What's new
What's new

So is my SlantTurn finally finished?

mrogowski

Plastic
My 1981 SlantTurn 15 seems to have sprung a major oil leak. Hydraulic oil from the X axis "shaft" portion of the turret is leaking out quite heavily when on, and when I turn the unit off, the whole turret assembly simply creeps down to the very bottom of the shaft and oil comes spewing out the very bottom. I can only assume a seal of some sort is shot.

Could there be a relative easy fix for this or would this require a major overhaul? Given the fact that it is 33+ years old, is it time to put this old girl out to pasture I wonder....

Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

I can only assume a seal of some sort is shot.

Given the fact that it is 33+ years old, is it time to put this old girl out to pasture I wonder....

IMHO, a leaky seal does not mean you need to put the machine down.

Rip it apart, replace the blown seal and call it good.

sounds like it could be no more than the little cylinder that holds the failsafe axis brake open during run
the drooping down thing could be just a couple springs or a friction plate
I have no direct knowledge of your exact machine but it could be quite simple
or not
as phil says
open it up and see
we fix worse stuff all the time

Yeah, thanks guys. I contacted a Mazak tech who worked on it before and explained the situation to him. He said the parts needed are minimal cost but the labour cost (for me) is over the top. That, plus I know the chuck bearings need replacing too. I simply don't have the confidence to tackle it myself so I guess its time to look for another unit. Lord knows what could go on it next.

I twas a good machine for what I used it for. :) Thanks for responding.

Now, onto that SQT 200M I found on a classified site...

Best,
Mark

I think your oil leak is only the counterbalance cylinder has thrown the seal. There is only one single acting polypak or similar on it. Its a $5 buck seal. I'll,predict now, its split at the bottom of the vee.

The cylinder drops out of the bottom of the saddle with just a few screws. But you have to reach down the top of the slide with an allen key on a 1/2" drive extension to remove the screw that holds the cylinder rod to the bracket on the saddle. You will see the cylinder if you look down from the top of the saddle with a torch*. The cylinder is right beside the ballscrew.

If you have drawings or a parts list it will show it. Its not a big job. I'm sure you can get the cylinder out, with out lifting the saddle.

Regards The other Phil.

* Thinking you guys dont call a torch a torch. I'm thinking of the aluminium canister thing containing batteries, a globe and a switch. Not the hot spanner veriaty.

Last edited:
I think your oil leak is only the counterbalance cylinder has thrown the seal. There is only one single acting polypak or similar on it. Its a $5 buck seal. I'll,predict now, its split at the bottom of the vee.

The cylinder drops out of the bottom of the saddle with just a few screws. But you have to reach down the top of the slide with an allen key on a 1/2" drive extension to remove the screw that holds the cylinder rod to the bracket on the saddle. You will see the cylinder if you look down from the top of the saddle with a torch*. The cylinder is right beside the ballscrew.

If you have drawings or a parts list it will show it. Its not a big job. I'm sure you can get the cylinder out, with out lifting the saddle.

Regards The other Phil.

* Thinking you guys dont call a torch a torch. I'm thinking of the aluminium canister thing containing batteries, a globe and a switch. Not the hot spanner veriaty.

Interesting. Thanks for this :) At this point I have nothing to lose. I will check it out.
Thanks Phil :)

unlike me who will swag any Mazak question whether I've seen it or not (I have not seen an '81 slant 15 just a similar circa slant 30 ATC mill center ,Yeah, I know, ford ranger and F450 but what the hell)
if south hemi Phil says it
you can probly bank it

You will see the cylinder if you look down from the top of the saddle with a torch*.

And that is why we don't call it a torch.

So here are some pics of the setup. The first one shows where the oil is oozing out. The second is the counterbalance, mounted behind the saddle(?). Notice there is no leaking oil in the second pic. Is this normal for a failed seal?

Thanks again for the input.

6.jpg

9.jpg

im limited to a phone this week for internet so i can't make out much from second pic. that said
pic one makes sense for where oil may come out
and if machtool says it i still believe it from what i see. theres always a chance its something else but you gotta start somewhere and its all makes sense so far

Back