What's new
What's new

Some dumb Mazatrol questions ??

rockfish

Titanium
Ok.........I loaded the dimensions of my chuck jaws to use the chuck barrier and when I tried to bring the tool up to within an inch of the chuck.......I hit the chuck barrier. The tool won't go any closer. Now, how do you adjust this so that you can actually machine up to the chuck jaws ???

Also.......does anyone have the tool data for commonly used tools that explain the angles that they want on the tool data page ???

I picked up my roughing tool and finishing tool with the tool eye..........but haven't entered any info beyond that. Maybe that's what's causing the chuck barrier to be so far away from the chuck ???

More dumb questions to follow.

Frank

I just run mazatrol without the chuck barriers and am cautious of my programming.

If I am turning something with the tailstock in I just make sure I use my TPC's to make sure it starts at 0 on the Z and 10 on the X then there are no crashes.

I've never really found a reason to use the barriers. I run an older style of mazatrol so maybe on the new ones you cannot cancel them completely?

Show me a picture of the tool data page if you can.

If it is the same as mine I can help you with the tool geometry.

Any tool catalogue also lists all the geometry for said tools. You can do some really neat stuff when the geometry is set correctly. The other day I used a tool with a weird angle to create undercuts into the lower od and the face of a shoulder to make a nice transition where they can grind the shoulder and the od after HT without setting it back in the lathe.

Chuck barriers are great if they're set right.

On the "Setup" page there is a spot that asks for the jaw #. I have a soft key that takes me to a jaw info page where it stores the measurements of a bunch of jaws. I have hard jaws setup, and also one called "collet" that I use when I run my S26 chuck.

My machine has a help window that shows what the A, B, C and D measurements are. One of those is the length the jaw protrudes from the chuck. Adjust that to get closer to the chuck. Also check to make sure someone didn't miss a decimal place and put a bogus number in there, OR that the jaw # specified on the setup page actually matches the jaws you have in the machine.

Picking up the X and Z on your tool eye should have you good to go as far as the barrier goes, so I'm leaning toward a bad dimension set on the jaw info page, or a bad jaw number on the setup page.

For tool data, W and Cnmgs are 80* with 95* front clearance (if you have a 5* relief holder. If it's a 0* holder, use 90 on the TD page)

DNMG would 93 and 55 (i'll just assume you have 5* clearance tool holders)

Best thing to do is look the holder up in the catalog and use those numbers on your TD page. It's not hard to find this info and makes life easier when you're not lying to the control.

Also, what control do you have? My info is for a T-Plus, but I'm guessing it would be similar for an older control.

Back