What's new
What's new

Resurrecting "The Beast" - Bringing a Mazak Dual Turn 20 back to life.

zoeper

Cast Iron
I recently took delivery of a "headless beast". A 2004-10 Mazak Dual Turn 20 that was bought on auction.
The auction listing read "Control incomplete", but what it actually meant was that the complete control, screen and all servo/ spindle drives have been ripped out.
Sometimes it pays to ask questions, and after I bought the machine I managed to get hold of the right guy in the corporation. Long and the short of it is that he informed me that he had the complete control with all the drives sitting in a box in his office and I can have it as part of the machine that I bought. The Transformer for that machine is also to be included in the deal.
As of yet the brains and the transformer has not yet left their facility, but by the sounds of it all the paperwork has been approved and they just need to locate the transformer.

Let me show you some you some pictures before I say more...
Front dc.jpgMain panel l.jpgMain panel r.jpgMazatrol 640.jpgOptions.jpg

State of the iron as it stands:

Machine was only ever used to cut powder and therefore it was run dry (no auto lubrication pump)and fitted with a extraction system and no swarf conveyor or flood coolant system.
The machine came with one Kitagawa power chuck, but that seems pretty sloppy at first glance. There is some surface rust on the spindle noses, tool turrets and linear ways. I did give the linear way and turret a very light rubbing with scotchbrite and oil and the rust came off with very little effort and without having to dig into the metal.I suspect new chucks, Linear ways and ball screws would be in order as soon as budget allows for that, but I am hoping that the machine can start doing some work before forking out on those items. Time will tell if that is a realistic expectation.

Before doing anything major on the iron,I want to get the control and drives in to check that all is in fact there and working.
Next step would be to clean the whole machine out to get rid of all of the powder that worked its way into every nook and cranny.
Are the spindle units sufficiently sealed so I do not have to go in there? That is the last place I want to go unless I absolutely have to.
Can the linear bearing blocks/ trucks/ carriages be removed for cleaning, and what is the least aggressive way to remove and clean them?
Can dust make its way into the turret mechanisms and should these be opened for cleaning, or rather left in tact?

I want to start gauging the extent of the project and would appreciate any input or experience you might have to share.
Please also mention the "don't go there's" if there are things to avoid at all cost!

Regards
Pieter

Last edited:
If the trucks have any damage the bearings will fall out if slid off the rail.

I would get the electronics installed. See what works and what doesn't.

Get some way lube flowing through the machine.

Spindles you can leave closed up. I would plan on rebuilding both clamp pistons on the turrets. You'll get to enjoy what i think is one the most annoying jobs on a mazak, pulling the turrets on a DT/Multiplex.

We have a customer that has bought several used DT/Multiplex's. A couple have been just clean and align machine and they were up and running production. 2 of them were problem machines. Took about 15K worth of parts to get them in to production condition. It is worth it too them they do around 1.5 million per month in those cells.

in the right application dualturns are killer
I would not go in spindles till deemed necessary
I would clean trucks and guides by forcing high amounts of oil through them not disassembly
the lost transformer is probly what started the control mangling so it may be gone for good but could be recreated by putting a couple things together.

good luck would be appropriate at this time

Wippin 'boy,
Do you think flushing the trucks would be enough? This machine was cutting ceramic powder and it seems like that dust got in everywhere. Would you flush with way lube or something thinner like parafin? Is there a way to manually index the turrets for cleaning?
I do have a 20 KVA and 30 KVA transformer that I can hook up to this machine. Would that be an option? What is the spec on the propper transformer for this machine?

Are these machines expensive to keep running?
I am feeling optimistic about this one...

Justin,

Can you please elaborate on the piston rebuilds for the turrets? Is it mainly seals or is there more to it? What makes it so awkward to pull the turrets? I would imagine that the location and sheer bulk/ weight will make it challenging, or is there more to it? Can the tool disk be removed first and then the turret, or do you have to pull them as a unit?

the transformer puts out 3 different voltages.if you had electrical documents you could build what you need.
the oil in the trucks is an ISO 32 turbine quality.
pulling the turrets calls for a big offset hook. bolts to top of turret then out up and over control. no biggy to make your own.
I suppose you could air blow the turret clamp cylinder and then turn by hand maybe.
but I would concentrate on control before I took much more apart.
optimistic is good.
thats a sweet machine if you get her up.
I have never dealt with ceramic contamination so I cant really judge what has to be opened up.

Ceramic dust is not your friend!
WP_20150224_002.jpgWP_20150224_003.jpgWP_20150224_004.jpgWP_20150224_005.jpg
I pulled off one of the tool blocks and you can see how the powder worked it's way into the cavities.The other pictures are of the actuator end of the LHS Z-axis trucks.
It might be worth pulling one of the trucks out to see the extent of the contamination - providing that the control is alive and that it can be done without upsetting anything else. I will be able to cast a section of dummy rail to keep ball bearings in-tact.
The control is stuck solid in it's slides due to dust that accumulated in the tracks. I think the vacuum cleaner is going to have a field day on this machine.
WP_20150224_006.jpg

Does anybody here have manuals for the Dual Turn 20 and/ or Mazatrol 640T in electronic format?
I was promised the manuals with the Drives and control, but I am keen to have a look at them while I wait for that happy day.

Does anybody have or know of video's of a DT20 running parts like it should be done?
Good day to all!
Pieter

Anybody interested in a Friday night "STRIPTEASE"?

It took her a while to give in, but once the clothing started coming off,there was just no holding her back....Almost like that preacher's daughter we all knew...

WP_20150227_002.jpgWP_20150227_005.jpgWP_20150227_006.jpgWP_20150227_007.jpgWP_20150227_011.jpg

I also received some good news today.It sounds like the guys at the company I bought this machine from has located the transformer for it.
Together with the control and drives that is just pie in the sky till I actually get them, but there is hope at least.
I will clean and inspect the vital moving parts in the meantime so that I can test the electronics when they do arrive one day.
A good weekend to all!
Pieter
WP_20150227_012.jpgWP_20150227_013.jpgWP_20150227_014.jpg

You're brave. I'm not afraid to fix most things, but I'd have run from that thing as fast as I could.

Does this machine work like a subspindle, or is it more like two lathes next to each other?

Back