What's new
What's new

T1 Optional Stop Question

dodgin

Hot Rolled
I've done some searching and it looks like this one may be half beaten to death, but no resolution exactly.

One of the guys I work with is running an '82 vintage Slant 15 with T-1 controls. He's drilling and tapping a hole, wants to option stop so he can put some tapping fluid on the tap after the drill operation. He's been working with this machine for a while so obviously at this point he has work arounds, but he got me involved and now I have to see it through. After the drill operation he returns home and calls an M01. The machine recognizes the M01 (whether the opt stop button is highlighted or not), and stops dead in its tracks. The cycle start button is still glowing along with spindle stop, but he can't continue on with the rest of the program after the option stop sets in, he's gotta reset and start the next process manually.

Any ideas on this? Seems like it should be something simple.

How do you program a tap on a T1?

I didn't get the most in depth look at it because I was focused on the optional stop, but it looked like a single process with about 4 different lines with coords plus the M commands for the necessary spindle directions.

You can put the tap cycle in a separate program, then make the second program the next program in the end statement of the first program. And vice versa make the first program the next program in the end statement of your tapping program. I've done it this way to have a program stop for a part flip in the chuck.

Go figure he cleared out the program. What I can remember is:

P1 M3 M8

P2 Drill

P3 M9 M5

P4 M1

P5 SNG

I thought it was strange there wasn't any MNP in there, because the turret went home at M5 M9 and then hit the M1, whereas the T Plus I worked on I distinctly remember having to do MNP because an M1 would halt the program right the last tool dead in front of the work. Also positive that I saw this run numerous times with option stop both on and off and it stopped at that M1 regardless of that selection.

How do you program a tap on a T1?

CAREFULLY!!!

This was quite a bit of trial and error.. Spindle set for a 5 second ramp. T/C holder
obviously.. I refer to this pic every time I need to tap, pain in the ass as to when
the spindle actually reverses, and the S3 just gives the spindle time to reverse without
moving very far... It only takes the 5 seconds when going from 0, or on a reverse. From
3rpm to max, it ignores the ramp time and just does it.

As for the M1, I've NEVER got it to work, it just hangs. I've given up trying,
actually, I gave up years ago. Now when I need an optional stop, I just put an
end block in the center of the program and restart... Not efficient, but its better
than nothing.

35320214921_6b5c1ce566_c.jpg

I have also given up trying to get M1 to work. As stated above I have resorted to branch to anther work number in the END line when I need a stop. As for tapping my program looks similar to Bob W above except I use G32 on the feed line instead of G1. When you use G32 you cant use an M code.
G32 feed in
G4 X1.5 M4 (dwell and spindle reverse)
G32 feed out
The dwell is how long it will take for your spindle to stop and reverse (trial and error on this one).
You must use a T/C tapping head and never use single block or feed hold during the cycle because it will break the tap when it reverses spindle direction and will bottom out the holder.

Back