What's new
What's new

QT 8 Turret Alignment

newoldmazak

Plastic
I have a 1990 QT 8N with a t32-2 control. I aligned the spindle last week and now I crashed a boring bar, and the turret is way out of square. Whatever happened, the turret casting now scrapes the tailstock casting when Z is retracted and X is extended. It never touched before. Does anybody have any guidance regarding turret re-alignment on this machine? I am new to this forum and to Mazak (if that isn't obvious enough by the magnitude of this crash). Any help would be an enormous help. Thank you in advance.

I will post photo tomorrow. It does not rub in home position and the relief in the side of the turret casting clears the tailstock as it should, but if you jog Z to home and X- out, the turret casting will hit the tailstock before the limit switch. I did not see anything catastrophic in my initial inspection. Maybe a dog or switch just moved. I will post pic later. Thanks.

i would imagine you can always hit the tail stock with x down towards center line
sounds like the barriers are wrong
to check turret "height" you sweep a drill pocket with test indicator in chuck
should be able to get "0-0" up and down at some point by moving x
if turret is really cocked
pull center cap
hit "turret unclamp"
loosen 8 bolt circle
clamp turret back up
hopefully this machine is new enough that you can get at curvik bolts with out taking turret off
it will be m8 bolt circle(m6 hex key) at about an 8" diameter through out tool pockets
there will also be a couple pipe plugs
behind plugs will be taper pins (had one boss that called them "shipping pins")
pull pins out with slide hammer,they will bent
now with bolts all loose and pins out but turret clamped
beat like red headed step child till you read "0-0" up and down on drill pocket

tighten it all back up
throw pins in drawer
run dem piss out of (Japanese blurp i found in accuracy check sheet on my t-2 qt8)

if you can't get at curvik bolt from outside you have to pull turret
after you pull center cap
unclamp turret
loosen lock screw and remove large nut
turret slides off spline
curvick stuff is inside
easy pesy lemon squeezy
breaks over
back to work

Like wippinboy says, on the QT8's (and QT15's/QT20's), when back towards home in Z, if you bring the turret forward in X, toward centerline far enough, the turret casting will hit the tailstock casting!

Must be careful, Confucious says....

Back