What's new
What's new

T-Plus rigid tapping dwell parameter?

ManualEd

Stainless
I'd like to set a dwell for rigid tap with the main spindle.
Tapping above 300RPM will pull the tap from the collet a bit or the part from the chuck.

Any parameter for this?
I see one for the MDR but not for just tapping.

THanks.

If your using ER-32 live tooling just get a "ER32 Floating Tap Collet".
I use it all the time and works great.

If your using ER-32 live tooling just get a "ER32 Floating Tap Collet".
I use it all the time and works great.

Thats the backup plan if there is no parameter for it. I'll call Mazak on monday.
The Iscar GTIN aren't too bad, but a set for metric and ansi taps would be pretty pricey.

Are you taping with main spindle and stationary tap or with stopped spindle and rotating tap? On SQT's Mazak used to make main spindle rigid tapping an option but rigid tapping with live tools was standard on MY machines.

Are you taping with main spindle and stationary tap or with stopped spindle and rotating tap? On SQT's Mazak used to make main spindle rigid tapping an option but rigid tapping with live tools was standard on MY machines.

Main spindle and stationary tap.
Having them separate seems silly. I think the control only lists one rigid tap option in there.

I know it is silly, but thats the way they did it. So you can buy tension/compression type tap holder Bilz quick change is my favorite (everyone makes them now) or use your life tool holder to tap it.

Good luck.

I know it is silly, but thats the way they did it. So you can buy tension/compression type tap holder Bilz quick change is my favorite (everyone makes them now) or use your life tool holder to tap it.

Good luck.

I think I may buy the ER32 floating collets as I need them.
They'll be handy for live tool tapping, as its not a new machine so it doesn't synch up quite perfectly!

I think I may buy the ER32 floating collets as I need them.
They'll be handy for live tool tapping, as its not a new machine so it doesn't synch up quite perfectly!

I have been using the ER 32 spring loaded collet for well over 10 years now, love it.
For the feed rate in the tapping process make sure its a little less than the pitch of the tap.

I have been using the ER 32 spring loaded collet for well over 10 years now, love it.
For the feed rate in the tapping process make sure its a little less than the pitch of the tap.

Thats said every time spring loaded tapping comes up.
Any reason not to just program a normal feed rate? If its spring loaded in both directions, it shouldn't matter?

We are using these spring loaded ER32 collets on our T2 and T3 Machines without rigid tapping and it works really well.
We are always program same feed rate as the pitch on the tapp, no problem at all.
At the bottom the feed stops before spindle so I can see the tap is pulled out some, and that is probably whats happen on your machine aswell.
If you are using a lot of different taps in your production a floating holder like this could be an option, available from ER11 to ER40.
1265.png

Any reason not to just program a normal feed rate? If its spring loaded in both directions, it shouldn't matter?

Spring loaded tap collets are only in one direction, not two.
A pitch exactly as the thread will work but when it reverses I prefer not to crowed the action.
So taking advantage of the spring action at the reverse point will have no crowing which I believe was your original problem with the tap pulling.

I use these from iscar
1428.jpg
The recommendation from iscar is to do as Mr.E says to program slightly lower pitch than the thread for the reason he says.
But I have studied the behaivor of my T2 & T3 machines and the best for me is to use correct pitch.

Spring loaded tap collets are only in one direction, not two.
A pitch exactly as the thread will work but when it reverses I prefer not to crowed the action.
So taking advantage of the spring action at the reverse point will have no crowing which I believe was your original problem with the tap pulling.

I figured it was something like that.

I ended up getting a ¼", ⅜" and ½" tap collet from Iscar.
They were only $98 ea, and they're the most common ones I use.
Should be handy for the live tool tapping too.

Back