What's new
What's new

30 degree part off chamfer?

Tim Osborne

Plastic
Hopefully someone can help with what should be a simple programming problem with our Mazak QT10 with Mazatrol T Plus.

We've used Fanuc/Yasnac controlled turning centres for years but recently bought a used QT10 for some simple parts we need to make. So we are complete novices in Mazatrol, and we are struggling somewhat.

So, the problem:
Family of parts, some of which are from hexagon stock. These I wish to chamfer the part off face of the component at 30 degrees.

Chamfering at 45 degrees is easy enough. Select a 'Groove' process, type 4, and define the chamfer size in the sequence definition.

But how do you do something other that 45 degree? Note we want to use the parts catcher (if that makes any difference)

Tried various groove types and tool moves but not had any success. I'm sure, like most things, it is easy when you know how!

Thanks

What Steelcutter said is a good way but you could also do it with one tool. A method I have used is to just cut the chamfer 1st with a #2 groove (programmed off right side of groove). Then have a #0 (prog. off left side) come in and chop it off. There's probably a dozen other ways we have done that depending on the part, that is the easiest I can recall from memory.

Also you have to change user par. # U48 to 1 to enable parts catcher ...not 100% sure, but I think you have to use groove cycle #4 or 5 for the catcher to activate as it recognizes those 2 as "cutoff cycles". User Par. # U54 will control the max rpm during cutoff.

T Plus user here. . .

Parts catcher is activated by an M48 (M49 to put it down). I just M code process before the cutoff tool.

I, also, would use Type 2 to generate the chamfer, and 0 to cut it off.

Old T-2 control, so no cool grooving options like the T+. ;)

I use a bar puller and a cutoff tool in same station. I regularly program the cutoff operation and bar pull in a Manual Process (MNP) operation--basically G-code inside Mazatrol program. This is not as automated as a canned grooving cycle, but it gets the job done. Being G-code, you can program any angle you wish.

The only other reason I use the MNP process is to easily program an insert drill to punch a hole in the part and then use a BAR IN process to rough bore with the insert drill. I describe and probe the insert drill as a regular boring bar.

How much of a chamfer? Can you just profile it with the turning tool?

Other wise, the Type 2/Type 4 combination is the way I'd go.

That's the good thing about Mazatrol. Plenty of ways to skin the cat!

Back