What's new
What's new

New to me 1996 QT-10N with T-Plus, manuals? tool holders? advice?

bonestock

Aluminum
I have a 1996 QT-10 with the basic 8 position turret landing on Friday.

edited: I posted it as a QT-10N but the plate says QT-10, not sure if that makes a difference

I'm looking for
  • Tplus, Operators, Maintenance manuals
  • QT10 ID tool holders.
  • ... anything else I should know about this machine.

I've already contacted Mazak for the full manual set ($750 for an email, $950 for paper :eek:). I tried to buy email versions then and there but I have to wait a couple weeks until someone in Japan approves the reassignment of the machine into my name.

I'm not intimately familiar with the maintenance on these machines. I've got a pretty tight shop area so having an idea of what sort of wall clearance is needed on the sides or back would be nice. Perhaps some basic install troubleshooting docs.

I believe the machine has been without power for the last week while I have been dealing with knuckle head transport companies. I see mixed threads on how much of a PITA lost parameters are--hopefully I'll avoid that.

In regards to the tool holders, I'm not really finding anything that specifically says it's QT10 compatible. I think the QT8/QT10 may use the same holders but I'm not certain.

It being a "10N" with the 8 station turret it's probably the same as far as tooling as the 15, 18, 20, and even the 250 uses same tooling blocks even though it's a 12 station turret, they'er easy to find on ebay and other places. Not familiar with the "Tplus" software.

It being a "10N" with the 8 station turret it's probably the same as far as tooling as the 15, 18, 20, and even the 250 uses same tooling blocks even though it's a 12 station turret, they'er easy to find on ebay and other places. Not familiar with the "Tplus" software.

I hoped that was the case but I did see a couple different sizes so i wasn't sure. For instance globalcnc dot com lists NEX100-* and NEX350-* part numbers for blocks supporting a range of QT8,QT15/QT18, etc. I wasn't sure the difference.

If you need any programming help send me a message. I ran a t plus with y axis for years

Thanks. I just may hit you up for some help from time to time. At present I have no mazak experience and only program in Gcode and CAM (via onecnc). I hear mazatrol is quick to pick up so I'm looking forward to get my hands on it.

To use iso/EIA programming on a t plus you must have that option on the machine. Its not standard. But like the guy above mentioned don't waste your time. Mazatrol will spit out the program in a fraction of the time and once you get the hang of it, it will be safer as well.

If you've never run a Mazak your in for a treat. I much prefer running a mazatrol program over an eia program. Except for the most complex of parts, mazatrol blows CAM'ing out of the water.

To use iso/EIA programming on a t plus you must have that option on the machine. Its not standard. But like the guy above mentioned don't waste your time. Mazatrol will spit out the program in a fraction of the time and once you get the hang of it, it will be safer as well.

I thought the EIA was standard on the plus and above, and an option on the 32's and below. Though I may be wrong.

Do you have a post for T+ control in ONECNC?

Not at the moment. I'm not even sure if the control has the EIA option yet. All my turning today is done on manual lathes. While EIA would be nice I'm confident that I could spit out similar parts conversationally in mazatrol.

Dump your cam software and learn Mazatrol. You will never look back.

Funny I keep hearing that from the mazak shop guys. Hell even my dad said the same thing when he heard I was picking up one. Maybe I can do that for my lathe work since this is the first cnc lathe.

For engraving W/ C axis on a T+, I don't think so.

why not?? This is on a t+

That is 28 mm in diameter too. Anything is possible, and yes that was programmed as line center not iso.

To the op on the position page push the left button under the screen. Somewhere in there (think it's in the page where you see alarm history, diagnostics, and version or something like that) push version and then options. It will show what your machine is optioned with.

A 1996 QT10 is the same machine mechanically as the older QT8's. Which is to say they use 3/4" stick tooling, and the ID tool holder blocks have a 1" hole.

Captdave near you has a QT8 (and an SQT15M), and I'm sure he wouldn't mind you picking his brain a bit...;)

ToolCat

Machine finally arrived yesterday after a bit of drama. The truck driver on Thursday never showed up for pickup. The piece of crap kept me hanging all day with ... "I'm almost there ...". Pickup was scheduled for 9am and the facility and rigging crew stayed until 5pm because he was always ... "almost there". What a piece of work. Firing him felt very good. Sadly it still left me scrambling for a truck but it all worked out.

A huge thanks to B&S Rigging out of Clearwater, FL and A&B Machinery Handling out of Covington, GA for really helping me out and going the extra mile to get the machine loaded and unloaded.

The machine seems to check out and I poked around on the control for a couple hours yesterday. It's pretty intuitive as long as you don't try to over think it.

I'm almost sorted on the manuals. It looks like all I need to pick up now is the Parts book. That's a much better place than I was just a week ago. Thanks guys.

Next items are tooling. I have a few sources for the ID holders but it looks like I will also need the OD holder strips. The machine turret shipped bare. I may just make a couple on the mill until I can find a proper set.

looks like I will also need the OD holder strips

I may have a spare that you can use to copy and make a few for yourself, we're up in Acworth if that not too far away.

Al at A&B rigging has always done a excellent job for us, even fished a few machines out of our basement too.

You get all the manuals I emailed you?

So I found 4 extra ID tool holders but no luck on the OD holders, I'll look some more tomorrow.

I may have a spare that you can use to copy and make a few for yourself, we're up in Acworth if that not too far away.

That would be great. Acworth isn't too bad of a trip. The shop is in Suwanee but I live around the Buckhead area.

Al at A&B rigging has always done a excellent job for us, even fished a few machines out of our basement too.
I usually use Pete Wallace Rigging but they were booked and referred me to A&B. Wow what a great group of guys. Brent really helped me out a lot. When the plan to install the machine on Friday went to s*** Brent offered to have the machine delivered to their place and old it over the weekend until they could deliver Monday or Tuesday. Even though the truck didn't arrive at their place until 6:30-7pm on a Friday one of his guys ran in to unload it and texted me with updates.

You get all the manuals I emailed you?
Yes and Thanks again. The T+ programming manuals help a lot and the alarm manuals do too.

So I found 4 extra ID tool holders but no luck on the OD holders, I'll look some more tomorrow.
Excellent. I have scouted a seller on ebay with some ID holders but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Maybe we can make a deal.

why not?? This is on a t+

That is 28 mm in diameter too. Anything is possible, and yes that was programmed as line center not iso.

To the op on the position page push the left button under the screen. Somewhere in there (think it's in the page where you see alarm history, diagnostics, and version or something like that) push version and then options. It will show what your machine is optioned with.

I didn't say it was impossible, just that I'm not willing to draw it out in CAD and point to point each line segment.

nice job by the way.

Back