What's new
What's new

Okay last QTN-MSY question...maybe

litlerob

Hot Rolled
Is there a way to offset the diameter of a milling tool? For example; I am running a part that has a diagonal slot across the OD, (C and Z axis). The slot is coming in undersized a couple thousandths, but I do not see a field for offsetting the diameter of the tool like on a Mill.

I am not familiar with new controls, but on older control in the tool data page, you make the end mill diameter a few thou smaller to compensate. Example: You have a .250" EM cutting a slot. Describe the EM .248" to cut the slot .002" bigger (machine will not comp out as much).

^ what he said

Change the diameter in the tool data page and the endmill will cut more, or less.

Tried that, it only changes the RPM based on the SFM I put in the {Mazatrol} program. Is there some value/entry in the Mazatrol program that is required? I am looking through some of these programs and can't believe the other guy even got good parts off the machine :eek:.

EDIT; Originally I didn't know how finicky the Mazatrol programs were with the tool def's, (now I do). But originally the tool was defined as a .375 diameter endmill when it was in fact .1875, slightly smaller than the slot, and the slot feature ran fine-albeit small. I changed the tool def' to what the tool diameter actually was but never made it smaller, assuming that it would have given me an error in the first place. Is that it?

Thanks for the help guys, Robert

Some things on tool data are very finicky while some only make the on screen graphics look nice.

If the slot is programmed line center (LCT), this will ignore diameter comp as the program is the centerline of the tool regardless of tool dia. This sounds how the part is currently programmed and why the tool data did not match.

The machine will comp out for tool dia if programmed as LFT (left of path G41) or RGT (right of path G42).

If you hurry up and get that post working, this would be a non-issue. :stirthepot: :D

Some things on tool data are very finicky while some only make the on screen graphics look nice.

If the slot is programmed line center (LCT), this will ignore diameter comp as the program is the centerline of the tool regardless of tool dia. This sounds how the part is currently programmed and why the tool data did not match.

The machine will comp out for tool dia if programmed as LFT (left of path G41) or RGT (right of path G42).

If you hurry up and get that post working, this would be a non-issue. :stirthepot: :D

Yup that is what is going on, thankyou Phil!

BTW you are absolutely right, once I don't need to use this damned conversational we will be flying, :hitsthefan: :D

Robert

Back