Thread: B&A Precision

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Thats cool and all. But, $2700? No effin' way!

Will be slightly different. But, accomplish the same thing. For a whole lot less than $2700.

I have soo many ideas for accessories for the rotab, its almost silly.

Kinda want to build a sub-plate of sorts for it, with built in risers. So, I can build kinda what you have, but with 4" double-locks, top and bottom, that will roll 360 degrees."

Price is kinda steep, but if you don't have time to build your own and want to get going fast, it's a quick solution.

As far as putting it up on risers w/ 2 double vises, you're going to lose a whole lot of Z clearance for toolchanges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    As far as putting it up on risers w/ 2 double vises, you're going to lose a whole lot of Z clearance for toolchanges.
    Yea, I am aware. I already move it out of the way for tool changes regularly as is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post

Kinda want to build a sub-plate of sorts for it, with built in risers. So, I can build kinda what you have, but with 4" double-locks, top and bottom, that will roll 360 degrees.

I need to git a pic of a sub-plate that I built for a customer's new Very First #2. (?)
    I stumbled accrost the layout that I used to make it the other day, but a pic of the finished would be WAY better!
    I just keep forgetting to take a camera on the road with me - the odd occassion that I doo git out...

It has a grid for vises and such all included.

It's much nicer than one that I built for myself.
    You know how the second one is always better eh?

You may want to git someone with a long X to cut the slot at least.
    I ran it complete up on The Money Pit with 48" X, and I think that I used every inch, but not 100% sure anymore.

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

4. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is my solution to fixtureing for the 4th. Pneumatic tail stock for 20 second fixture changes that are good for a few tenths repeatability. I have been using this basic idea for close to 20 years now with out any real changes. I started making my own double vises last September but still haven't made the jaws yet. The cad photo shows a 16 station vise, we will see if I ever get that far.

v4.jpgv5.jpg This is what my 2" vise looks like, just waiting to have the jaws cut to hold more jaws.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vise.jpg   4th-2.jpg   v2.jpg  
    Last edited by DavidScott; 03-02-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by davidscott View Post
    this is my solution to fixtureing for the 4th. Pneumatic tail stock for 20 second fixture changes that are good for a few tenths repeatability. I have been using this basic idea for close to 20 years now with out any real changes. I started making my own double vises last september but still haven't made the jaws yet. The cad photo shows a 16 station vise, we will see if i ever get that far.
    awesome!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    i need to git a pic of a sub-plate that i built for a customer's new very first #2. (?)
    i stumbled accrost the layout that i used to make it the other day, but a pic of the finished would be way better!

think snow eh!
    Ox
    doo eeet !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    I started making my own double vises last September but still haven't made the jaws yet. The cad photo shows a 16 station vise, we will see if I ever get that far.
    Still really interested in how that mini vise pans out. We do enough small parts that taking some time to make a few of those for 4-6" parts that need both ends machined might be worth it.

Or you know, for fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd like to know too! I just haven't had the need or time to finish it yet, funny how that works. I do need to change the angle where the jaw carrier pushes against the jaw. At 20 degrees they tend to lift the jaw so I will just go to 45. Simple modification of the existing parts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just went through this entire thread over the past week or so! Nice work Wheelie! It's awesome to see your story through the years.

I hate reading books and never do but this was a good read! And having pics helps me too!

Definitely a lot to learn from all of this. It's no cake walk going out on your own! Lots of pros and cons to that. Gives great perspective into this trade, not just working in it. It's easy to say I want to go out on my own and sounds dreamy but its not for everyone that's for sure. Not just great work ethic you have but dedication to get there too! Lots of sacrifices and hours!

Thanks for sharing!

11. Likes extropic, D KIRBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

doo eeet !!!

Well - here is the print that I started with:

Not 100% sure what each of the notes means anymore. Would have started with a 1x12 CRS x 50" long - "clean up top and bottom"

The top two holes - along both sides of the slot are for the clamps for the tailstock.
    I then added more below - but I don't know if they are that often or not. They may be.
    This allows up to three 6" vises to be tossed in there I think. Maybe 4 if they are tight.
    I made hold down clamps for the vises too. One clamp in the middle will clamp each vise beside it.
    I made clamps for one or two vise layouts. Of course you would use singles on the outsides.

