What's new
What's new

V515/40 Spindle lube issues

EckFab

Aluminum
1995 Mazak V515/40

Back in November we started to get a lot of noise from the spindle, to loud to stand at 3k so we statted to investigate. Machine is fairly new to us and always seemed loud from day one but this was way too loud. Dug in and the spindle lube system which uses lube usa air mixing valves to blow air and oil onto the spindle bearings and gears was in bad shape. Previous owners ran dirt for air and terrible way oil. Come to find out both systems were heavily contaminated so we cleaned everything and replaced the pricy air metering valves/lines to bearings. Have everything set back up by Lube USA spec and it seems to move a ton of air. It's loud, like a blow gun wide open inside the head. Our 10hp piston compressor (40cfm) running this machine solely kicks on every 3-5 minutes. It seems like a ton of air but matches what the book calls for.. machine was originally set up with mixing valves choking air more but we feel if the bearings aren't already shot that the extra air wouldn't hurt. Surely it wouldn't blow the lube right off its intended spot.

Does anyone have feedback on how much air their 515 consumes? Not wanting to buy a new compressor but we have various other needs for the compressor already and really stress it at times.

Thanks in advance,
Ethan

I do not know this machine but that seems like alot of air.
hopefully hit and miss or Justin will stop in. they may have Mazak spec

Mazak service has been at a loss for the entire concept of replacing the spindle lube mixing valves let alone what to set them. Lube USA says In their books Mazak said to set them at 2 full turns. I guess they use a $10k logging machine to magnify and watch how much oil and the consistency of it's flow which we of course don't have lol. I think a screw compressor would solve it but it's still a ton of air just for bearing lubrication.

Now that we have it back together were back to diagnosing what bearing or bearings is cooked. We get growls from the spindle with the vibration originating from the upper area above motor. It's a non thru coolant machine.

Back