What's new
What's new

Speed and feed assistance for mazatrol vtc mill

bguminey

Plastic
Hi everyone I'm a noobie at mazatrol basically been teaching myself since the training at my place of employment is none existent basically I have a pretty good foundation on speeds and feeds for face mills and end mills but would like a good idea on drills and taps I know not to mess with feed on taps but cutting speed would be nice even if there's a good calculator someone knows about anything would be helpful thanks in advance

Bryan

I'd say the Machinery Handbook, but that is an outdated POS... Though it does give some good baseline info, a $10 used one from the past
20 years will be just as good as a $60 new one.... And as much as I hate it, I think everybody should have one... Just make sure
you get one that has the thumb tabs, makes life a lot easier.

Manufacturers web sites, the people who make your cutting tools will have some charts and crap..... Those can get very tedious to
wade through though.

There are also at least 3 members here who sell speed and feed calculators, that aren't very spendy.

Do a search for ThreadPal, it will pop up the only one I know the name of.. I have the thread pal program
and I'm pretty happy with it and have previously used the ME consultant on a trial basis.

You'll also probably get a lot more help up in the CNC section, instead of down here in the Mazak only corner.

Hi everyone I'm a noobie at mazatrol basically been teaching myself since the training at my place of employment is none existent basically I have a pretty good foundation on speeds and feeds for face mills and end mills but would like a good idea on drills and taps I know not to mess with feed on taps but cutting speed would be nice even if there's a good calculator someone knows about anything would be helpful thanks in advance

Bryan
mazatrol has a feature where if you use auto it gives suggested sfpm and inch per rev feed
usually it is in the ball park correct. it uses the material data at the top and the tool data and gives suggestions on feeds and speeds, usually the ? or auto is in lower left corner of screen when the cursor in the the right spot.
the tool file will ask if you have carbide or hss tool and how many flutes as well as max depth of cut. you have to think twice on that. i had a woodruff cutter i put .125 max depth of cut because it was only .125 wide and .75 dia. but i needed to go down in a hole and circular mill a groove. because i put .125 max depth of cut in tool file rather than go all the way to the bottom of hole and cut groove it wanted to take .125 depth passes until it reached hole bottom. something i did not want it to do

mazatrol have some pretty advanced auto calculate speed and feed and depth and width of cut built into mazatrol.
to me it is like having a race car and then asking where to take a taxi

I was looking at Gwizard what started this whole issue was two of the trainees in this program they call a training course jumped me and basically belittled me after I said I auto set my drills and taps I'm new to mazatrol but not machining I basically run every tool at 6000 rpm and go from there I feel 6k is a very good starting point I honestly was content at this point just auto setting my drills and taps since they don't break on me. I turned this into well you want to jump me well I'll come back with you'll regret it so I wanted a good source of knowledge to turn and posted in mazak corner since mazatrol has to be different in every way and not use rpm or ipm

mazatrol

I was looking at Gwizard what started this whole issue was two of the trainees in this program they call a training course jumped me and basically belittled me after I said I auto set my drills and taps I'm new to mazatrol but not machining I basically run every tool at 6000 rpm and go from there I feel 6k is a very good starting point I honestly was content at this point just auto setting my drills and taps since they don't break on me. I turned this into well you want to jump me well I'll come back with you'll regret it so I wanted a good source of knowledge to turn and posted in mazak corner since mazatrol has to be different in every way and not use rpm or ipm
mazatrol usually deals in sfpm and inch per rev feed. it is easier when you get used to it. mazatrol is just auto calculating for tool diameter and sfpm so if you spot drill a small hole it will crank up the rpm to keep sfpm the same
i use tool manufacturers data on speed and feeds. be aware normally they give max numbers. for example if spade drilling a deep hole with no through spindle coolant you might not notice the reduce sfpm 25% for deep holes and reduce another 25% for lack of through spindle coolant at the very bottom of the chart
........ also if a spade drill is resharpened and the coating is gone then without the TIN coating or whatever other type of coating you again have to reduce the sfpm

I've got all my manufacture catalogs on a shelf at my desk. Can't really run close to the edge without a decent baseline (or possibly expensive trial and error). I've started added mfg website shortcuts to my phone for the most frequently used. Running a Guhring 5510 drill in 316? I go to the Guhring book and set it for 150sfm (175-200 w/ 1000psi). Then I'm in the ball park and I can read the tool wear signs and tweak as needed.

