lets the TS spindle extend about 3" or so, in the setup page I tell it that amount.
I'm guessing there is an Mcode that would extend-retrack if I were doing production?

So far I don't have issues but if I ever try to run a large bull nose center I am afraid the current tool path will rapid into a larger
center diameter.

How do you control the rapid movements?

Would love to rapid X then Z in some cases.

Offset pages and tool wear comp....

For some reason if I hit the button under the monitor (tool offset) and change the values it seems to have no effect on the actual part size.

To control tool wear or dial in to size I have to go to the geometry page and offset X there, this works but what I don't like is if say the diameter
programed is 1.5000 and I have offset X-.005 to get it to actual cut 1.5000 in the position screen it shows 1.4950, would love to be able to set tool correctly so when position screen says 1.500 it IS 1.500

Machine has a tool probe, currently I only use it to set Z, when used to set X its about .0450" off actual cut size.
So I do a test cut, mic cut, go to tool offset geometry page, cursor to correct tool, TEACH and input actual diameter that I just cut.

What is the proper way to setup the tools in this machine? I do understand the tool data page and have that part under control.

Thanks for your feed back.

Iron

TPC will let you change the rapid approach parameters for that program only (though hell if I know how cnctoolcat or someone will chime on on that one)

The position screen will always show the actual position of the tool. If you want it to change what it says on position, you'll have to change the X axis zero for the tool not just the wear comp column.
Though I wouldn't do it myself. Its a lot easier to see the difference betwee. +.007 and .700 than it is to see -12.1546 and -12.5146.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/mazak/tool-eye-adjustment-issue-t32-231073/

This thread here is for setting the tool eye on a T-32. It says further down in the thread that the same parameters are used for setting the tool eye in T-Plus and 640T

Back