What's new
What's new

Newbie needs help with tool definition for Mazatrol T-2 boring bar

kb0thn

Stainless
Hi Mazak wizards,

Slowly working my way through my first real part that required tools that didn't come with the machine.

I am trying to figure out how to define a boring bar. Attached is a picture of the bar and the then the manufacturers specs. I'm nervous on this one because yesterday I crunched a different boring bar into the work piece and blew up an insert ... this is a nicer bar, and I would like to avoid that drama. Can somebody help me with tool definitions? It is T15, for what it is worth.

I did consult the manual, but it was just vague enough to make me doubt myself more.

20170418_173326.jpg20170418_180140.jpg20170418_180146.jpgboringBar.JPGboringBarSpecs.JPG

Thanks a bunch!

-Jim

Your bar is loaded upside down in the machine unless you are programming with a manual process.
If you load it correctly your tool data should look something like GNL-IN 95/35. I am guessing on the 35 because the tool specs does not say. Your spindle direction should be right with the arrow pointing to the left.

It's definitely in upside down. Flip it 180.
Bar would be GNL-IN-95-60.

First thing I would do would be figure out why the first boring bar got crunched though.
Do you have a picture of that setup, program, and tool page?

Thanks for the help, guys! I will flip the tool and do general turning, inside, 95 degree dep-angle. In relation to this tool, what is the cut-ang? What is width? The shank of the tool diameter?

Yesterday's crash: I crashed it while jogging. Hand wheel was on 10X and not 1X. Carbide exploded. It was surprising.

So that probably means I have my snap ring grooving tool in upside down as well, right? Flip it over and do "groove out" with tool width being 0.047". Do I need any other numbers for it?

Thanks20170418_173408.jpg

Last edited:
The cutting angle is the included angle of the cutting edge. A TXXX will be a 60degree cutting angle.
A CXXX is 80, a WXXX is also 80, DXXX is 55, VXXX is 35.

If its an OD snap ring, you can't really have it upside down. You'll either have a left hand, or right hand tool.
Make sure the block you mount it in is for a LH/RH tool, or you'll be way off center. And make sure you have the correct spindle rotation in your tool data.

That should be all you need for the snap ring grove.
Make sure to look up in your programming book where each grooving cycle takes its measurements from.
On a T-Plus, a normal grove is programmed to the edge closest to the work, but a cut off groove is programmed by the length of the piece you want to cut off.

Do you have all the manuals for the machine?

Maybe. I am on the road right now, so I don't have them in front of me. But it seems I have:
Mazatrol manual
Machine manual (with turret information, dimensions, etc)
Parts manual
Mazatrol classroom manual

The classroom manual came from eBay. And the rest of the manuals came with a parts machine of similar vintage. I have noticed a few differences between what the manual shows and what my machine shows, but I am not sure if they were just manual editing issues or actually describing a different version.

Fortunately the machine did have the parameters list in its control cabinet. So I was able to load it after replacing the dead batteries that came with the machine.

My tool eye doesn't work, so I am manually touching off tools. The tool eye seems to be sitting about 1/4" too low. I haven't dug in to why that is.

Thanks,

-Jim

Here are the manuals from my QT10N T2
(snip)
About the tooleye, when say low do you mean that you cant hit the tooleye with the tool or is it incorrectly values after tool setup?

Thanks!

The tool eye is physically sitting too low. I can't even touch it with the tip of a tool. I've tried loosening up the three SHCS that hold the arm to the lathe, but that doesn't adjust it enough on the right axis. There is nothing obviously bent or broken, but I suspect it has been crashed into. The Mazak tech that went through the machine when I bought it said that it wasn't obvious to him what part(s) need to be replaced or repaired. It does function it terms of pressing the button makes it beep.

Thanks,

-Jim

Back