Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I hear you on the truck! It is just nuts what a new truck is worth these days. Even a stripped down model.
    My rig has over 300k on the ticker, but a new truck is not even anywhere near my radar screen.
    Especially since my daily commute is soon to be about 200ft!

I can understand seeing a lot of new vehicles in the rust-belt. There is just a point where you are fighting a loosing battle.
    But, out here, with routine maint. a guy can make a decent vehicle last a very, very long time. Yet, there are new, top of the line trucks everywhere!
    What I find hilarious is when you see somebody living in an $80k house, driving an $80k truck. That is funny shit in my mind.
    There are several trailer parks around this area. I just shake my head when I see someone driving out of there in a Cadillac SUV or whatever. Not saying trailers can't be nice or anything like that, just seems like a car payment the same as your mortgage/rent/land contract is crazy. Since I am off topic now I also don't get the single and/or couples with one child that feel like each of them need a giant size SUV or van. I realize gas prices are down, but when they go back up I'm glad I got me a gas sipper instead of a guzzler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't shopped for a mortgage since about 2006. My first was in 1974. Five or six total, including a line of credit. Most were with the old GMAC and the LOC was with BofA. All were chicken simple.

I get more "junk mail" soliciting mortgage/refi than any other subject. From the volume of solicitations, I would expect a smoother process than you guys have described. From the volume of solicitations, I infer that there must be a legitimate (money making) business reason to, at least, process applications.

I wonder why I'm getting a small wheelbarrow full of solicitations (monthly) if they're such a PITA to accomplish? Are they just sadists looking for fresh victims to torment?

I recently found out that HARP (Home Affordable Refinance Program) can apply to second homes and rental properties. I have one of each and I'm thinking about pursuing a HARP refi on the second home.

Since a refi isn't a "necessity" in my case (only interested in a fixed rate and lower monthly payments, no BIG deal) Murphy may let me slide through smoothly. After reading your experiences, I'm forewarned.

Wheelie,
    I have nothing but encouragement and confidence that you'll soon prevail.
    A few months from now, the current anxiety will be a faint memory (over taken by the NEW, yet unanticipated anxiety ).

Hang in there. I love it when a plan comes together (The A Team???).

3. Likes wheelieking71, Philabuster, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    And for Christ's sake, please don't put RTV Silly-cone on the paper gasket. Put the thing on dry or leave it off all together.

RTV can work well for specific applications like the sharp corners on old intake gaskets and for sealing up stamped metal covers. However, I could write volumes on how much I hate that shit. I find little pieces of RTV in oil screens and clogging up basically any kind of passage.

I could probably fill a bucket with scrapers and screwdrivers I have destroyed trying to peel off covers that were glued on by over zealous maintenance guys with their extra large, double barrel, caulking gun full of silly-cone. I've actually seen cast covers broken trying to peel them off.

In most applications I prefer a gasket. If I can't get a gasket, I will use Permatex #2. It's non-hardening seals pretty well. If clearance is an issue, such as a bearing cap, I use Hylomar.
    I worked on a Yamaha 1100 out of a Legend car that some moron used a few tubes of orange silicone on. The oil screen on the pump was completely covered with the shit, the screen sucked into he pump and got between the gears, broke the pump housing, seized a rod to the crank journal, broke the rod witch then blew 3 x 7" hole in the crankcase. RTV is OK as long as the user is not stupid.

5. Likes wheelieking71, Ox, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by extropic View Post
    Wheelie,
    I have nothing but encouragement and confidence that you'll soon prevail.
    A few months from now, the current anxiety will be a faint memory (over taken by the NEW, yet unanticipated anxiety ).
    Thank you.
    And, I am sure you are absolutely spot on.

7. Likes Philabuster, extropic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    You guys that have bank issues - doo y'all move around bank to bank?

Other than the long ton of paperwerk required via the 911 Securities stuff these days, I don't have any issues of such.
    I've been dealing with the same bank since they opened a branch in our town >35 yrs ago. For the most part - dealt with the same guy too. They're not always the cheapest, but I guess you need to pick 2 of 3 here as well eh?

Now I understand that I am [just outside of] Rural Small Town America, and with one stop-light - folks "know" each other - not just recognize names and faces. So that Shirley plays a role as well I am sure, but ....

???

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I am from where you are from Ox. We had two flashing yellow lights. Not even one real stoplight.
    It was definitely different back home. Not just because it was almost 20 years ago for me.
    But, because, like you said: everybody knew everybody.
    Our town had one bank, one post office, one school, one fire-station, one hardware-store (seven churches, and thirteen bars! LOL).
    But, if you needed to borrow money, chances were, you already knew the banker.
    I went to school with his daughter, and plowed his driveway in the winter. In a truck that came with a business that he lent me the money to buy.

