What's new
What's new

Simulation vs reality Mazatrol T3

benganboll

Hot Rolled
We did a program yesterday with an internal groove. (Dont do that very often)
On first line we specified OD=40mm ID=0mm
Then we:
drill to 24mm
Internal bar to 25mm (around 1")
Internal groove from X24 Z10 to X30 Z10

When simulating the internal groove bar enters at X24 but in reallity it enters at X0.
I have never seen this simulation problem before but I can recall that I have been thinking "why didnt I see this during simulation"

Problem solved by changing first line to ID=24 but I dont like that the simulation cant be trusted :(

In the "reality" had you run through the rest of the program?

I found a few times... In a not so nice way, that if you restart a program at say the 3rd op and the first 2 do something to the ID, it'll ignore those and think your ID is still 0

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I was not present at first run, but as you say I restarted at groove in to confirm the behavior.
That can maybe explain the differens in simulation where all processes are running. :)

I was not present at first run, but as you say I restarted at groove in to confirm the behavior.
That can maybe explain the differens in simulation where all processes are running. :)
Took me a few busted id threading tools and parts to learn that one.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

The controller does not care that you are drilling the blank before boring. It just looks at the ID minimum on the first line and goes from there. On the newer controls (not sure about the T-3) I leave the ID minimum blank on the first line, it then just looks at your CPTX to determine boring start point and retraction. When writing a program, state the ID minimum as the diameter of the drill, problem solved.

The controller does not care that you are drilling the blank before boring. It just looks at the ID minimum on the first line and goes from there.

On the older controls like the T2, T3, the controller certainly does take into account the drilled diameter before you run an ID threading or ID grooving process. I do like Sudsy55 and make the first process hole diameter same as the drilled diameter and there is never any issues.

Not sure about the simulation process reliability as I rarely use it, but the tool path on the program check screen WILL show you exactly what the machine will do when you push cycle start.

Not sure about the simulation process reliability as I rarely use it, but the tool path on the program check screen WILL show you exactly what the machine will do when you push cycle start.

The toolpath did also show the toolpath I wanted (Enter at X24) but at least if I restarted at the internal groove it entered at X0.
I will do some more testing on this :)

There is a known BUG in the T2 and T3 software:

If you RESTART or SINGLE PROCESS an ID groove process, the control might retract out of the hole at X0, even though you have a MIN DIA in the top line of the program --- and even though it always runs fine when in AUTO mode.

The simulation shows the tool retracting at the MIN DIA dimension, but still I don't trust it.

Somehow the control is not picking up the MIN ID from the common line on the ID GRV process.

More often than not if the tool retracts at X0 it's a crash!

So...

I always program ID grooves in g-code using MNP process. ID grooves are simple, usually just straight plunges, with chamfers to break the edges.

ToolCat Greg

Back