What's new
What's new

Renishaw MP12 probe

Mike_

Cast Iron
Most of the machines I work with have some sort of probe system installed but nobody ever seemed that interested in making them work.

I've got one probe, an MP5 I believe, with a 6mm ceramic probe. I also found a bunch of 98xx programs on another mill that may or may not have anything to do with the probe (The mill with the programs has a renishaw tool setter as well as the probe eye, I think some of those programs are for the tool setter, all of them may be as far as I know.)

Both mills (The "program donor" mill and mill I would like to use the probe on) are M Plus mills. I really don't need to program any probing cycles, I would just like to use the probe as a really expensive edge finder for setting WPCs and offsets.

Right now, if I put the probe in the mill and bump it by hand I get the familiar "beep" I'm used to hearing when setting a tool. When I go to set my WPC though the softkeys for probe x+, x-, y+, y- and z- are unresponsive. If I wait too long the probe eye (machine side) goes into some sort of sleep mode which throws a illegal MMS alarm or something similar. I can still rapid around when that alarm sets but I can't change tools or clear it. So far the only way I have been able to get it to clear is by removing "touch probe" from my tool data and restarting the machine.

I'd like to get this thing working if at all possible, it may just earn me some brownie points or something. Of course after I get it working I'll have to hunt the dang probe down whenever I need to use it, maybe I'll just keep it secret ;)

Does anyone use one of these for setting WPCs? If so could you explain how you do so? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Back