Now, out here, its seems just about the time Allison and I get to know somebody at the bank, they get transferred.
    I cant even find an auto-parts store that can keep the same faces at the counter.

Just once I wish NAPA would keep somebody long enough to realize I probably know more about their job than they do.
    So, I could quit getting treated like an idiot when I have to go in there.

Getting off-topic, but that's fine: helping a buddy do a rear disk brake conversion on his rock-buggy a while ago.
    Got it all mocked up with used parts. Went in to NAPA and asked for front brake pads for a 1980 chevy K20. One hundred questions later:
    We don't have any. Change my year to 1985. Counter boy says: "but you said it was a 1980". I said: "yea, I have an 85' as well".
    One hundred questions later: "yea, I have those". I say: "okay, that works". He asks me if I want to order pads for the 80'.
    I screwed up here and said: "these are for the 80'". He almost refused to sell them to me!!!!!

My point is: Back home, this NAPA visit would have taken 10 minutes instead of 30. And 8 of that would have been BS'ing with Clark. I am sure he still works there.

9. Likes Philabuster, Ox, DrHook, extropic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
    Wheelie, I was hoping that the lack of updates was because you were moving....
    We are moved! Everything we own (that is not packed in our 30ft toy-hauler trailer in a storage lot) is either in the new shop, or in the "POD" sitting next to the new shop.
    The homeowner has been wonderful. She gave me the keys to the shop a week and a half ago! So, yea, we are moved. Just not moved in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    I worked on a Yamaha 1100 out of a Legend car that some moron used a few tubes of orange silicone on. The oil screen on the pump was completely covered with the shit, the screen sucked into he pump and got between the gears, broke the pump housing, seized a rod to the crank journal, broke the rod witch then blew 3 x 7" hole in the crankcase. RTV is OK as long as the user is not stupid.

I werked in a tranny shop in a past lifetime, and just couldn't believe the amount of dope that a dope can smear in a dipstick tube, among other places....

I use it sparingly.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

12. Likes wheelieking71, JohnEvans liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is not the place to vent but seeing people talking about people spending more on the car than the house they live in or driving a Caddy out of the trailer park brought up something that has been stuck up my ass for a long time, I can't forget it. I own a small shop and have for many years. We have done OK but struggle at times. I have had a tough go of it since buying out a partner a few years ago. I'm digging out of a hole I allowed him to dig for us. I paid him for the company I built all while telling myself "He will get it" " He will pick it up and start doing what I do" In the end it cost me a big chunk of change to get out of it, That's all on me, nice guys finish last.

Back to the real story. I left work after a normal 10 hour day and had to stop off at the grocery store to pick up some things to grill up for dinner. The store was packed and I got stuck in line behind three people with four little ones and three full carts. It tallied up to just under 400 bucks. Each one pulled out the state debit card and paid for the bill, that was an eye opener. I only had a few things and left the store just five minuets after them. The new Lexus SUV they were driving was just a few cars away from my beat up KIA with 160K on it, another eye opener. I was right behind them as they left the parking lot. As and we drove down the street to myself I bet my next pay check that they would be turning into the public housing complex just a few blocks up the road, I was a winner.

Maybe I'm a bad guy for letting this bother me and writing about it. I just wonder what I am doing wrong sometimes, I'm 55 years old and still bust my ass seven days a week.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dupa3872 View Post

Maybe I'm a bad guy for letting this bother me and writing about it. I just wonder what I am doing wrong sometimes, I'm 55 years old and still bust my ass seven days a week.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron
    Dignity and Pride. Something they will never pay for with that EBT-card! They will never have it. It can not be bought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Close friend has a light/heavy diesel repair shop. Shady wholesale car auction buyer guy brings in this newer Dodge. It's like an '05 commonrail truck. Says it smokes a lot and down on power. Turns out the engine in this truck is a 53 block 24 valve from a 98 with the fuel system and front timing cover from the commonrail.

If you know the little Cummins motors then you know those parts don't exactly fit together. Somebody went through a lot of work and a shitload of RTV to put that engine in there. It was one of those times where my buddy called me up and said something like- "You just gotta come over and see this, I can't explain it in words". Whoever did it was a master with the RTV. musta been an inch thick in some spots.

16. Likes wheelieking71, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Close friend has a light/heavy diesel repair shop. Shady wholesale car auction buyer guy brings in this newer Dodge. It's like an '05 commonrail truck. Says it smokes a lot and down on power. Turns out the engine in this truck is a 53 block 24 valve from a 98 with the fuel system and front timing cover from the commonrail.

