What's new
What's new

Realigning/ problem with live drive motor

SMT

Hot Rolled
Long story short-

Made brass seal to replace rubber factory seal on coolant block to work with high pressure coolant.

Worked fine for weeks.

Today, seal seams to have caught on pocket on back of the turret and bent a little (causing coolant leak). This happened on a tool change and the turret stopped between tools (both the tool being used and the next one were live tools adjacent to each other)

The coolant I can fix. The new issue is the live drive is making some serious noise.

I pulled the face cover on the turret and with no tool to engage, the live motor sounds pretty smooth. Some air leakage (putt putt putt putt) but it goes away at higher rpm.

Engaging a live tool is normal until I key it up over like 200 rpm. The whole motor body wiggles. It gets faster as rpm goes up where it makes a scary knocking noise.

My installer left an alignment tool here and we just checked it to confirm that it is, indeed, out of alignment.

I searched this form, and google without much luck.

How do I get this back into shape?

Just checked a turn tool for center height.

Way off. Like 1/2".

My guess is that hanging up on the coolant seal stalled the turret while the innards kept moving?

New question, how to realign SQT18 turret :(

A call to Mazak service, might just get you the proceedure faxed or E-mailed to you.

I thought about that but the truth is there's a learning curve and I have parts to make.

I called in a service guy I trust. We're going to watch closely, ask questions and take good notes.

:)

good plan
that turret is not a big deal but can be a pain
i'd go back to a uhmw insert in that plunger and just replace it often

good plan
that turret is not a big deal but can be a pain
i'd go back to a uhmw insert in that plunger and just replace it often

Will uhmw hold up to the pressure?

I talked to chipblaster and found out they just remake the piston and seal into a one piece brass design.

Should work ok, right?

Well, seems the encoder slipped.

Things are back in line and cooperated for the most part.

However, it seems that the driveshaft for my live motor is bent :(

New shaft, bearings and misc parts are on order from Mazak, and a replacement (in case this one is damaged) live motor is on its way from Spindles Plus (great company I've used to rebuild live holders)

Should be back in action by Tuesday.

I hope. . .

All that from catching on a coolant port? :skep:

Did this machine try to run the live tool even tho it was not seated?

.... well - I guess you kinda answered that...

What yr is this machine?

It should have a turret seated LS/Prox and not allow the machine to continue if the turret aint seated. Yet you were able to run the live toy in MDI like that? :eek:

...and this is a bevel gear setup where only the tool in position is live? Not a center drive arrangement right?

Still - not seeing how it bent the shaft either?

That is quite the train wreck! :bawling:

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Down boy ;)

The bent drive came with the machine when I bought it in April. We just discovered it today while finishing up.

Also, it seems that the rod that works with the "seated turret" proxy switch is either broken it worn so much it keeps the proxy switch lit all the time.

Even when the turret isn't seated correctly.

I'm not sure. I'm still learning how this thing works.

My understanding is that even when the turret isn't seated properly the control thinks it is.

I'd have that looked at. That's not ok.

what he said
2x
that spindle and shaft are gonna be the more than a couple grand, that turret swings to fast for it to be out of control. which it is, if it ain't payin' attention to the clamp/unclamp logic.
i also can't reason the coolant plug hookin' the turret. its hydraulically driven and should have been out of the way.

Re: the coolant piston. . . that's not what caught. It was the brass seal I made to replace the rubber (or whatever it is) one that was OEM. The seal worked its way out and caught on the index.

Tell me more about the clamp sensor system. . . I understand it doesn't really watch for clamp or unclamp but rather if the turret is seated correctly or not (which is independent of clamp or no clamp)

Seems that this machine has run for years with it like this. Tech felt that the shaft is either badly worn or broken, effectively shortening the shaft. So even if it does move back the sensor still picks it up because it can't move back far enough to get out of the sensor's range.

A new shaft is a ways out from Mazak. This will be buttoned back up tomorrow. I can't afford the time or money to go back in there to replace this, especially when it ran so long with it like this.

its been a while but
that sensor is driven by a spring loaded shaft thats on the back side of the turret.
its just a 1/4' dia. or so
sorry but i just can't get a picture in my mind of it.
thats a no lift turret so it would be working in the opposite way you'd think, where the clamp cylinder moves to the left if your looking at it from the operators station.
i do know i have seen the little shaft damaged in a wreck and it really seems you should be able to rework it without waiting for parts from overseas
i would for sure glue that brass insert this time

I had thought about reworking that shaft. I will if I can.

I also thought about gluing that seal, but really the only way to make sure it can't ever do this to me again is to remake the coolant piston and seal one piece. Which is the first thing I'm going to do when things are back up and running.

about swerved into the ditch on the way home last night
might have remembered the story on this damn pin
had issues with it not operating right years ago when the turret was whacked hard enough that the clamp cylinder was actually twisted on the bolt circle enough that the pin was bound up and the little spring that returns it back and forth couldn't.

or not

wish i had a better recollection of the fix but they all blend into one big ass wippin' after a while

lol, its ok. Some recollection is way better than none.

I'm learning a ton about this machine and that's pretty valuable to me. Not saying I could get in there and fix things as fast as a service guy, but I could probably get it.

:willy_nilly:

Boy...

Take it easy there Wip!

It's nice to help a feller out, but you don't need to "give all" in the process. :eek:

Sure is nice to know that your trying to help tho. :D

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back