Login to Your Account

Page 151 of 196 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 3919

Thread: B&A Precision

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the nicest quotes ever.
    One of the best comments ever, where YOU give full credit to him. Well Done.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    ..."Listen you fat crybaby! Get off your ass and get your own fucking beer! You think that leg sucks? Fuck you man! Sit in this chair for 30 fucking years!...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Given the timeline there, at what point did you learn what a mill and lathe were?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Given the timeline there, at what point did you learn what a mill and lathe were?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I knew that shit as a kid. Grandpa owned a "speed shop". Industrial arts (shop) were the only classes I cared about in school.

1990-2000.5 / 2008-B&A = CNC jockey

2000.5-02 / 03.5-05 = Tile

05-08 = heavy equip tech (glorified mechanic, some manual machining)

Somewhere in 1990-2001.5 I was a plumber for a good while. But, the dates are fuzzy.

The whole thing is give or take 6 months. I ain't keeping track of a whole lot before 2013.
    My resume' is a mess. I doubt I will need it any time soon. But, you never know?

I graduated in 89', at what point I had already had many full-time jobs.
    Including spinning wrenches next to my dad since 14. Granddad's speed shop, etc.
    I Hated school. How I graduated on time is no small miracle.
    I never, ever, did homework all through 9-12 grades. Not one time. I was too busy going to work.

4. Likes Philabuster, Garwood, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently you didn't have my same Alg/Geometry teacher. 2 full periods of study hall to keep up with just that one class. ... until one day during our sophomore yr he put up on the board the grading schedule. We seldom "switched papers" on homework, and it was considered 10% of the grade.

Me and 2 chums quit dooing homewerk that day. One of the others played catch-up for ? reason at the end of the year (sem?) tho. Crickie, I got B- w/o dooing the homework! I could devote those study halls to other classes and those went up a full letter grade each!

Lessen - be carefull puting up the ratios in a math class.... Some of us can actually figger story problems. LOL!

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

6. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was in school, HW counted for something like 38% of your grade. I had a very crappy GPA throughout school, bolstered by the subjects I really enjoyed (shop, ceramics, drafting, and computers). I also got a bump by being TA for various classes (all computer related stuff) and had "contracts" with the school for academic points to be their system administrator my Junior and Senior years.

About 4 weeks into my Jr year the people came running out of the counseling (class scheduling) office when my mom rolled up to drop me off. Turns out the Hard drive crashed on the main computer the night before when the custodian came through. A local parent, who did work for the school, opted not to participate, and the guy who did work for the school occasionally, just threw his hands up at it and went away. That left me setting up their main attendance/scheduling server with the old hard disk and restoring backups from tape. I got it working on the old disk immediately, then reinstalled from scratch on a new drive later that week, and did the whole restore thing again. That was Novell Netware 2.15 and I didn't have a lick of experience with it prior to that week, but by the end of the week I was the super user and had them back up.

When word got out that I'd done this, kids were either frustrated with me for fixing the school computer, or they wanted me to change their grades!

I got a formal recommendation from the Vice Principal, which I offered up when I got my first job after High School. I don't think I needed it, I spent 2 hours talking the boss' head off, came back the next day for an "interview", and was offered the job the next day. I was the first employee of Web Communications in 1995, they broke ground on the internet, being the first web hosting provider. Now "web.com" owns the trademarks and domain because they bullied Verio after Verio decided to kill off the company (bought it and smothered it to death).

What impressed the boss was that I was reading a book called "Developing your own 32bit Operating System": Developing Your Own 32-Bit Operating System/Book and Cd-Rom: Richard A. Burgess: 97867236556: Amazon.com: Books

8. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What impressed the boss was that I was reading a book called "Developing your own 32bit Operating System": Developing Your Own 32-Bit Operating System/Book and Cd-Rom: Richard A. Burgess: 97867236556: Amazon.com: Books

Yeah, I think I might be absent that day too.

If I get ambitious with that sorta thing, I'll read the last half of "Fanuc Macro's for Dummies" or whatever it is.
    The first half was REALLY boring and I just haven't been able to muster up the self control to read the last - although I am sure that the stuff that I am looking for is there as I already knew the first half....

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

10. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Yeah, I think I might be absent that day too.

