What's new
What's new

Possibly buying Mazak V414 M32

xa-mont

Hot Rolled
any goods/bads/indiferents about the V414 from the mid 90's?

The one in question has 12krpm spindle, 4th and TSC, not sure yet if it has EIA (would be a deal breaker if it didn't) but it seems to be a reasonable price ($22k) and I could probably screw the guy down a bit too.

anything in particular I should check out on it? I'll hapefully be having a play with it on Friday.

Cheers,
Trav

M32 does not have enough memory to run an eia program of any size . . . if this is a deal breaker it just broke.

I'm currently running a 16000 line program on my M2 mazak (drip fed) so the m32 can definitely take it.

If you can find a mplus version you will be much happier, faster rapids, more memory, that's too much for a m32

The price will be negotiated down, but lets also remember i'm in Australia, the availability of second hand machines is much lower than in the states.

Your current machine will be a lot more rigid

no arguments there. the plan is to keep my current machine and get something faster for aluminium work.

The main issue i'm struggling with right now is speed, and redundancy. If my mill goes down, i HAVE to fix it before i can do more work. and it's only got a 4krpm spindle.

Theoretically with the job i'm running right now (6060 aluminium) i could get the cycle time down from 2.5 hours (16 parts on a 4th fixture) to about 1 hour if i were to step up to 12000rpm spindle and TSC (one op is a 80mm deep 12mm hole, currently i need to peck the shit out of it, with TSC it would be a straight feed)

so here's my super cool story of going to look at this beast.

I rocked up at about 5:30 in the arvo, only to find that the machine wasn't under power. Apparanlty he had tried to organise an Elec but it had fallen through. So seeing as i live 3.5 hours away, it magically connected its self so i hadn't wasted my time.

To absolutely no surprise on my part, it had lost its parameters. The guy said he had them on floppy so he wen't home to get them... i spent 1 hour chatting away to the bloke who was running a succesfull machine shop in the same place (he had a 5 axis, an intergrex and a mazak HMC) whilst old mate was off getting his floppy.

He got back, i re-initialised the machine for him and it still wouldn't go, coming up with an Estop error, not sure why and by this time i'd been there for 2 hours and still had a fair drive in front of me so i gave up.

I'll wait and hear what's happens once he gets a tech out to sort it out (the tech he is going to use is a guy i know who i have spoken to today so he can check it over for me.) but it looks like i'm probably going to be offering as close to nothing as i feel socially responsible offering and dealing with a POS if it is one, or getting a good bargain if it turns out being OK.

A general rule of thumb the older a machine gets the more you will pay to replace components of the machine.
That is why they tend to sell rather low just to unload it.

I ran a 414 - 32 for seven years it had a m plus control on it though and that machine was super fast the Rapids were crazy if you miss something and you're the Rapids all the way up you couldn't stop in time it was that fast I had one mistake learned from that one!Lol all in all if you want to just ask about the quality of the machine I think they're great I've never seen one have a problem there great for the small stuff. I believe it is a 1997

A general rule of thumb the older a machine gets the more you will pay to replace components of the machine.
That is why they tend to sell rather low just to unload it.
I can't afford a new machine, or even close to new, so sadly old is all i can afford.

I do all of my maintenance/repairs myself, with the assistance of some people i know and done helpful people from forums like this.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

But parts are cheaper tho? Xa Mont, I can tell you first hand that that is a great machine. You will be happy ...believe me. Even tho it's old, I have yet to see one go down for any reason besides chips getting backed up behind the y cover and compacting causing it not to repeat....or it was the guy running it? Lol. That one was a 414-22 with m32 , orange and white model

Back