What's new
What's new

Re-threading on SQT with T-Plus control HOW?

cgmaster

Cast Iron
I am trying to figure out how to enlarge a thread on the lathe. I am new to CNC lathes. This is only my 2nd day actually running a CNC lathe. Unfortunately I sold my manual lathe which I know how to do this on.

My first project is an internal thread that needs to be enlarged by about .5mm. I would like to do this on the lathe so I can learn. My other option is using a thread mill on the milling machine.

Another project I have will be more of a production run. threading the OD and test fitting to the already internally threaded part. I have seen some slight variances on the ID of these parts so I test fit each one when I have done them on a manual lathe. My question is can I thread them a little oversize and then make a skim cut by changing the offset as needed if I find the part I am fitting it to is undersize?

I am planning to take some of the Mazak training classes ASAP just need a few things to get me by until then.

First, buy one or maybe two SPARE threading bars / inserts. You will likely need them.
It is not too bad to pick up an external thread, so make an external thread that will fit your under-size internal thread.
A quick sketch of the external thread will convince you that the 'groove' of your external is exactly straight across from the crest of the external, which is exactly in the center of the groove of the internal. Clear as mud?

Screw this thread into your target internal thread leaving an inch or two sticking out of the female thread. Working on the 'near' side, pick up the thread of the external thread. DO NOT CHANGE SPEEDS of your program, but you can now adjust starting point by using a little math and EXACT pitch increments of you thread. You can adjust the diametrical offset of your tool, just don't change the Z offset.

Ok I think I understand. I make a male stub to fit the female then I line up the thread on the boring bar with the male thread on the near side of the male stub.

The problem is how do I pick up a thread with CNC internal or external? I have never done this on a CNC/ only on a manual lathe.

Back