What's new
What's new

Operator Control Panel worn off

951500winger

Plastic
HI,
Has anyone came up with an easy repair for worn off areas around the control panel buttons? It makes it kind of hard on the people that does not run the same machine every day.
Mazak has nothing for this.
VTC Key Pad labels.jpg

Measure it up and machine some of that plastic they use for electrical name plates and install it
The colored plastic that is white inside for contrast
Thanks Don

The Brother P-Touch label makers that use the laminated TZ series tapes should be able to make something that would look decent. I would suggest white on clear tape.

I buy my tapes from Brother P-touch Labels and Tapes, Dymo LabelWriter and Seiko Smart Label Supplies and they also sell refurbished label makers at low cost.

Edit: For really fancy stuff the computer connected models work best but the hand held models have a lot of symbols available such as arrows, etc.

A trophy shop could engrave a plate for you.

A (vinyl letter) sign shop could cut some lettering for you to apply.

If you need the lettering on a straight line, no problem. Lettering that follows an arc can most likely be accommodated, but the operator might need to study the owner's manual.

They aren't mind readers, though.

You will need to mock up what you need, provide photos of what previously existed, lettering size, etc. It doesn't have to be permanent, but it needs to be an accurate depiction of what you desire.

I found this website in a few minutes:
DoItYourselfLettering.jpgYourMessageHere.jpg

If you could create what you need, even as a kludgy "cut and paste" with cut out letters, packing tape, etc. you could put it in place, and have the steadiest hand in the shop use a carbide burr and a die grinder to engrave the lettering (cutting through the paper with the die grinder) and either live with the result, or do it deeply enough to allow filling with a paint stick. The paint stick / lacquer stick method was used on typewriter scales.

Disassemble the push buttons and you should be able to place a printed label that will explain every key. You can print it with a normal printer in standard paper.

Back