What's new
What's new

QT10 coolant lines

xa-mont

Hot Rolled
Hey guys, is there a better solution than this junk?

c53a293c436fa09861fd189be522750a.jpg

Getting a bit sick of them moving etc. Especially on my part of blade.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Here are a few of mine. One thing I think is that flared copper holds and works much better than ferrules. The little nozzle I made thinking it could be drilled at any angle I needed, just pop a nozzle hole in the drill press. It is already bored up the middle which the photo does not show, Works ok and sometimes a 45 degree or 90 degree elbow helps. I have been spraying from above, even though I am using tools upside down. Trying to keep from spraying coolant at the door which then drips all over the machine when I open the door. Since it is such a flood of coolant it does not really seem to matter what direction the coolant comes from. The little copper elbows I got at McMaster Carr probably available someplace easy down under though. The problem with the copper elbows is they are still too long for my liking. I have tried to form a deflector in the end of the tubing with limited success. Next thing I want to try is to form a little deflector from a piece of copper flashing. I think it could be as simple as a few cuts with tin snips then tap out over a form and solder to the tube. Not tried yet though.

Yeah the mid 80's Mazak QT's only had one coolant port per turret station, and it was on the "top", designed for LH tools. Later Mazak added coolant ports to the bottom as well, making it much easier to plumb for RH tooling.

Mazak did offer a plate that bolts to the turret station, (using the 4 tapped holes that hold ID blocks, and the plate was about 3/4" thick) that not only let you extend your turning tools out some for more clearance from the adjacent stations, but the plate routed coolant out of several different ports, enabling much more flexibility in coolant lines.

I too have dealt with coolant line issues over the years, sometimes it seems that's the slowest thing about setting a Mazak up!

ToolCat

a good tube bender and plenty of nuts and ferrels on hand was the best solution I came up with. it's all pretty stable till it's worn out. throw it in the scrap before that

Mazak did offer a plate that bolts to the turret station, (using the 4 tapped holes that hold ID blocks, and the plate was about 3/4" thick) that not only let you extend your turning tools out some for more clearance from the adjacent stations, but the plate routed coolant out of several different ports, enabling much more flexibility in coolant lines.

That's a wicked idea! I think I'll do that.

I also found another annoying limitation that will be fixed with a similar block. I had to run a 290mm long drill yesterday and a part that was hanging out the chuck a fair bit. I ended up having to chuck the still slightly on the flutes and had 2mm clearance from the turret body to the tail stock body, however if the ID holder was like 7 mm further down in x the turret body would clear the tail stock body at x0.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

So i got just sick enough of the junk coolant delivery setup (whilst burning through inserts cutting 304 because the line kept moving) that I made a solution.

Copied from the plate described earlier (i'm sure there was a photo somewhere too...)
DSC_1559.jpg
DSC_1560.jpg

It routes the coolant to both sides of the tool holder right at the tip, also routes it to the face (mainly because i had to drill there for the internal routing, but could be usefull) All holes are 1/8 bsp threaded for either blanking (i've got some 1/8bsp grub screws on the way to blank it flush) or for simple cheap 90/45* elbows.

As you can see it smashes out a ton of coolant at a good pressure just using a m-m 90 elbow.
DSC_1561.jpg

I've only made 1 so far, but if anyone is interested i'll be making myself another 3 and am happy to pump some out for others if they're interested. Alternately i can hook you up with the CAD/CAM for it as well.

Cheers,
Trav

I like that! One thing I have been using and like a little better than the fittings with ferrules is flared fittings and tubing. It does stay put better.

Edit: pictures from post #2 above readded here- could not edit that post

CoolantNozzle.JPG
CoolantLine.JPG

Last edited:
So i got just sick enough of the junk coolant delivery setup (whilst burning through inserts cutting 304 because the line kept moving) that I made a solution.

Copied from the plate described earlier (i'm sure there was a photo somewhere too...)
View attachment 221981
View attachment 221982

It routes the coolant to both sides of the tool holder right at the tip, also routes it to the face (mainly because i had to drill there for the internal routing, but could be usefull) All holes are 1/8 bsp threaded for either blanking (i've got some 1/8bsp grub screws on the way to blank it flush) or for simple cheap 90/45* elbows.

As you can see it smashes out a ton of coolant at a good pressure just using a m-m 90 elbow.
View attachment 221983

I've only made 1 so far, but if anyone is interested i'll be making myself another 3 and am happy to pump some out for others if they're interested. Alternately i can hook you up with the CAD/CAM for it as well.

Cheers,
Trav

That plate setup is nice.
Could use aluminum there to save a little mass on the turret, thus help the Geneva mechanism and servo out.

I second what Pete said about flare fittings. They stay put a lot better than compression fittings.

Back