What's new
What's new

Seeking Competent Repair Tech - Mazak QT10s/QT15 - T2 Control

holows88

Aluminum
Hey there folks,

We've got a few older Mazaks (mid 80s'), 2 QT-10s and 1 QT-15, with T2 controls. Having a variety of issues, and not sure who to call. We had Mazak send a tech out, and he had no clue what to do with these machines (didn't stop them from sending a bill, though). Can anyone give a recommendation for a tech who can work with these older machines? Mid-Michigan area.

Thank you,

Sam H.
o7hkBnkeTU.gif

Hey there folks,

We've got a few older Mazaks (mid 80s'), 2 QT-10s and 1 QT-15, with T2 controls. Having a variety of issues, and not sure who to call. We had Mazak send a tech out, and he had no clue what to do with these machines (didn't stop them from sending a bill, though). Can anyone give a recommendation for a tech who can work with these older machines? Mid-Michigan area.

Thank you,

Sam H.
View attachment 176523

Wait, so they send a tech out, he tells you he has no clue how to fix the machines THEY built, then they send you the bill?

Not a chance in hell I would pay that.

Thanks wippin' boy,

Gave him a call, we'll see what they can do!

If anybody else has anyone, especially anyone in MI, I could still use another tech or two. Good to have options. :-)

Wait, so they send a tech out, he tells you he has no clue how to fix the machines THEY built, then they send you the bill?

Not a chance in hell I would pay that.

No kidding, Ed. Still we need parts and such from Mazak, so we have to keep our account current. Hard bullet to bite, but it's done. Kevin from Precision was surprised by that, too, but we've gotta get stuff running. Hopefully we can get some help :-\

we are a long way away but we have a tech that was working for Mazak when those were released.

Justin Terry

Terry Maintenance Services, Inc.
832-688-8884

No kidding, Ed. Still we need parts and such from Mazak, so we have to keep our account current. Hard bullet to bite, but it's done. Kevin from Precision was surprised by that, too, but we've gotta get stuff running. Hopefully we can get some help :-\

Do you have to pay them too have an account open if you need parts or not?

OP that for sure bites a big one having to pay them to send a tech out and not solve anything.

If you're going to run older cnc's , (and I have four T-2 controlled Mazak's), you need to have a basic understanding of the machines, and troubleshooting - especially the electronics.

And there's no better place to learn than here on PM...

ToolCat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All true, folks, but regrettably, I don't have the time to try and figure a lot of this out. Small shop, too many machines, too much work (for sure not a bad thing ;))Most of my background is in mills--I've got 9 of those to keep running.

I'll start another thread detailing some of the problems, but I generally try to learn with someone there who has a strong background in fixing these things. It's hard to get help when you don't know the problem.

Isn't Kentucky where Mazaks are born? You can't get a service guy there?

I'm stating to think you guys are saying "good" but meaning "cheap". The two are rarely found together.

some of the problem is age of machine. alot if the old hands just aren't there any more. and the old systems are not familiar to the kids. it boils down to the difference between a machine repairman and a ITT tech grad. Time

There's a crap ton of those QT machines still running. They might be the most common 2 axis CNC lathes still running that are more than 20 years old. Surely Mazak or the Mazak dealers are training people to work on them.

I had a Mazak CNC lathe that was 5 years older than me (I'm 31). Not many folks above ground hand first hand knowledge of that machine. As far as I know it still running in it's new home. I borrowed in about 6 months ago to run a long part that would not fit on the replacement.

Back