What's new
What's new

What to do with an old mill?

SMT

Hot Rolled
I bought a 1989 V10 mill (M32) about 5 years ago on Craigslist.

It's been a great machine but currently has a cooked x axis drive. We're told that a drive repair may fix the issue or flush out another problem further down the line.

I've made the call to replace it and I have a used hmc on the way.

The scrap guy will give me $600 for it. Is it worth the effort to strip the drives and control off to try and sell them somehow or do you all think I should just junk the thing and be done with it?

xMjcPtv.jpg

5RFCgw4.jpg

YnwpVIv.jpg

I believe Mits was right around $2000.

No idea what it's worth running. I paid $5k for it 5 years ago and probably made $150k with it.

It owes me nothing. Still, I hate to just throw it out. It's against my nature :)

But I also don't have room to keep it.

No, posting here is the start of things for me.

Are the drives that work or control worth anything?

Sure. But it might take a really long time to sell them.

I'd think you could get close to your $5k back if it was running. But, I don't know for sure. It's a premium brand, though getting long in the tooth.

There's an active used parts market on ebay for machines of that age. I'm amazed what some parts go for. I guess from folks keeping old machines going who can't buy new. Look for sold parts like yours to see what they sold for, or if none, look at sellers of similar parts who have a lot of sold listings and see what they have parts like yours listed for..

I have someone interested in maybe buying the whole machine. If that falls through we can talk.

Id say running, an ebay price for that would be anywere from 6 to 12grand? I seen drives for that from realiable companies for $1,500 on there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

If the drive is different (the 1 you need) then 1 from our ajv 25/405 and or our v515-40 they would most likely sell it cheap. We actually did the same thing because guys beat it into the ground. Scrapped it and kept the electronics for our other machines. Came in handy! Id like to try and retrofit my m2 vqc with that m32. I dont know if thats even possible..haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back