You may want to add (and maybe I did?) a second slot for the vises. Otherwise, I am sure that my clamps are very tight to the placement of the holes and the vises. (I'm not one for slop in my fixtures)

I beleieve that he was talking about fetchin' a box of button head bolts to plug the unused holes. Or maybe set screws for those under things. Not sure what he ended up dooing.

edit:
    "Control +" on the keyboard will blow up the whole page to see better.
    "Control -" to go back down then ...

This is likely for a 40" machine.
    The face of the rotary is prox spindle line at max travel.
    99% sure that I just used a tapped hole with a 1/2" SHCS ran in from the bottom to align with machine table slot.
    I just grind the head down a wee bit to fit the slot on the surface grinder/whirly-gig.

Would need to edit the holes in the URH corner for any changes in indexer size.

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 03-02-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added even more

13. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

doo eeet !!!

DO IT NOW!!! ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER - YouTube

Now dont blame me.
    You were practically begging for someone to post that clip from a certain Arnold movie.

It had to be done.

15. Likes wheelieking71, Philabuster, hfo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    This is my solution to fixtureing for the 4th. Pneumatic tail stock for 20 second fixture changes that are good for a few tenths repeatability. I have been using this basic idea for close to 20 years now with out any real changes. I started making my own double vises last September but still haven't made the jaws yet. The cad photo shows a 16 station vise, we will see if I ever get that far.

v4.jpgv5.jpg This is what my 2" vise looks like, just waiting to have the jaws cut to hold more jaws.
    Picture #4 what is the green hose on the tail stock doing for you, is it used to pneumatically lock this fixture into the tail stock ? I think I know just not sure. This is a great set up nice work.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW:

With the bolt spacing in X at 2.5", then a 6" vise could be loaded every 7.5".
    So - yes, 4 easily, and ... really you could line up 5 on there if you used all 40" of travel.
    (With the indexer still mounted - as long as your spindle clears it while reaching the closest vise.)

Also - just looked at a vise out here, and sure enough - the slot shown will line up fine with a "CNC" style Kurt vise. No need for a second slot.

I also did NOT mount the C/L of the slot to the C/L of the table. Pretty sure that I put the align pins (bolt heads) .... maybe in the center of the plate? I intentionally put the indexer towards the rear of the machine a bit. I don't recall the biggest reason - if it was for better access to rest of the plate for other work, or simply to leave clearance for the motor housing on the indexer to the front of the enclosure. ???

Also note that this plate will NOT be centered on the table in X either. I don't have as much going out the left side of the table (if any) as I doo the right side. My Money Pit only has 48" travel, so this is the best that I could doo with that. If you had the ability, it wouldn't hurt to have a 60" plate and allow the tailstock to stick past the X travel on the other side - should you ever want to run that long of a part in it. ???

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dupa3872 View Post
    Picture #4 what is the green hose on the tail stock doing for you, is it used to pneumatically lock this fixture into the tail stock ? I think I know just not sure. This is a great set up nice work.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron
    It is for compressed air. With 60 psi I get 375 lbs of pressure on the live center, the max for this rotary. The brass deal is a slide valve. This is the 3rd mill this tail stock has been used on, 2nd rotary, and the 4th version of how I apply pressure to the live center.

Here are a few photos showing the internals.

ts1.jpgts2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welp, here we go again...........

recently I have found myself in a position where I simply can not catch up.
    Been working 12-14hrs every day. No more all-nighters. Trying real hard not to work weekends (wifey time, for her, and my, own good).
    But, I did bring in another guy. He started out part time. But, is slowly transitioning to full-time. His name is Brad.
    Brad is starting from scratch. He has zero experience. No mechanical experience in general actually. But, he is level headed, and responsible.
    He is showing lots of enthusiasm, and has a fantastic attitude! He should work out great.
    I stagger Brad's, and Tommy's shifts, in an effort to basically get 12 solid spindle-hrs on all three machines. I refuse to run a 2nd-shift (I have my reasons).
    I am basically doing zero operating myself. If I walk by a machine and its sitting because the guys are busy, I will change out parts.
    Otherwise, I am driving the desk, and doing 80% of the set-up work. I am starting to work Tommy back in to some set-up duty.

