What's new
What's new

Proud Dad

D Nelson

Stainless
ec097173bc202546f24d5b5079d9a988.jpg
my son won the state machine tool contest. Heading for nationals in Louisville ky in june

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations!

As a senior in high school, I won the Virginia machine shop contest (it was sponsored by the Vocational Industrial Clubs of America - VICA) back in 1985, and got to travel to Phoenix for a week for the nationals. It was a great trip, as my teacher got to go, along with the other winners of all the various categories from the state.

How did I do in the nationals? Let's just say I got humbled real fast! The tests were difficult and time sensitive, and most of the competition were already working as machinists.

What a great time though, I still remember a specific gal from Oklahoma who was staying in the same motel...what a dish!

ToolCat Greg

Last edited:
Cool that your son is going into machining! With the machines you have he has a great future ahead of him if he sticks to it.

When you all come into Louisville, make sure to give me a call... I've been a resident here all my life, and would happily take you and your son out for dinner, or anything else you all wanted to see while you're here.

Do you know where the competition is going to be held? Is it at a shop, or a university perhaps?

And of course, a big huge congratulations to your son - getting this far is an achievement in itself. If we get a chance to meet up, ask me about how I bombed my apprenticeship contest, test parts, and how my dad won his...

I sure will the last week of June I will find out the location. Thanks so much Don Nelson

Congratulations to your son. I wish I could take real machine shop as they decided to take it out and put in a class called "machining for repair and fabrication trades". I got a tour while taking another class at the community college and they had some nice machines! One day while walking to class I saw riggers there unloading a brand new Okuma cnc mill... I was beyond jealous. I'm taking the new class anyway and then some welding courses since I know its a good skill to know. I'm currently 17 and a junior in high school and have a little home shop with 6 lathes and 3 mills. Hope he decides to stay in the trade like I will as I love making chips and just enjoy old machinery.

Congrats! No better feeling than you children doing good at school, buti f they are interested in same things as you - it's even better. You will never lack subjects to talk!

servicing stop

I still live in mo. Boy doesn't get out of school for a few more weeks. And I still have to put my crops in so it is pretty busy here

Back