What's new
What's new

What does a Vqc 20/50b actually wieght?!?

Jgryz450

Cast Iron
I have all the manuals and even called mazak ...3 times now and I keep hearing the machine weighs 10.5k? The larger bridge comes in at almost 12k? The Internet says 14k to 15k. And the riggers said almost 20k?!! Please who's ever moved one around please give me a real world idea. I bought one a week ago and well...tried to .....well actually put one on a rented penske 33,000lb straight truck (18k payload). And we were scared with what the riggers said we'd be over weight and since my dumbass rented a single axle not knowing better it felt top heavy and my buddy with the cdl got scared after a 3mile an hour speed bump and with what the riggers put in our heads ....we didn't want the 10k overwieght fine and the cost of being stranded so we decided to find another way to get it home to pa from Illinois ...regardless Its still there and I really want it home before I loose the parameters. (New battery in it though) another thing a rigging outfit says that It's to much machine for my garage? My floor is at least 5in. (Couldn't drill any further) and wants to store it at his warehouse and I can even hook it up and just pay the extra utility with the dollar square foot rent. To good to be true rite? Then it turns out the hours I can go (play) are the same I work so that idea is shot to hell.now I've been working on mazak for 18 years now and I'm extadic to now actually own one to be able to make whatever, whenever! (Life long dream) so, Apparently ajv's are heavier they actually do hit the 18k to 20k mark. Mazak says casting is different. Mine has the 24 tool carousel. No arm , just drum. So please. Fill me in on what you guys used to move it around. Guy down the street has a forklift rated for 13.5k. And after last weekend I'm thinking rent 2 just in case? Or is my manual and mazak correct? And the 13.5k will work?

My vqc20 50b was 6500kg when i picked it up. Luckily we took the bigger truck to pick it up or it would have been a trip wasted.

I also run mine in my shed whi has around 7 in slab and it seems to go ok. Im not whacking the ceap out of the tooling or material and was able to get her leveled out nicely. The are a very rigid machine
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Your 13.5k rating will likely be given with the load distance from the mast. Mazaks do not let you get the weight up to the mast!! Too much sheet metal to get close. You need a larger forktruck.

Trust me , I wish it did say what it weighed! See now again, 3 different wieght! Ugggg! Y the heck does the manual rate max at 5400kg and the regular size at 4700kg then? Since it's so old mazak only goes off the books they have. Would even be happy at 6500kg that's only a ton or 2 off ! Haha at work our ajv doesn't say ether to at least get an estimate. Wonder what my nicolas Correa wieght is with the 200in table? And the huge y and z column at work ?lol. I know people build there shop to there machines, I'm wondering if ten by ten plates would work for the footing for now? I already figured on taking the carasel off. (8ft doors) brick garage. Plus we have 70% torn off to get width to 8.5ft for transport. Anyway how can I post my manual on here to show yous?

When i picked mine up the literature indicated 5500kg. When we picked it up with the franner crane to unload it the crane scales indicated 6500kg. I dont think the literature factors in all the lubes in the tanks? Suffice to say, it doesnt hurt to be a little conservative. I was able to pull the front sheeting off my shed to install her. Mind you there was bugger all space left for the crane boom on top of the machine inside the shed. Where are you lifting it from? Are the factory lifting points still in place or are you using a forklift?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

I wish they were. Have to use a forklift. Thinking since no one around has one big enough I might rent 2 to pick it up and have truck drive out from under. I have skates but I don't think they will work until it's on concrete . One fella with a huge forklift is worried about the driveway. Seen you can also get forks thru the bottom large holes in the casting and jockey it around with skates on the back? But thanks for giving me an accurate wieght! This one's has oil as well. I need to repair the t.c. I found broken fingers. They changed tools by hand were it was last.

Could you please give me actual dimensions of her? Like how tall is she and at what points? My plan was to stick the head between the rafters but I noticed there are other tall features that aren't like a ajv.