The shop is running smooth as glass actually. I am just booked over capacity.

So, I am dooing the last thing I want to doo!
    Bought another mill, and I am moving again. This time I am doubling the square footage! And, doing a lease-purchase, rather than simply renting.
    I hate throwing all that money out the window. I need to be building some kind of equity. This subject has secretly been eating me alive.
    The first shop was 1350ft. The current shop is 1660ft. The new shop will be 3200ft.
    It has a much better shop/office ratio. It is a much nicer part of town. A much easier commute for me (same distance, but all freeway, instead of all surface streets).
    One of the bigger perks: the shop is air-conditioned! That is a huge deal here in the valley.
    It has 400amps, with lots of electric on the walls already, and lots of copper air-lines on the walls already.
    And, I am very familiar with this shop, and the guy who owns it. It belongs to my last employer.
    It is the same shop I was talking about buying in the beginning of this thread. I actually ran a lot of the electrical that is still there, and all of the air-lines.
    I will have to move some stuff around. But, there is a lot of expensive supplies hanging on the walls. That helps a lot.
    He did finally shut the place down. All the equipment went at auction. And, he is now just using the condo for storage.
    He offered it up with a very fair deal. I am gonna jump all over it!

As for the third mill: I shopped, and I shopped. I considered all my options. And, as much as I would like to buy a "real" machine......
    For many practical reasons, I was led back to another HAAS. Another VF2ss to be exact. I really wanted to step up to a 40x20 machine (VF3).
    But, I had a self imposed budget cap. And, I just couldn't find a VF3ss, worth buying, in my budget.
    The HAAS works for me because 90% of what I do, is relatively small aluminum parts. The HAAS's work just fine cutting aluminum (contrary to popular hype).
    And, if I am going to work Tommy back to his former glory, I really need the control consistency in the shop. For both his, and my best interest.
    He is gung-ho! We sat down a little while back and had a good long talk about life. I learned some stuff. He learned some stuff. And, I think I can help him figure this all out.
    So, there is another VF2ss on the way here from IL. I got a great deal on a very clean, low-hr machine, with all the options I need.
    It is an older machine, 2003 to be exact, But, clean as a whistle. The seller provided detailed pics, and vids.
    They provided all the evidence I needed to make a confident decision. Here she is:

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keepin life exciting I see...............................

21. Likes wheelieking71, Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Being in A/C is long over due for you! We became considerably more productive when we Air Conditioned our entire shop. 100+ @ 90% R.H. is not worth a crap. I am sure you don't have the humidity but probably have 5-15 degrees more temp!

Keep them spindles running!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    Keepin life exciting I see...............................
    Is that a nice way of saying you noticed I am scared shittless?

24. Likes david n, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vettedude View Post
    Being in A/C is long over due for you! We became considerably more productive when we Air Conditioned our entire shop. 100+ @ 90% R.H. is not worth a crap. I am sure you don't have the humidity but probably have 5-15 degrees more temp!

Keep them spindles running!
    Yea, The highest I have seen it in this shop is 124 degrees. It was 117 outside that day. Misery! Hard to even breath, let alone work.
    The other shop will maintain 80-82 when its 110-115 outside.
    One of the nice things about having previously worked in the condo we are moving to for 3 years, is knowing exactly what I can expect.
    Pretty excited about the A/C. Pretty excited about the easier commute. But, mostly excited to be building some kind of equity.

26. Likes vettedude, extropic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is that a nice way of saying you noticed I am scared shittless?
    Eh.....there is a fine line between excitement and fear...............good to have a little of both in most life scenarios.

So when is the move? I though you still had some time on your current lease? Or is it up(soon)?