What's new
What's new

AC Machine Works

clifton77208

Aluminum
Here's a few shots of the little shop I run when not filling the role of an engineering student. Most of the work I do is related to machine tool repair. I more or less act as the service department for the local machinery dealer. I will try to post pictures of interesting jobs as they come along.

1021121808.jpg

1021121809.jpg

1021121811.jpg

1021121813.jpg

I should mention that the voest needs a little work. The lathe I have been using is not fit for discussion on this forum and was conveniently moved for the shop pictures.

Looks like a nice setup! You're off to a good start, that's for sure. Don't worry about the "unmentionable". It got you by and that's what matters--and you're certainly taking a nice step up the ladder with that Voest. Show us more; especially work that you're doing...

Thanks! I should have started this thread last Friday when I had to clean pistol silencer parts out of the chip pan on a band saw. If nothing else comes up first, the next cool job will probably be a spindle install on a sharp mill.

The unmentionable has actually been a pretty good lathe for what it is (very surprisingly).

Cool things happened today. I need to begin assembly on a mill for the machinery dealer and I got repair job on a radial arm drill head.
1024121651.jpg

1024121658.jpg

1024121708.jpg

1024121742.jpg

Ox, that is on my list of things to replace. I apologize that I subjected you to it. I know it is foul.

Matt,
0704121621.jpg

spark.jpg

Last edited:
Appearantly the drill head had feed clutch difficulties. I deburred the feed shaft splines (which were significantly hammer dinged) and reassembled the clutch. It appears to work as intended. I just need to test it under power.

Hey...minivans are pretty awesome....I'm not afraid to say it. They do what they are supposed to do very well. Besides....it's not the vehicle that matters; it's the man behind the wheel ;)

I really do need a truck, but the ghetto van works well enough in the interim. I am still making payments on that vertical mill, so the cash reserves are running a little low.

Ox does make a valid point. Wonder if he can sell this as a bumper sticker:
JustWearIt.jpg

It was a good quote.

Here's what happens when somebody uses the positioning motor switch as a load-bearing member on an 800lb drill head. When this thing came to my shop, this switch was embedded in the pallet.

1026121944.jpg

I will test the feed under power out at the plant and also complete all minor repairs on site (ammeter face, positioning switch, replacement stuff lost at the other shop, etc).

How do you like your Enduma mill?
We had one donated to us at the air museum where I managed the restoration shop. We never said no to machinery donations, even tho I didn't think much of it at first. Turned out to be my go-to machine after I installed a DRO. Parts needed (draw bar etc.) were Bridgeport. Not bad for an Italian BP clone!
Tc

TC,
I like the Induma quite well, for not having ran it yet. I did test the variation in table height with respect to the spindle as the table as moved. This is still within a tollerable range (0.0003" in both x and y). I still need to get it wired up and am waiting on a 3 phase converter from the machinery dealer that has became significantly late. There's nothing wrong with many of the clone mills, in my opinion. In the case of the Induma, some engineers took a standard Bridgeport and made it better. The integral oiler in the table is a good example of this improvement.

Speaking of the Induma, I found some more pictures for you guys:

DSCN0672.jpg

Good way to piss off uptight neighbors.

DSCN0678.jpg

DSCN0673.jpg

DSCN0686.jpg

Now, here's some parts I made for stuff. Please disregard the stopgap lathe. Pretend that it does not exist. I also apologize for the camera focus. Might have been grease on the lense or something.

Voest pieces. One is a sight glass, the other is a replacement carriage brake screw.
0803122259.jpg

0614121924.jpg

Here's a belt tensioner screw assembly I made for a customer's saw. The design is a patch fix for a patch fix, but at least it's pretty.
0722121543.jpg

0721122111.jpg

Welding setup

0721122130.jpg

Flattening welds

Last edited:

Back