What's new
What's new

Where is the turret position sensor on a QT20hp with tplus controls?

vantim

Plastic
Hi Everyone,

I started getting an error "220 turret position sensor malf". It started doing it only when indexed to tool 12, now all of a sudden half the tools are doing it. I noticed when I index the turret the tool number isn't changing right away. It's as if the machine doesn't realize it's indexing. The turret seems to index correctly and the problem has been intermitten for over a week. Just today it decided to get worse. The manual says to check the turret position sensor and replace if neccessary. (LOL, Mazak and there wonderful descriptions)

I checked the parts manual and found one switch in the back of the turret, but I quickly realized that is the clamp sensor (a hall switch). that sits at the back end of the shaft.

Any thoughts and or advice would certainly be appreciated.

Tim

I've been having some turret problems on a '98 qt20 with a tplus. It started with error 221 (turret clamp sensor malfunction). Then on a tool change, it would start wildly spinning and throwing error 220. I adjusted the turret clamp sensor in a hair, it vibrated loose or something.

Now from messing with this thing for a while, from what I can figure, is that the turret position sensor is the encoder that is attached to the turret that tells it how far to index, and the hall effect sensor that you are seeing is the turret clamp sensor.

When researching this I came across a thread at CNCzone.com in their Mazak forum, I think it was on the very first page, and from what I recall the fix for error 220 is not cheap.

Good luck. I know it wasn't exactly what you asked for, but its all I know.

The turret position sensor is an encoder, 12 position in your case. Probably a Tamagawa or Sumtak brand. Available from Mazak...look in your mechanical parts diagram. You can also have your old encoder rebuilt for a spare.
I would definitely say your problem is the encoder. It may be loose, or out of adjustment, but probably is on the brink, and needs to be replaced.
You have to remove the large aluminum plate that covers the right side of the turret "box", in order to access the encoder. Have to remove covers and stuff to get to this point first. You will have to work from the rear of the machine for most of the swap-out procedure.
When the turret is on Tool 1, a small light on the encoder comes on. This is how you adjust the encoder. Sometimes, adjusting the encoder just slightly within the limits of the light staying on will enable the turret to index smoother.
Make sure you leave the turret on Tool 1 before working on it, so it will be easier to install the encoder, so the light is on.
Good luck,
Greg

Thanks everybody.

One of the Mazak repairmen are on the job right now and is adjusting the encoder. There was a screw missing on the encoder and it may have shifted a little bit. We'll see. Of course this morning it wouldn't err for him. LOL. I'll keep you all informed.

Well, the mechanic adjusted the encoder and it lasted about a half/hour before it started alarming again. (eyes rolling). The encoder appears to be the sumtak. (that is the one used on the 12d turret machines. Mazak has no stock on the sumtak or the tamagawa encoders. They did inform me that they are using a replacement for the sumtak encoders with a german company called Euchner. I found them on the web and called them. Unfortunately they only make that particular encoder for Mazak and have none in production at this time. I can get one from them but it'll take 3 to 4 weeks. Oh boy. I'm gonna call mazak back and see if they have them in stock. Here are the prices that mazak gave me for all the encoders (in case somebody else needs them)

Tamagawa: (R52ZZ000711) The part number has changed to R52ZZ000712. $805.60 USD

Sumtak: (R52UU000750) $744.70 USD

Euchner: (R51MEN90050) This replaces the Sumtak on the 12d 12 station turrets. $780.18 USD

I hope this helps anybody that gets a 220 or 221 turret position sensor alarm.

Tim

Thanks Tim for the latest info on the 3 brands of encoders for the 12d machines.
Mazak should have these encoders in stock at all times.
Especially for what they charge for a $400 or so encoder.
Greg

I agree. Well, here is the last installment of my saga. Mazak does indeed have the Euchner encoder in stock. I ordered one and installed it. I had to brush off my soldering skills. There is 11 wires on the encoder and 2 wires on a hall switch that goes into a plug on the back of the turret. I unsoldered all the wires from the plug and soldered all the new ones back in place.

I took the old encoder apart and looked and it was definitely blackened on the circuit board. There is a way to read the encoder output on the diagnosis monitor in the machine. Compare its output to what is listed in the electrical diagram in your manuals. I could see the error that was happening that showed me the encoder indeed went bad. Thank god it's over and the machine is back up and running. Got my 3000 hr. maintenence done while I was waiting for the encoder to get here.

Hey vantim,
Look up Oracle Encoder Service. They, or a similar outfit, may be able to rebuild your old encoder.
It's always nice having a spare!
Greg

i had this same alarm. pulled the cover off to observe the encoder. worked perfectly, light came on at position 1, alarm would not pop up. as soon as we put it back together, the alarm would start up again. did this many times, checked our plug connections, the whole nine yards. for some reason the alarm is just gone now and it never pops up. anyone know why this is?

i had this same alarm. pulled the cover off to observe the encoder. worked perfectly, light came on at position 1, alarm would not pop up. as soon as we put it back together, the alarm would start up again. did this many times, checked our plug connections, the whole nine yards. for some reason the alarm is just gone now and it never pops up. anyone know why this is?

anyone know why this is?
I have no idea, but, after my previous post at the top of the page, we started getting the turret position sensor malfunction. The weird thing is it always came immediately after a way lube pressure malfunction. Replaced all the way oil metering valves and the turret position sensor malfunction disappeared.

Once in a while the turret position sensor will pop up when a part starts to really sing or chatter. Fix the chatter problem, error goes away.

you can get these alarms if the turret is not lined up just right with curvik coupling
mazak hangs there turrets with what they call a "high index" couple.(it can slip on shaft)
watch when it is clamping up
does it make a radial sweeping motion as it clamps
that's missalignment

what's the question
Guess he's not coming back.

One and one only post.

I was getting real exited, "curvic" coupling. That's the sort of stuff we can chew into.

Sadly Let Down.

Phil.

(He did leave an email address. Should I write him a nasty letter saying how he broke our hearts)?

This place has been so bland latterly, I've been looking for a tapered pin argument.

The sooner you blokes can smash a Mazak, the better. That will give Wip & I some thing we can get our teeth into.

yeah
I'm getting to where it's been so long that there ain't many mazaks in service that I can remember the really good stuff.
been stuck workin on goofy Hyundai's lately. what an abomination.

temp was up to almost 60 today though so I'll be working on a 6 iron slice pretty soon.
that'll be a good thing

I have no idea, but, after my previous post at the top of the page, we started getting the turret position sensor malfunction. The weird thing is it always came immediately after a way lube pressure malfunction. Replaced all the way oil metering valves and the turret position sensor malfunction disappeared.

Once in a while the turret position sensor will pop up when a part starts to really sing or chatter. Fix the chatter problem, error goes away.
Can this really be from the way lube alarm? I had this alarm several months ago, and it stopped. Yesterday we had a low lube alarm and now it is doing it again. Of course, it is while we need to run a rush job. Leaving the machine on all night to see if the lube system gets things back to normal.

Any others experience this symptom?

Can this really be from the way lube alarm? I had this alarm several months ago, and it stopped. Yesterday we had a low lube alarm and now it is doing it again. Of course, it is while we need to run a rush job. Leaving the machine on all night to see if the lube system gets things back to normal.

Any others experience this symptom?

Back