What's new
What's new

trouble with tailstock

jimmycornwell

Plastic
i have a shaft part which with an od turndown, zc keyway, drill and tap face for 7/16 14 bolt. the problem i have is with center drilling the shaft, then stopping the spindle and advancing the tailstock before the od turndown. tool path is centerdrill, drill 3/8", tap for 7/16- 14, and then advance tailstock for od turndown. if i put m741 after the tap i get a an error because the spindle starts before tailstock moves to shaft. if i put m741 on the same line as the tap, tailstock advances before the tap cycle begins. am i putting m code in the wrong place? been working on this part all day and still cant figure it out. could the problem be that the tailstock/quill are not properly defined in setup?

Last edited:
Put the tailstock M-codes on a separate Pn0 M-code process inserted between the tapping process and OD turn process. Do put the M-codes at the end of any existing drilling or tapping process.

I like to do a tool change (manual program) to next tool, then add a M code line with M05 M09. Then below it add another line m-code line with M741 so your tool is already index to the right tool and as soon as the tail stock engages BLAMO instant chips.

Back