One of my younger employees started bumping the feed up on a Sandvik 880 drill after I had left for the day. I unexpected showed up a little later and saw what he was doing. He was trying to break a chip... which I commend him for. But I had to sit him down and have the talk. What are your upper and lower recommended limits? He had no idea what I was talking about. I had to explain, "there is some science behind cutting tools and its not all hocus pokus and magic. Maybe there was a better insert geometry for the drill on this application? Don't just start poking numbers in... it usually turns out expensive for me"

Make educated decisions. The information is available and your tool sales guys "should" love to help you run at the most optimum levels possible. It can be time consuming at first, but after a while of doing it right, the stuff you use everyday sticks and you're not running to the books every five minutes.

I've got all my manufacture catalogs on a shelf at my desk. Can't really run close to the edge without a decent baseline (or possibly expensive trial and error). I've started added mfg website shortcuts to my phone for the most frequently used. Running a Guhring 5510 drill in 316? I go to the Guhring book and set it for 150sfm (175-200 w/ 1000psi). Then I'm in the ball park and I can read the tool wear signs and tweak as needed.

One of my younger employees started bumping the feed up on a Sandvik 880 drill after I had left for the day. I unexpected showed up a little later and saw what he was doing. He was trying to break a chip... which I commend him for. But I had to sit him down and have the talk. What are your upper and lower recommended limits? He had no idea what I was talking about. I had to explain, "there is some science behind cutting tools and its not all hocus pokus and magic. Maybe there was a better insert geometry for the drill on this application? Don't just start poking numbers in... it usually turns out expensive for me"

Make educated decisions. The information is available and your tool sales guys "should" love to help you run at the most optimum levels possible. It can be time consuming at first, but after a while of doing it right, the stuff you use everyday sticks and you're not running to the books every five minutes.

Nothing gets more annoying than thumbing through a book full of "worthless" knowledge just to find the recommended ranges for your cutting tool. Any time I can find the same book as a PDF, so I can CTRL-F that shit, I do. Such a waste of time looking stuff up that you have already looked up 4-5 times:angry:.

*By worthless knowledge, I mean cutting tool speeds/feeds that don't pertain to you, but may pertain to you or someone someday

Nothing gets more annoying than thumbing through a book full of "worthless" knowledge just to find the recommended ranges for your cutting tool. Any time I can find the same book as a PDF, so I can CTRL-F that shit, I do. Such a waste of time looking stuff up that you have already looked up 4-5 times:angry:.

*By worthless knowledge, I mean cutting tool speeds/feeds that don't pertain to you, but may pertain to you or someone someday

Good idea. I'll add that I have the important pages tagged with those little sticky arrows, some even color coded, so that helps. But then they go an update to a new catalog, grrr.

Not too long ago I started realizing there had to be a better way. I saw I was doing it "the time consuming way" because I didn't have time to make the process more efficient... lol, exactly. That's when I started putting the pages I use most on my iphone. One folder on the main screen has the Kennametal page for HPHV endmills, page for Mill1 cutters, page for Guhring Drills, page for Guhring Taps, and a couple others. Its still a work in progress.

I like the CNTL-F method though. I may use that when I'm working at the PC. Dumps it into the browser favorites I assume?

i start with tool manufacturers recommendations first. i just use a posted note of colored paper to mark page where recommended speeds and feeds are maybe cost $.01 for the colored posted note sticky paper.
...... i also have an excel chart with every tool holder (we have many different length holders) and tool we use and every sfpm, feed, and material cut that has been used or tried in thousands of programs.
1st then i know the normal range and any sudden tool failures are noted with possible cause in excel chart
2nd i learned cast iron can be machined different than steel. with large castings often the rpm was reduced but the feed rate kept the same which causes the inch per tooth to go up
with drill bits we found, often going 50% rpm at 200% normal ipt or inch per tooth feed and often drill bit last 2 to 10x longer with the same amount of time drilling as feed at inch per minute is the same
with milling cutters often the sfpm is down to 400 or even 300 sfpm because of part vibration but feed rate jumps to .012" or more per tooth. again tool life went up with same inch per minute feed.
sure i try the recommended tool maker settings and when i rediscover the reason feeds and speeds were changed then they normally are put back as programmed they way the last operator found from experience what worked best,
the excel chart with all tool holders and tools is just that a tool that i use and it has helped me find different programs where because i know the ranges already tried on thousands of programs i can increase the cutting rate often 20 to 200% ............ it does not hurt anything to record was has been tried before and to learn from the previous experiences both the previous success and failures

Back