What's new
What's new

A question about optional/hard stops

Mike_

Cast Iron
Last week I had to run a pretty fun batch of parts, they were aluminum bars with three slots cut into the circumference to meet in the center. (Think swing set trapeze bar, or something similar. The slots are for holding a nylon strap.)

The machine I used is our old VQC15/40, M2 control. The slots were not exactly equally spaced and unfortunately I don't have a 4th axis so I had to make a little cam system to orient the parts the same each time. Each slot was a little different; one before the center of the bar, one after the center, and one dead center.

I wrote my program in Mazatrol, three slots and three manual programs to home and optional/hard stop the machine so I could rotate my part. First I tried optional stops, just put a M1 after the home. It worked, the machine homes out and stops but for some reason after I rotate the part and press cycle start again the machine waits for a minute then stops again, no actual movement at all. If I press cycle start again it'll run like it's supposed to.

Normally that wouldn't be a problem but I end up trying to do 6 things at once and I came back to the machine to find it hadn't done anything quite a few times. It does this with both optional and M0 hard stops. I tried leaving "continue" un-selected and selected and it doesn't seem to make a difference. (I leave it selected so it doesn't put the tool up after the last slot.)

Is there a parameter or something I'm missing? I'm almost positive the newer mazatrol controls don't put this little pause in there, so I'm hoping it's a setting I'm missing and not the machine!

Thanks guys!

Back