What's new
What's new

Need help wit a QT-8

novation1

Plastic
Need help with a QT-8

Hi Everyone,
I got this machine a couple of months ago and have been slowly getting it back together. It was missing parts. Some visible and some not so visible. Anyway I finally got it under power and have been trying to get rid of the errors that are showing up on the monitor. I'll attach pictures of the diagnostic screen and all the parameters that I have put in. I don't have any of the hidden parameters. I have the wiring book, maintenance manual, operation manual and a list of parameters specific to this machine but no hidden parameters unless I missed them somewhere. The control seems to think that there is a tailstock but the machine has a sub spindle. It also says there are illegal parameters. Not sure where to go from here. I contacted Mazak today about the parameters. They said I needed to register the machine first before they could give me any information. They say they have a generic set of parameters for the QT8. If I wanted the parameters for this machine it would be $500. Not sure the generic parameters will have the hidden parameters or not. If anyone knows that would be helpful. Some errors are in a blue background and some are not. The spindle drive seems to be ready showing "r-0", and the dual drive is showing B1-B2 on the LED readout. The only thing that seems to be functioning is the chuck will open and close. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0534.jpgIMG_0536.jpgIMG_0537.jpgIMG_0539.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
No it doesn't have any driven tools. Unless they were removed before they sold the machine. No evidence of there being any. The control is T2 with a B axis sub spindle. I bought the machine from a machine re-seller. It was originally owned by Miller Fluid Power until they got bought out by Parker-Hanifin. I don't think they used the B axis. There is no chuck on it. I'm not sure what are actually options or what is considered standard equipment. It has a rod for the parts catcher but no pan to catch parts. I'm pretty sure it also had a bar feeder attached which I don't have.

Attached is the original test report from when the machine was new. What are the hidden parameters for? The parameter page for the hidden parameters isn't very helpful. They are named ATC-1, ATC-2, and ATC-3. Which I would take for Automatic Tool Changer, but it may stand for something else. I have all the original parameter sheets and servo settings. The pages are numbered 1/8 thru 6/8. 7/8 and 8/8 are missing. Not sure what could be on them. The only parameter that I couldn't put in as it is on the sheets is B-Axis servo setting #12. On the sheet, the parameter shows 555,000, it won't accept a 6 digit number only 5, so I put it in as 55,000. I also have put in the cutting conditions but no tooling info. Is there any way of finding out which parameter is considered illegal?

I guess what I'm looking to do now is to get the machine ready light to come on. I'm assuming if I can get that to happen, I should be able to at least jog the axis's and rotate the tool changer.

img001.jpgIMG_0542.jpgIMG_0543.jpgIMG_0544.jpg

ATC = Automatic Tool Change, you dont have that
T2 has no driven tools or C axis, T3 has.

I think your OP parameters are the problem.
Try these OP parameters, these are from my QT10 T2

(Unable to upload image)
1 0000 1010 2
2 1110 0001 4
3 1000 0000 1
4 0000 0100 1
5 0000 0001 1
6 0000 0000 0
7 0000 0000 0
8 0000 0000 0
9 0000 0000 0
10 0000 0000 0
11 0000 0000 0
12 0000 0111 3
13 0000 0000 0
14 0000 1111 4
15 0000 0000 0
16 0000 0000 0

When you enter OP parameters you also need to enter the parity number I added but without spaces. Like this 000011114

Well I tried your parameters and nothing changed. Still get a 131 illegal parameter error. I really appreciate your help with this. Does your machine have a sub spindle? When this machine is on, there aren't any lights on the digital read out on the sub spindle drive. it has power as there are lights visible on the board I can see inside. I have a manual for the drive, unfortunately I can't read Japanese. Haven't found an English version on the web anywhere yet.

Yes it has the FX17 board installed. I haven't tried hooking up to it yet but it is there. I don't have any information about the EIA/ISO programming. Is there anything in that interface that may help with the illegal parameter problem?

The OP parameters you got from me is for a machine with FX17 installed so that is not the problem then.
I have a friend that have 3 QT8, I will check if any of these has a subspindle and if he can provide the parameters for it.

I have the original parameters for this machine. Not the generic parameters from the wiring book. When they put them in the MELDAS binder there were probably 8 pages. Numbered on the bottom of each page 1/8 thru 8/8. I only have 6 pages. 7 & 8 are missing. That's why I thought I may have been missing the hidden parameters. Attached are 5 of the 6 pages. I didn't put page 5 in as it is just cutting conditions. Should be fairly standard. With the 5 image limit one had to go. On page 6 the highlighted number is one it wouldn't accept 6 digits, only 5, so I put 55,000 which it took. Also I am putting in inch parameters and not metric.

PARAMETER COVER.jpgPARAMETER-2.jpgPARAMETER-3.jpgPARAMETER-4.jpgPARAMETER-6.jpg

Good News and Bad. First the good. After talking with JKA78 yesterday, I changed the M11&M12 parameters and that got rid of the illegal parameter data error. Originally they were set at 0 and 16 due to this machine having the sub spindle the 8 position turret is a 16 position turret so it will cut on the part in the sub spindle. I set both parameters to 8 and the error went away and the ready light came on. Now I can operate the spindle and the X axis. When I try and move the Z axis I get an drive error. Checking out the error code I come up with an over current error on the drive. I tried checking out the transistor blocks inside the but the readings are not what it says they should be in the drive manual. I'll have to do more checking on this. Also the sub spindle drive got an error of I guess the character is a L but I'm not sure of that. The error is L-07. I have a manual for the drive which is a Nikki Denso Digital S Pack NDS-501B. Unfortunately I can't read Japanese! Also the turret won't rotate. Unless I haven't got the correct sequence of buttons and switches to get it to rotate. So that is where I'm at now on this journey. Making progress. Thanks

Good News and Bad. First the good. After talking with JKA78 yesterday, I changed the M11&M12 parameters and that got rid of the illegal parameter data error. Originally they were set at 0 and 16 due to this machine having the sub spindle the 8 position turret is a 16 position turret so it will cut on the part in the sub spindle. I set both parameters to 8 and the error went away and the ready light came on. Now I can operate the spindle and the X axis. When I try and move the Z axis I get an drive error. Checking out the error code I come up with an over current error on the drive. I tried checking out the transistor blocks inside the but the readings are not what it says they should be in the drive manual. I'll have to do more checking on this. Also the sub spindle drive got an error of I guess the character is a L but I'm not sure of that. The error is L-07. I have a manual for the drive which is a Nikki Denso Digital S Pack NDS-501B. Unfortunately I can't read Japanese! Also the turret won't rotate. Unless I haven't got the correct sequence of buttons and switches to get it to rotate. So that is where I'm at now on this journey. Making progress. Thanks

Good to hear you figured some of it out.

If you're checking the transistor modules in-circuit, they will usually have different values. If the drive manual doesn't specify an in-circuit check, you probably have to take all the buss-bars and wires off of the modules to get a correct resistance value.
My habit is to take a couple of clearly focused digital photos of the assembly before pulling the bus-bars and wires.

There should be no asterisks in your parameters. If you can't clear them then you need to reset your parameters to zero using the RS232 method. This is the best way to re-enter your parameters.
Also some of the OP settings won't stick unless you use the safe cracker unlock for the OP settings.

Back