If you know the little Cummins motors then you know those parts don't exactly fit together. Somebody went through a lot of work and a shitload of RTV to put that engine in there. It was one of those times where my buddy called me up and said something like- "You just gotta come over and see this, I can't explain it in words". Whoever did it was a master with the RTV. musta been an inch thick in some spots.
    I happen to be semi familiar with the exact opposite of that. I am researching what all it takes to swap a P-pump to a common-rail.
    Yes, the front pan-rail is not even in the same zip-code!
    How many bolts were holding the timing housing to the block? Research says only like 3 of 9 actually line up! LOL
    When time = money, this is the way to go: Keating Machine, Inc. - Cummins P-Pump Or Sigma Billet Gear Housing, 23 To Current 5.9L & 6.7L Common Rail

And, if my ass-hole common-rail injection system doesn't quit acting up, Billy-boy is gonna drop $1500 on one of them thar pretty timing housings!
    Which is chump change compared to the overly fragile electronic injectors that cost me $4000 already.

18. Likes Ox, Philabuster, metalmaster10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I happen to be semi familiar with the exact opposite of that. I am researching what all it takes to swap a P-pump to a common-rail.
    Yes, the front pan-rail is not even in the same zip-code!
    How many bolts were holding the timing housing to the block? Research says only like 3 of 9 actually line up! LOL
    When time = money, this is the way to go: Keating Machine, Inc. - Cummins P-Pump Or Sigma Billet Gear Housing, 23 To Current 5.9L & 6.7L Common Rail

And, if my ass-hole common-rail injection system doesn't quit acting up, Billy-boy is gonna drop $1500
    My Chev runs fine.......

20. Likes wheelieking71, jh35, metalmaster10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Chev runs fine.......
    I have a supposedly cursed 6.0 Power Stroke. 220,000 on the clock and runs like a top. I think I put $75 worth of glow plugs in it...

22. Likes wheelieking71, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a supposedly cursed 6.0 Power Stroke. 220,000 on the clock and runs like a top. I think I put $75 worth of glow plugs in it...
    Amazing what can happen when you treat the equipment well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's amazing the milage you can rack up, my truck is at 348,000. My Acura integra GSR will turn 200,000 this week.

25. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And, if my ass-hole common-rail injection system doesn't quit acting up, Billy-boy is gonna drop $1500 on one of them thar pretty timing housings!
    Which is chump change compared to the overly fragile electronic injectors that cost me $4000 already.
    My Chev runs fine.......
    I should back-pedal a little and explain: My truck runs good. Real damn good for a truck with over 300,000miles.
    But, sometimes it has a funny stumble at idle. And, usually when it has that stumble, part throttle driveability is not glass-smooth either.
    When it runs good, it runs flawlessly. When it is acting up, most people wouldn't even notice.
    My money says: it is a wiring issue. Probably a simple weather-pack connector has lost its connection tension, and it is throwing a voltage off by a small percentage.
    Just enough to make the engine run "different". Now, the problems that compound this minor issue:
    I hate chasing electrical gremlins! I love mechanically injected diesel engines. I really like tinkering with, and modifying, my truck.
    The not perfectly logical solution I mentioned is inevitable.

You obviously don't tow heavy, or drive aggresively.
    These guys: BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6. and 6.4 have built en empire making that POS engine live.
    I prototyped a few parts for them. And a friend of mine is now their lead design guy / Machinist.
    The money that they make off that 6.0 engine would boggle your mind.

But, it is no different than the transmission in my Dodge. They have a terrible reputation.
    Yet, here is mine, with 300k on the ticker, and the tranny performs flawlessly. Even towing 10k up big grades.
    I had another friend that owns a tranny shop, rebuild and install the T-case in my truck when I swapped from electric to manual shift.
    He said he thought the tranny in my truck is original. There is a bunch of factory stuff that always gets broken/removed when this tranny is swapped.
    And, it is all intact under my truck. There is a metal tab on one of the top extension housing bolts, who's only job is hold a plastic wire loom.
    He said the tab is not bent, and the factory plastic loom holder thingy is not broken.
    I guess it is impossible to get the tranny out without bending said tab, and the plastic loom thingy always gets broken.
    That, and it is dirty enough that it looks like it has been there from day one. I will never know?
    But, I generally have had zero Dodge transmission issues.

It is all in the owner. Some are good at maintenance, and making things live. Some are, well, not.

27. Likes Philabuster, DrHook, extropic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You obviously don't tow heavy, or drive aggresively.
    These guys: BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6. and 6.4 have built en empire making that POS engine live.
    I prototyped a few parts for them. And a friend of mine is now their lead design guy / Machinist.
    The money that they make off that 6.0 engine would boggle your mind.
    No. I tow frequently. I don't abuse it though.

The biggest thing is I don't want to pop in a chip and turn it up to 800 horse power.

