What's new
What's new

My Mess...

macona

Diamond
Here are some pics of my shop. Most everything was acquired in the last year to year and a half. I have actually very little out of pocket capital in this equipment. A most of the big stuff was a matter of finding some who had what I wanted and finding something for them that they wanted and that did not cost me much!

Other things were found through ebay and craigslist. Some required travel like the lathe. I drove with a friend from Portland to LA to get it. 2000 miles round trip. When you want something you have to be prepared to do whats necessary to get it. I WANTED THIS LATHE! ;)

Spent this weekend building a 4th axis for my CNC mill. So things are a bit of a mess.

Pics didnt come out all that great. Will take more when its light out and I need to scrounge up a tripod.

Welding Stuff:

DSC03179.jpg

Mill corner:

DSC03180.jpg

Lathe Area:

DSC03181.jpg

Bench and Gantry Crane:

DSC03182.jpg

Tooling and grinders:

DSC03183.jpg

Looking in from garage door:

DSC03184.jpg

Some more detailed pics:

Miller XMT304 with S54E feeder, Smith Gas proportioner, Optima Pulsing Pendant, Home made spoolgun. Does MIG, DC Tig, Pulsed Mig, Air Arc. Up to 400A out.

DSC03185.jpg

Thermal Arc 300GTSW AC/DC tig machine (Purple thing on shelf). 300 amp tig machine with water cooler and braided rubber hoses. Great machine when they work. Below is Thermal Dynamics Stack Pak II plasma cutter. Two modules installed for 70 amps out. Has water cooler for machine torch if I ever get room to build a plasma table.

DSC03186.jpg

Where I keep my tooling:

DSC03187.jpg

Monarch 10EE lathe and tooling hanging on console of CNC mill.

DSC03188.jpg

Powerex Oilless scroll Air Compressor 15CFM at 90PSI.

DSC03191.jpg

Supermax YCM-16VS Mill. Converted to CNC by Tetronix for use in their Model Shop. Taken out of service around 2000. A friend bought it from them a couple years later. Had issues so I traded stuff for it. Built a new control and a bunch of other stuff.

DSC03192.jpg

That's what I call a very well equipped homeshop. When I saw it was you as topicstarter I already guessed the welding department would be extremely well equipped. Very nice stuff and the lathe is definitely worth traveling 2k miles for. It must be a busy year and a half, collecting all the goodies and restoring the lathe iirc from another topic.
So for the next year and a half you have planned building cabinets and organizing things ? ;)

Oh, forgot about that. My Tsugami CTG-3. One of probably only a couple in the US. Shipped over here by Epson for use in one of their printer plants.

DSC03162.jpg

DSC03163.jpg

Nice shop really like the Monarch EE
I worked at Monarch for 8 years and never seen a red one, it looks great!!!!!!
Mike

Its actually a lot darker red than that. The camera washes it out. Called Cinema Red, it kind of the color of the dark red velvet cushions of old movie theaters.

None of the grit has gotten to the lathe. It all hits me instead! And I mostly use the belt sander on the other side of the table.

Noticed the Optima pulser pendant.

I have one on my 456. Has Miller made any improvements on this item?

I have never gotten to be very proficient with pulsing...

Tom

I know the latest version has a few more programs built into them but not sure other than that. My pendant is probably as old as yours.

For aluminum it works well. I was able to run 3/16" beads with 4043 on .080 aluminum with zero burn through running .035 wire.

I have used it with steel to do some heavier welding and it made a pretty nice weld. Its hard to get used to the sound though.

Hi, couple of questions about the Supermax mill if you get back to this thread:

- is this just a 2-axis x/y...didn't see any servo on the quill and I don't think there's one on the knee. (?)

- also wondering if you're running Mach III control?

The 10EE looks great, they just can't be beat from a small manual lathe perspective.

The Z is the knee on the supermax. It uses a custom made air cylinder/ballscrew to balance the knee. It was made by a company up in Seattle that makes air cylinders. Basically they took one of their stock 4" cylinders and replaced the rod with the ball screw shaft. On the gland end of the cylinder they machined the end cap to accept two large AC bearing to support the ball nut and the timing pulley. The motor is mounted parallel to the cylinder coupled by the timing belt. A relieving type fast acting regulator supplies air to the cylinder and take a good portion of the weight off the motor.

Disadvantage is the Z is not as fast as a quill Z. But I still get 130 IPM rapids and that aint to shabby!

Advantage is I have about 14" of Z. Leaving me able to use the quill as a normal head. Great for using MDI to move to a location and use the quill to drill a hole.

It cant go as far down a it used to because of the height of the cylinder.

Yeah, its now running Mach3. The machine was originally retrofitted by Tektronix for use in their model shop down the street. The control worked but the software was on floppys in a proprietary format that I could not copy and they were failing. So I gutted the enclosure and installed a PC with mach, 15" touch screen, networking, etc.

looks exactly like my shop!

I bought some collets and a set of half nuts for my 10EE/ Ahha! CNC conversion a few years ago from a guy who had painted his 10EE bright red like that!. My gal and I laughed and laughed when we looked at your pictures: my shop is just as crowded and I have about the same collection: welders, CNC, 10EE etc etc.... BMW motorcycle in the middle of it all.... All my stuff is old and "well worn". approximately the same type and degree of organization too!
Ron in NY ( just one more parallel universe!)

Actually the lathe is dark red. For some reason the camera brightens the color considerably. The color is called Cinema Red. Like the color of the old red velvet seats.

Okay, my shop really isn't that full after seeing these pictures. I don't mean you have a mess
I just haven't caught up with you yet. Shawn

Attachments

• shop misc.jpg
    shop misc.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 529

Back