What's new
What's new

old freqrol Mitsubishi spindle drive question/problem

trademarkmachine

Aluminum
I have a old mitsubishi freqrol fr-sx-2-18.5k drive on mazak
quick turn 20.

Spindle runs fine below 390 rpm. as soon as it goes to 400 or over i get a overload fault.

We have been running the machine. but we limit spindle below 400.

any suggestions what to look for?
Could this be a board problem? if so which board?

Drive was repaired/rebuilt 2 years ago.

Thanks
mike

Update on issue.

Seems like when the machine load increases. It also causes the fault.

When we accel and decel the spindle manually there is no problem.
But when load increases in cut it faults out.

upper 2 Drive fault lites are on
indicating:
inverter IOC
cpu fault 1
cpu fault 2
cpu fault 3

I would start with changing all capacitors in the spindle drive. (Yes they are many and yes in powersupply also)
capacitor is aging and common to fail on these old machines.
If that didnt help change the hybrid chips DK... something and the large transistors behind the boards.

Call Mitsubishi the really good at helping there's also a board on your spindle motor that needs to be recalibrated with a multimeter occasionally I had to do mine it has something to do with the gap between the motor and the encoder. I would look into that first considering your drive is still working

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I could be wrong I'm not a repairman but I know when I was readjusting that board on the spindle motor it made a big difference because I was having the drive shutting down as well and then have to reset it by turning the machine on and off and then it would be fine. If I remember correctly there are four pins on the board you got to put a multimeter on two need to be at 1.065 volts. And the other two need to be adjusted down to zero. Like I said I'm not a repairman I just know when I was having trouble that's what they told me to do and it took care of it. They told me that when I was having trouble to check the maintenance items first it was the board on the motor and a pin on the spindle drive needed to be at 10 volts at Max RPM and like I said mine was way out of whack but then again these could be two different problems?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It sounds like there may be an issue with the wye - delta transition. I don't know if the issue is in the motor or the drive.

99% of the time on a Mazak it's the spindle drive.

A repair or rebuild 2 years ago don't mean much, as the rebuild shops only replace what's broken, they don't actually replace all components that are prone to failure. That's one reason I started rebuilding my own drives.

I think it's ridiculous a repair shop will replace 1 or 2 components (like IGBT's or hybrid chips), and not replace THEM ALL. Sure, they replace all the little capacitors, but here's news for you, if 1 or 2 of something has failed after 30 years, there's a good chance some of the other identical components will fail sooner or later as well!

I would look at retrofitting a new drive, or have MEAU rebuild this one. Warning though, they aren't cheap, and may not want to work on one so old.

ToolCat

As I recall, the older Frequol drive have their own power supply that can also give you problems.

If you want to laugh, call a drive rebuilder and ask them what they actually do as a "standard rebuild". Chance are they replace the shorted IGBTs and the electrolytic capacitors and if it works, it goes out the door.

As far as the cost of rebuilding, I don't know if it's too out of line. Typical drive rebuild is somewhere between $700 and $1500, depending on size and how fast you want it mostly. I'm sure 19 out of 20 drives need a module or too and a hand full of caps. So, $250 in parts and 2 or 3 hours of labor. Maybe another hour to set parameters and do the testing.

But, there's that 1 in 20 where the circuit boards are melted or the drive was under water or some hero was in there before and ripped all the traces off the boards.

They have to set the price to cover their ass in either case. I don't think they are getting rich. Too much competition.

Thanks to all.
We are currently looking to replace this machine. Which I hate to do.
Last drive repair was someone other than mits.
Cost was around 2500. I told the guy I thought it was a board problem. They replaced all the usual stuff. Caps and transistors. And sent me back a drive that still did not work. After much going back and forth he sent me used boards which fixed the problem. He said board bad board I returned to him had corrosion on it.
So it got 2500 dollar rust repair.

Toolcat what do you think of the new smooth controls
Mike

99% of the time on a Mazak it's the spindle drive.

A repair or rebuild 2 years ago don't mean much, as the rebuild shops only replace what's broken, they don't actually replace all components that are prone to failure. That's one reason I started rebuilding my own drives.

I think it's ridiculous a repair shop will replace 1 or 2 components (like IGBT's or hybrid chips), and not replace THEM ALL. Sure, they replace all the little capacitors, but here's news for you, if 1 or 2 of something has failed after 30 years, there's a good chance some of the other identical components will fail sooner or later as well!

I would look at retrofitting a new drive, or have MEAU rebuild this one. Warning though, they aren't cheap, and may not want to work on one so old.

ToolCat

Hello Toolcat,

I have the same problem and I need to repair one SF-CA card of the FREQROL spindle drive. Can you tell me what transistors I should replace?. What are the specifications or where to find them?. I can send you photos of mine SF-CA card.

Thanks
Silvano

Back