What's new
What's new

No Lube points to Ballscrew thrust bearings?

Dave Cross

Titanium
So I am pulling my Z axis thrust bearings on my sqt10ms and notice there are no lube lines going to the ends of the screw for the thrust bearings...
How are these things supposed to get lube!?!

Really? I've never seen a thrust bearing without lube. All the thrust bearings I have used are TAC style, which come dry. What kind of grease are you guys putting in these and how much?

I have to say I would much rather have my bearings lubed.

Call NTK. Their the ones that grease them.

Sealed is as sealed does eh? :skep:

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

My Okuma Millac has lube lines going to the thrusts. It's the only machine I have that has lube lines to the thrusts, all the others have sealed bearings.

I bought NSK bearings which aren't sealed, honestly I haven't seen sealed angular contact bearinga before (likely because I have never seen greased tac bearings eh?)

I was also pretty surprised to find a 6000 series bearing on the other end of the Z.

All the high end Jap machines I have seen inside use lube for their thrust bearings, Matsuura, Nakamura, Misui Seiki, etc.

Some apps could have grease packs. But never seen a lube line to thrusts, although I think it would be a swell deal!

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Mazak goes with one lube at install on everything i have dealt with.
About a 50% pack high quality #2 ,i've used both lithium and moly based with less dirt build up with the lith

Well I did some calling around, seems 25tac62's are available as "lubed" or "greased".

So Wippin, I would have ASSumed that I need to greased/sealed style, but you say you pack them? Or are they not that sealed and you put more grease in them?

#2 makes me think oil, is there a #2 grease? I am not familiar with this.

Have any of you guys ever done the thrust bearings and ballscrew on the X on one of these? I have a couple questions on how to do that...
First of all I assume the cylinder on the X is only to "help" support the X axis in the home position?
What is the best way to be able to move the X axis far enough down to get at the motor coupling? And more importantly do I have to remove the Milling motor and big ass bracket it sits on to gain access to the coupler and bearings on that end?

Thanks for the help.

#2 makes me think oil, is there a #2 grease? I am not familiar with this.

Wip's referring to #2 grease.

Mazak recommends the classic Kluber Isoflex NBU15 for not only spindle bearings, but thrust bearings as well.

I am with Wip though, any high quality #2 lithium grease will work fine for the thrust bearings. I like a good, "pricey" synthetic grease. MSC has a good selection, where you actually know the brand name, unlike McMaster.

Bearings i have purchased for screw thrust application are generally angular contact sets,they come in oiled for shelf presevation, i then pack them with a high quality #2 weight grease. I have run into simple 6### series ball rollers on the far end. I have not run into sheilded or seal on the motor end.

Well I did some calling around, seems 25tac62's are available as "lubed" or "greased.
You can buy those pre-greased and sealed. Part number would be 25TAC65B DDG. The DDG part is two seals and grease. Although that’s a recent addition.

I’m with the other guys, # 2 lithium. Putting Kluber in them is a waste of good Kluber. They turn so slow in comparison to spindle bearings. Anything that says, resists water or resists wash out is a good candidate.

I just checked my catalog. 3cc per bearing for a %50 fill is what NSK recommend. If you were inclined to measure it.

It doesn’t tell me what grease the factory filled ones are. It just says “Pre-packed with WPH waterproof grease” No mention of being synthetic. The ones I’ve had a apart, the grease was Blue.

Phil.

Back