Close
Login to Your Account

Page 149 of 178 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 3542

Thread: B&A Precision

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I built my shop in 1987 I tried to save a few dollars and bought a C-H breaker panel. About 15 years ago my tig welder wasn't working right and it was because of a burned up breaker. I replaced it with a Square-D panel and haven't had a problem since. Just make sure you get the real Square-D panel, not the Homeline panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    When I built my shop in 1987 I tried to save a few dollars and bought a C-H breaker panel. About 15 years ago my tig welder wasn't working right and it was because of a burned up breaker. I replaced it with a Square-D panel and haven't had a problem since. Just make sure you get the real Square-D panel, not the Homeline panel.
    So far they both worked for 15 years

3. Likes moonlight machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the bolt in breakers QOB. They are very common in industry so you can find surplus on eBay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    I like the bolt in breakers QOB. They are very common in industry so you can find surplus on eBay.

IMO - how long they last, what they cost, and how available they are - is all secondary values to "how they fail"

Federal Pacific's are known to fail to trip when applicable, causing more fires than Carter had those little liver pills!
    My GE's (back when I had "breaker" type entrance) would carry less and less amps and refuse to reset as they get bad.

I don't know about any other breakers, but I know which characteristic I value most in a breaker!

Anything 3ph in my shop all runs on fuses.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

6. Likes wheelieking71, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perhaps a few of you remember this problem with Federal Pacific

Are Federal Pacific Circuit Breaker Panels Safe? | Angies List

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Harrington View Post
    Oy. C-H *style* breakers are available from many different manufacturers. I have never seen a Square-D compatible breaker from a 3rd party, I always had to pay through the nose for genuine Square-D. When it came time to wire my shop, I bought a C-H panel and breakers because they were more easily available, multi-sourced, and less expensive. Home Depot sells Siemens brand C-H compatible equipment. When I redo the main service on the house, I'm putting in a 400A Siemens panel with C-H style breakers.

I've never had a single problem with them, they are "universal", and cheap. Murray, Siemens, Cutler-Hammer, etc are all the same. Square-D is Square-D and I didn't find their breakers to be any nicer, my last house had them and it was a PITA to find them and because they are narrower, it made the box more cluttered with connections.

gump That's all I have to say about that. /gump
    Whatever blows your dress up. I never much liked how loose CH breakers are in the panel, all loose and floppy, held in by the cover. Why is it so hard to find Square D? Lowes stocks them as does 3 other places around here. When I lived in Florida and New Jersey I had no trouble getting them. Face it, you are wrong, but that's OK. no harm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am sure FP went out of business! I would change to a more current platform.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not one damn update about the new shop

But, the house is pretty much gutted. This past weekend I had the pleasure of removing a very nice fire-place because momma didn't like it:

20170108_134325.jpg

Talk about a bitch of a job that was waaaaay more involved than I could have ever imagined!
    Turns out the chimney was built around the fire-place insert. The insert did not physically fit out the hole, in one piece.
    And the concrete flue was build on top of the insert. Which was set up on stacked cinder-blocks to get the height for the hearth that used to be there.
    Getting it all out without damaging the actual chimney, or getting hurt myself, proved to be one of my greater accomplishments.

The saying is true: if momma is not happy, nobody is happy!

Between tearing out 1750ft of tile, gutting the kitchen, and two bathrooms, removing the fire-place, and tons of general clean-up, I have lost 20lbs in the last 3 weeks.

B&A is slow as hell right now. 2016 rolled in with more work than I thought I could handle. 2017 is the polar opposite.
    I am hoping that will pass soon. As long as I pick back up before April, I will be fine.
    And, being slow right now has actually been a blessing. And, I have been working harder than I ever work at "work", LOL.

11. Likes Ox, Garwood, JP Machining, DrHook, extropic and 2 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    And, I have been working harder than I ever work at "work", LOL.

I say this all too often. Having a house, wife, 2 kids under 17 months there's always something to do...

I now come to work to rest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having a Wife and a Mother-in-law, there's always something to be doing. I told a buddy: "I don't know how polygamists do it, keeping up multiple housholds". I'm keeping up my house and my MIL's, and that's keeping me busy as heck with the snow and cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I actually took Friday - Monday off to work on the house.
    Allison asked me if I was coming to work this morning to take a break. I chuckled out a "yep".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never take on that much at once, one room at a time for me max.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    I never take on that much at once, one room at a time for me max.
    Well, the new floor covers:
    Entry way
    Formal living room (waste of space but it looks fancy)
    Hall way
    Hall bath
    Bedroom
    2 closets
    Laundry
    Kitchen
    Family
    Huge dining / Arizona room

2200 sq/ft of floor. All I did was tear-out, and plumbing.
    The tile install, as well as new cabinets, base-boards/trim, some electrical, ALL windows, two exterior and two interior doors, and ceiling fans, is all hired out.

Allison will handle the paint. She is actually really good at it!

Ohh, and a big chunk of the yard (3000ft) is getting sod installed right now, as well as a small concrete walk behind the house for Allison's clients.

After, all that, we start on block-walls/iron-fences.
    Again, there will be several hundred lineal ft of tear-out/demo. What is existing is just plain moronic.
    Of course, yours truly will get to handle the demo (without tearing up the new grass!).

All that, and I have less than 60 days to have the shop ready.
    Riggers are already scheduled. And, I have been taking "stuff" home with me daily.

There is really only one thing I am dreading (other than the deadline). That is getting the surface plate out of the office.
    Who's freakin' idea was it to put that damn thing in the office anyways?! LOL
    That was such a bitch. Not looking forward to that wrestling match again. Especially not right after wrestling that damn fireplace!

17. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Of course, yours truly will get to handle the demo (without tearing up the new grass!).
    Well hurry up and you can git it done while there is frost in the ground....

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohh, how could I forget?!

The last payment on the first machine has been made! After the check clears, I will go write them one last check of $101.00
    $1 to end the lease, and their $100 doc fee, for the pay-off cert. And, that bitch is mine. Proud to say, not one late payment.

The second one is only three more months out.......

20. Likes Edster, Ox, JP Machining, dstryr, TDegenhart and 12 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is really only one thing I am dreading (other than the deadline). That is getting the surface plate out of the office.
    Who's freakin' idea was it to put that damn thing in the office anyways?! LOL
    That was such a bitch. Not looking forward to that wrestling match again. Especially not right after wrestling that damn fireplace!
    Rasslin' that fireplace got you toned and in shape for that plate....................

And how 'bout tearin' down the block walls 'n fence before the sod goes down?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why anyone in their right mind would lay sod in January.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JP Machining View Post
    Why anyone in their right mind would lay sod in January.....
    There's 4-6 inches of snow on the ground, and GRANDE puddles because it's been raining today, melting the snow. It's a slushee without the food coloring and sugar, outside.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, the new floor covers:

All that, and I have less than 60 days to have the shop ready.
    Riggers are already scheduled. And, I have been taking "stuff" home with me daily.
    You got your power figured out already? If so your utility company is amazing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Harrington View Post
    There's 4-6 inches of snow on the ground, and GRANDE puddles because it's been raining today, melting the snow. It's a slushee without the food coloring and sugar, outside.
    We just got another 8" of wet heavy stuff today, and last week we had like 3 days in a row that it never got above zero. Lawncare is not even on the backburner here.