What's new
What's new

Opinions on SQT250M

gmc1724

Aluminum
I'm looking at a 1998 machine, T Plus control, has come from a large aerospace company. Just wondering what you think? We mainly machine 303 & 316 parts, 5" max diameter.

Mazaks are in general top shelf.
t-plus is a solid control if slightly dated.
support by Mazak for this vintage machine is generally good.
I've not heard a bad word about the engineering on this particular model.
live tooling in this class Mazak is not as robust as some mfg. (Mori, fortune, even Haas if you can believe it) and can be pricey to repair

wb

One of the most important items in buying any used machine is to insure that you get all the manuals and a hard copy of the machine parameters. With those, you can fix just about anything when needed.

If it can be demoed it sounds like a fair price for the machine. We have a SQT-15M with a T+ control and its rock solid. I have been a bit leery of the 640 and fusion only because it was the first generation of the "PC" based controls.

I have a SQT 250 great machine but ......316 SS i would be looking at a box way machine something like a Mori SL or a PUMA

Mazak machines of that vintage and really forever use the mitsubishi control. The problem is there are several hoops to jump around to get any real service on them. It is of the utmost frustration to have a machine that has sensors on everything and a parameter for every fart not work because something isnt sensing right. Mazak is at the top of my list for the most irritating control...but also for the easiest.

Just chiming in that the T-Plus control isn't anything to worry about.
Great support for it from Mazak and Mitsubishi.

I actually really like the control. Its new enough that it has quite a few AUTO options for material, and for calculating start/end points of tapers, but its old enough that its easy to bull shit the control when you want it to do something that it technically shouldn't be doing.

Edit: Price seems reasonable if the machine is in good shape. A BIG part of the price is if it comes with live/static tool holders.
They're pricey new, and can be a pain to track down used.

The machine comes with 3 axial driven tools but no radial tools. I should clarify that I've been running Mazak lathes for the last 18yrs, Cam T2 & T32-3, I take it the t-plus will be similar but a bit more modern? I have a ST20M/C which has similar driven tool power, will a turret machine be more rigid (ST20 uses a magazine type arrangement).

The T+ is newer and has a few more features the the T32 but can't name them off the top of my head, mainly just more more machining options within each process. Can't comment on the rigidity difference to your current machine live tools but they can be pretty pricey when bought new, we have bought several off flee bay at a decent price.

The programs you have now running in the T32 will load in to the T+, but I don't believe it will go the other way.

Back