What's new
What's new

Does anyone hard turn on older Mazaks?

ManualEd

Stainless
I have some products I'd like to get into that involve hard turning 3" D2 @64rc on a 96' SQT15MS.

My spindle isn't the greatest, so I'll likely have it rebuilt after the holidays.

Theres no backlash in my screws, and I can't find any movement where it shouldn't be in any axis.

Does anyone do any hard turning on their older Mazaks with good results?

I need to hit a sub 16 micro inch finish for a needle bearing surface.
Is something like that achievable?

Thanks!

I have hard turned in QT10N T2 -86.
But it was around -98 so the machine wasnt that old.
If I remember correct I had to select highest finish and set the feed on 10%

My 79 M4 made the injection molds for a lot of dairy containers in the 80's. Like Yogurt and cottage cheese. It also made tube bending dies. Those parts were turned after hardening with ceramic inserts. I'd ask how it was done, but the guy who did it checked out a few years ago.

So you could create a new custom material definition set-up to cut at 10% in the "cutting conditions".

No, that will only affect the auto set of roufh cutting, we set the feed to 10% on the panel (red display) to be able to get the finish we wanted at the finish cut.

Is it a T2 machine?

The SQT will hard-turn just fine. It's all in the rigidity of your setup, and your choice of cutting insert. Carbide is not going to like Rc64 tool steel....

No, that will only affect the auto set of roufh cutting, we set the feed to 10% on the panel (red display) to be able to get the finish we wanted at the finish cut.

Is it a T2 machine?
Write a turning unit with only a finish tool. Set your roughness to 0. Whatever feed rate you input for roughing will now be used as the feed rate for your finish pass. Even though you are not rough turning, it will still use that feed rate on your finish pass. This will give you very good control of your feed rate, without using your override.

Last edited:
I have been playing around with hard turning on our 1987 QT-15. Our material is 58 Rc, chrome plated rod. Another guy from this forum turned me onto a new insert for hard turning. It is a Seco TH1000. I am using this in a CNMG 433 at 80 SFM, .05 doc and .006 ipr. So far the results are very promising. Just starting to experiment, but I LIKE it!

The SQT will hard-turn just fine. It's all in the rigidity of your setup, and your choice of cutting insert. Carbide is not going to like Rc64 tool steel....

Thats what I thought until I tried the Second TH1000 inserts in IHCP!

I'd be using at least a ceramic, but most likely a CNMG CBN insert.

Is a 16 RA achievable? I can't even hit that in softer steel with the spindle the way it is right now, but hopefully a new spindle would make it possible.

With a rebuilt spindle and the right setup, you should hit that without too much fuss. Hell, we get 6-8 Ra on a Haas!

16 RA is achievable with hard turning, but yes, your spindle will have to be tight. Very hard steel likes to turn shiny and smooth!

Your chuck and chuck jaw workholding has to be tight and optimal as well. Any part runout, push, or wiggle, and you won't be succesful.

The right combo of feed/speed/d-o-c is critical for best surface finish. You will probably need a few scrap parts to figure it all out, as re-cutting the same part trying to get consistent results will frustrate you.

Get the spindle rebuilt, and give it a shot!

ToolCat

Write a turning unit with only a finish tool. Set your roughness to 0. Whatever feed rate you input for roughing will now be used as the feed rate for your finish pass. Even though you are not rough turning, it will still use that feed rate on your finish pass. This will give you very good control of your feet rate, without using your override.

I didnt know that, have to test this :)

Back