Also if I can get the dimensions of the base and how many feet there are for some reason I account 5 large pads and one small one from the guy I bought it from that are currently laying in the coolant tank. I brought home the conveyor the tank the tool changer Shield and a bunch of other miscellaneous panels that we took off and without having machine here I can't measure anything up. I feel like a kid in a candy store I just can't wait to get everything going it's been a lifelong dream that have my own mazak and I'm glad I still be reading good things about this machine and once it's up and running and I figure out why it was breaking the fingers off in the tool changer it should be a good investment and hopefully last the rest of my life or until I can afford to buy a newer one ,although I am one of those people that when they buy something they hang on to it forever! 😆🌠😆🙄🙄🙄as long as my garage doesn't wind up looking like this .🏚 because then I'll be sleeping here ⛺ haha

Could you guys post pics of yours ? I enjoy looking at other people's for ideas. I mentioned before that mine is like brand new witch is supper rare. The buttons even look new, no fade or missing numbers. Table stills shines with the original grinding pattern, the cabinet has no dirt or dusr

I am away from my macine till the weekend but hapen to have some of the manuals in the car.
9758bfee9bf65fbd595d355bf1c894b2.jpg
9d04bd88772ee25026ac67ddf237c597.jpg
9e9976589a611e3d2652053ac8e1a8f6.jpg
3d2b3029a0872da58f3f878fc3d8c284.jpg
3018797ece56e0dcca47f8db604cc94a.jpg

If you search my name and look at my early posts you will find some pics from my install.

There are 6 support points on the base. We used a fork to load the machine onto the truck and a franner crane with slings underneath the base to lift it off and into place. The final positionining was using skates and the crane.

I recently had to move the machine to a new location in the same shed. I ended up making my own skates to do the job..
a834da33bb3ce111987e8b4070fa8d08.jpg
adafd48408d98812a673bd79e71e48b7.jpg
138f3c268fd1f69ea84c0961301dbead.jpg
689a1c17e5719cafc92ebdbc0117ab0c.jpg
d5ebbfd7e8d452cdff9232916129d9f1.jpg

We were able to push the old girl into place fairly easily. Concrete is smooth tho

Thank you! And I agree. It changes invisible tools great! Just not the real ones. Lol. I hope it's just the carasel put of alignment. I'm now thinking instead of in the garage she will go outside. I would like to dig up part of the macadum and pour a pad and build an extension to the garage. If I do it rite I won't even loose a bay door. Great pics by the way! I wonder how much it is to rent one of those cranes? Forklifts are 300 plus 250 transport a day for the 13.5k. I got my application in for 3phase finally. I don't want to run a rotary converter. Don't think I'll have much luck. Plus the garage sucks up alotta power and needs it's own power source.

So outa curiosity have you have any real issues with the machine? Looks like ours are the same model and year. I'm hoping that since it's a mazak it acts like one. Haha. First thing I wanna do is a week of maintenance on er. Change all fluids, complete wipe down, pull covers back and clean all the dogs and switches. Repair whats needs to be, Pretty much try to make it new again. Hopefully in the future I can find a probe setup and a 4th axis, settle for an indexer but really want a live 4th that will obey an indexing unit like the horizontal do. I seen people make mistakes restarting units with the index in a manual program. With a index unit it will follow automatically whatever you set it at. Beautiful!

I don't see that drill going through the tool changer! Haha. It looks like your baby was hardly ever used. You can always tell from the paint were the operator stands how much is worn off. I wonder why they went green and white on some and blue and white on others? I was thinking black and white like the new mazak says? Seen one on ebay and it looked good. If you don't mind me asking...what did.you give for the vqc? I wound up getting mine with 21 tool holders, a new battery in the cabinet, and a rebuilt power supply for the spindle drive (800$) from Mitsubishi for 3,650$ and 500$ was to load it on the truck (witch we took back off the next day)haha . I got a deal because the fella had a 2000 AJV with the same exact envelope but ,big plus spindle,m+ control,80 tool changer, 50cat 6,000rpm direct drive spindle, with 1,300ipm x and y and 1,100imp z Rapids. And I believe you can cut up to 326ipm In mazatrol, it's super fast! And he has ALOT of work for it. 30,000$ for the machine. It'll pay for itself in less then 2weeks!! DAAAM RITE?!!! Haha. He runs 3 shifts too. So 2 weeks is like 6weeks to us.