I used to work in a diesel shop. I worked on a lot of 6.0 motors. I really think they are pretty good, good enough that I bought one and several other guys there also owned them. The catch is that we would not work on any trucks that were not company owned. All the time these tuner guys would come in with issues and we would turn them away.

Those tuners and chips are the worst thing to happen to diesel pickups. There was no way to unwind the liability associated with working on them. If some guy brings in his truck with a tuner and we change the oil or put in a gasket and the next week it blows up, is that our fault or did he turn the tuner up to 1000 horses and take it drag racing?

I worked as a design engineer for an automotive OEM when I first got out of college. It totally killed the notion of modifying any car or truck from the OEM specs. We used to have month long design reviews on how to get the transmission to pass a longevity test when we turned the motor up 10 horse power. These diesel guys are turning their motors up 3 or 4 times the original spec.

29. Likes wheelieking71, extropic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No. I tow frequently. I don't abuse it though.

The biggest thing is I don't want to pop in a chip and turn it up to 800 horse power.

I used to work in a diesel shop. I worked on a lot of 6.0 motors. I really think they are pretty good, good enough that I bought one and several other guys there also owned them. The catch is that we would not work on any trucks that were not company owned. All the time these tuner guys would come in with issues and we would turn them away.

Those tuners and chips are the worst thing to happen to diesel pickups. There was no way to unwind the liability associated with working on them. If some guy brings in his truck with a tuner and we change the oil or put in a gasket and the next week it blows up, is that our fault or did he turn the tuner up to 1000 horses and take it drag racing?

I worked as a design engineer for an automotive OEM when I first got out of college. It totally killed the notion of modifying any car or truck from the OEM specs. We used to have month long design reviews on how to get the transmission to pass a longevity test when we turned the motor up 10 horse power. These diesel guys are turning their motors up 3 or 4 times the original spec.
    Liked for content. But, you are probably preachin' to the choir in here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a commonrail block with a P-pump on it in my shop. Belongs to a friend. It was a day of work with a small radial drill. Laid out the dowel pin holes and a couple bolt holes and modified the commonrail block for the P-pump front cover. The oil pans are different. He sectioned a p-pump pan with a commonrail pan to make it work. swapped older style helical gears onto crank and cam. We was going to run VP44 pistons and injectors. Got time to spend real money on the project and it stopped.

Big waste of time IMO.

The commonrail blocks aren't super great. An alarming # of them have oil pressure issues due to too much oil going to piston cooling and oversize suction tubing. They need more piston cooling since the pistons and rings are lighter. Have seen lots of spun rod bearings in trucks that tow, especially the 6.7's. A lot of them only make like 10 PSI oil pressure at lower RPM hot. Combine that with 600 lb/ft and you have a problem. The commonrails also use much smaller rod bearings than 2002 and older engines.

I've been working on an 8.3 oil pump that will fit a commonrail 5.9 or 6.7. The 8.3 pumps are about 20% more volume. I suspect as more commonrails die much earlier than prior engines shops will start putting oil pressure gauges on the engines to check and see what I'm talking about. Might be a demand for such a pump. Dunno.

I make some parts for 6.0's/6.4's too. Buy one they're great engines (For guys making parts to keep them running!)

32. Likes wheelieking71, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had the stock trans replaced at 168k in my truck. My trans was built in 2001, which makes it possible a "diode clutch" sprag, instead of a real sprag over-run bearing.

It took 9 round trips to get moved to Oregon, and I was leaving trans fluid on the front of the trailer tongue, which meant it was time to change the trans. Ford has gone through umpteen front pump seal designs.

I did research years ago and decided on an ATS trans because they had a big beefy torque converter and a killer warranty.

I bought the Stage 1 towing trans, which is basically upgraded wear parts (planetaries and bearings), but stock hard parts (shafts, etc). I also went with the GTP 38R turbo and a flip-chip from dp-tuner. I have a stock, towing (+60HP), +80HP, and +100HP tune. They each drive differently and have their own uses. Most of the time I drive around in the 80HP tune, but use stock when trying to be quiet, want a leisurely experience, or I'm driving on a bumpy or slippery road.

The whole seems to add up to more than the sum of the parts, as I can pull 21k GCW up a 6% grade at 60MPH at 1300deg, or 55MPH at 1200deg. That's the same aero drag and weight as my parent's bus, but my motor makes way less power than that old Detroit (on paper).

I'm on stock HPOP, injectors, and glow plugs. I found out that the tune I was running for years didn't actually turn on the glow plugs, wasn't a problem till I moved up here. I'd say that for 5 years I was starting/running without glow plugs. After figuring out that Diablosport uses federal computers as the basis for their tunes, I dropped them and got a chip from dp-tuner that's based on the CA computer, which has a glow plug controller that can read faults on all 8 glow plugs. Federal only reports Bank A/Bank B, that code doesn't exist in a CA computer.