If I get ambitious with that sorta thing, I'll read the last half of "Fanuc Macro's for Dummies" or whatever it is.
    The first half was REALLY boring and I just haven't been able to muster up the self control to read the last - although I am sure that the stuff that I am looking for is there as I already knew the first half....

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    That's how I did all the family of parts I made for electric cars. A subroutine defined the geometry and a main routine was modified as needed to call whichever sub for the part to be made. I just wrote the sub name and number on the machine in pencil.

12. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any guesses what is going on here?

20170112_075835.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah - you forgot that you owned that tiny little forklift...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like something I don't want to know about !! LOL

16. Likes wheelieking71, Perry Harrington liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lol, I moved my cmm granite base into my office with 3 floor jacks. Was too heavy for the walkie stacker lift. Thankfully though I had a double door to go through. How wide is you plate?

18. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any guesses what is going on here?
    My guess is you're wishing you had a time machine so you could go back and kick your ass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D Dubeau View Post
    My guess is you're wishing you had a time machine so you could go back and kick your ass.
    Yes, that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Machining View Post
    How wide is you plate?
    The exact same width as that doorway before I tickle it with that porta-power! LOL (36")

When I brought that thing in here, I stood it on its side, and slung it on straps between the forks.
    It was a sketchy pain in the ass. trying to avoid a repeat of that circus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, looks like I will be MIA from this place after this week for a while.
    Remember a couple pages back when I said "I hope it picks up by April"? LOL, it didn't wait till April!

When I bought the third mill, it was for a specific job.
    People have probably seen me complain in here, and other areas of the site, about the fact that that job never landed.
    And, that I had to take on a bunch of shitty jobs to keep that spindle spinning off the monthly nugget.
    I been getting by, but, if I knew the job wasn't coming for almost over 8 months,
    on top of the recent bullshit HAAS developments, I would have never bought that thing!

BUT! Said job just landed. 5 minutes ago! And the numbers are even bigger now!

Pardon my french, but, WHOA FUCK! ITS ON NOW!

I know three HAAS's that are about to get the shit worked out of them!!!!!!!

I am going to have to use my PM time for horizontal shopping!

I just received a material only deposit bigger than any invoice I have ever sent, and it was only 50% of the first phase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gonna be fun watching you move the shop while trying to get that job done. And finish that fireplace demo. And tile. And fight with the power company. And that huge list of other stuff you had....

I'm planning on revising your buddy's quote at a most opportune moment...

"Listen you fat crybaby! Get off your ass!"

But - good problems to have! Think about the high cotton you'll be sitting in when you're on the other side of it. Fantastic for you man. Love to see things going right for folks.

"Chance favors the prepared mind" applies to so much more than just the old brain..

Well done..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How do you get a 36" wide plate thru a 36" wide door?

Remove the door, the trim & push real hard . (my plate is on a castered stand)

poordoor.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default B&A Precision

Great to hear you finally got the big job Wheelie! And congrats on the new house and shop, looks really nice.

I've read about the so-called "Trump effect" on the economy, and didn't put much validity behind it. But by golly since the election my workload has went from embarrassing to WFO! And every shop owner and factory worker I talk too says they've definitely seen an uptick in business.

Say what you want about the wealthy people in the world, but they are the ones who write the checks that make this world go around. And obviously since most wealthy people are conservative (low taxes and regulations, small government), and thus I believe they're cutting loose with the money now that they've got "their" man going into the White House.

For my little shop, the extra work is way overdue and much appreciated!

ToolCat Greg

25. Likes wheelieking71, Edster, Ox, Philabuster, SND and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    Great to hear you finally got the big job Wheelie! And congrats on the new house and shop, looks really nice.

I've read about the so-called "Trump effect" on the economy, and didn't put much validity behind it. But by golly since the election my workload has went from shit through to the ceiling! And every shop owner I talk too says they've definitely seen an uptick in business.

Fore and my little shop, it's way overdue and much appreciated!

ToolCat Greg
    Congrats! I remember reading where you said you had been slow for a while. I was wondering how you were doing. That is awesome news!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It fits!

20170112_124008.jpg

Its out!

20170112_124510.jpg

What a relief!

0112171245.jpg

Pit Stop Rules !!!!! That is all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It fits!
    And when in doubt................ cringe and drive really fast.