So outa curiosity have you have any real issues with the machine? Looks like ours are the same model and year. I'm hoping that since it's a mazak it acts like one. Haha. First thing I wanna do is a week of maintenance on er. Change all fluids, complete wipe down, pull covers back and clean all the dogs and switches. Repair whats needs to be, Pretty much try to make it new again. Hopefully in the future I can find a probe setup and a 4th axis, settle for an indexer but really want a live 4th that will obey an indexing unit like the horizontal do. I seen people make mistakes restarting units with the index in a manual program. With a index unit it will follow automatically whatever you set it at. Beautiful!
I have been very fortunate in my purchase. It was supposedly used in a prototype room before the program was put into main manufacture.

The machine is in very good condition considering its age. It had flat batteries which I have since changed and a few of the lube drain lines perished. A couple of atc fingers missing and a leak in the load balance cylinder but thats about it. Getting the manuals with the machine has helped in getting her going and the support on here has made an extreme difference.

I currently mostly drip feed eia on a lot of 3d type stuff as the memory in the unit is rather small. Also you will need an axis drive for the 4th which are available on ebay. Not sure if you need to update software as well tho

I don't see that drill going through the tool changer! Haha. It looks like your baby was hardly ever used. You can always tell from the paint were the operator stands how much is worn off. I wonder why they went green and white on some and blue and white on others? I was thinking black and white like the new mazak says? Seen one on ebay and it looked good. If you don't mind me asking...what did.you give for the vqc? I wound up getting mine with 21 tool holders, a new battery in the cabinet, and a rebuilt power supply for the spindle drive (800$) from Mitsubishi for 3,650$ and 500$ was to load it on the truck (witch we took back off the next day)haha . I got a deal because the fella had a 2000 AJV with the same exact envelope but ,big plus spindle,m+ control,80 tool changer, 50cat 6,000rpm direct drive spindle, with 1,300ipm x and y and 1,100imp z Rapids. And I believe you can cut up to 326ipm In mazatrol, it's super fast! And he has ALOT of work for it. 30,000$ for the machine. It'll pay for itself in less then 2weeks!! DAAAM RITE?!!! Haha. He runs 3 shifts too. So 2 weeks is like 6weeks to us.
Yeah that drill operation took a bit of tweaking to get sorted. Manual insert. My manual mill just didnt have the depth.
From what I understand blue was the colour in the US. Green everywhere else. If I were to repaint it, I would stick with the original colours. But thats just me..

You got a steal....

Keeping in mind that we are in Oz, the machine was 15k for the machine chip conveyor rotary table (including motor that I havent identified as yet) and about 35 heavy duty tool holders such as 150 dia face cutters, boring heads etc and to lift it on the truck. The forklift guy charged him $1300 to bring a fork and lift it on the truck.

Then i paid $800 for the crane to unload it and place it in the shed.

Not overly cheap but has been very reliable (touch wood).

I stripped all the covers off and gave her a clean up to start with and have been learning ever since. This was the first cnc i have used so it was a bit of a learning curve but find it mostly therapeutic when im working her

Yes, yes I did!! I couldn't believe it wen he said it was mine...I was overwhelmed big time. Especially since I've done prototype work on these for 17years and know everything about them. I'm savy with mazatrol. I bet I can do everything faster setup wise than a eia guy programming at the labtop first. Although I do wanna use my option (3d tool comp) bit honestly I always program at the machine. I use my own macros and link them into the mazatrol with a sub unit.if you need help or have programming questions I can most likely help. And If I can't I work with guys who can. Glad to meet great people on this site! I tell people what I do and there like....What's that? Hahaha

Back