What's new
What's new

QTN-200 and 250's, real power use?

SND

Diamond
Just wondering if anyone ever put a clamp meter on there to see the real Amp draw per leg during normal use?
I see these come with a 26kw(30min) spindle, calls for 100amp breaker I believe? but how much does it really draw during accel/decel and under a medium cut?
Surely it doesn't draw all that juice just to get its own weigh and a chuck/material up to speed? Can they be set to speed up and slow down just a little slower for less peak? I'm wondering if a 30hp PP would be enough to run one of these or not.

The Japanese overrate their machinery electrical requirements quite a bit, it's actually kinda ridiculous. I have older 20-hp and 25-hp QT's, both running fine on 40-amp breakers @ 240V.

A 30hp PP will run either of these QT's just fine, especially if you slow the spindle accel/decel rates. (Ox runs his entire shop on a 50hp rotary I think...?)

Now if you ask Mazak, they are just going to state the numbers on the spec plate...so don't waste your time there.

Newer CNC's use a lot less electricity, the drives/motors are smaller and more efficient - yet more powerful. The hydraulic power unit on a new QT is about half the size of older units.

Hoping to see pics of a new QT soon at your place!

ToolCat Greg

but how much does it really draw during accel/decel and under a medium cut?

The machine will draw way more power during accel than any cut you are going to take. Always a good idea to lower the accel/decel ramp rates down as this puts much less stress on the drive and also saves on your electric bill. I can run my two Mazak CNC lathes (24kw and 18kw spindles) both at the same time as I am using the 15hp turret lathe*--all running on one 30hp PP. I love that thing. :cloud9:

* I did have to put a soft starter on the turret lathe otherwise the inrush current would signal the Mazaks to shut down. No problem afterwards.

On a SQT15 (20HP machine?) I ran a 2" drill, 80%Z and 80% main spindle, drilling about 3 minutes at a time on a 60A 208v breaker.
They called for a 120A 208v service, but the power "requirements" are way, way over rated.

Thanks for the replies, I'm quite sure it would work fine but I decided to inquire with regard to warranty and its not good...
Not much left on my list now, might just keep cranking handles the way this is going.

Thanks for the replies, I'm quite sure it would work fine but I decided to inquire with regard to warranty and its not good...
Not much left on my list now, might just keep cranking handles the way this is going.

What was said about warranty that has you worried?

I run a QTS-250 lathe and a VCS-530 at the same time with a PP-380. Never had a power problem, and I have not tinkered with accel or decel of either. My available single phase is 240 volt 150 amp, which is only enough for the PP to go up to 86 amps, or 10% less than rated output.

I had a long stretch of (too thin) wire from my shop to the transformer when I got MY QTS200M. The control would shut down when the air compressor started because of the voltage drop. I think that is your main concern. As the others have said it will run on a much smaller breaker than the plate says. I have measured one leg while running and it was more than 400amps peak, but that doesn't really matter because it was for less than a second.

I run a QTS-250 lathe and a VCS-530 at the same time with a PP-380. Never had a power problem, and I have not tinkered with accel or decel of either. My available single phase is 240 volt 150 amp, which is only enough for the PP to go up to 86 amps, or 10% less than rated output.

that's impressive, I think the QTS-250 has a 26kw spindle too. Those PP's sure do work good.
I'm gonna wire the new shop here with a 240D to 208Y(tapped to about 225V-Y) transformer, feeding a 3Ph panel. Should make for a decent set up.
I currently have a 20HP PP for my VMC and screw comp, but would go up to a 30HP if needed for a lathe, all depends on the lathe I end up with. If I just go with a smaller 15hp/cont lathe I'll run it all on my 20hp PP for a while.

Back