Small Basement Workshop

• Thread starter AllThumbz
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 12,964
A

AllThumbz

Hi folks,

I only have a small area in my basement to work in.

It is a very confined area, good for one man only.

I own a table saw, drill press, SB Heavy 10 and Burke mill.

The remainder of my basement, when I finish it, has to go for a kids' play room and laundry room.

Is anyone in the same situation (small basement shop) who can show me some pictures so I can grab some ideas on how to maximize space to work effectively?

Thanks in advance.

Thumbz (Nelson)

If you have something that is too tall, you can knock a hole in the ceiling if it is drywalled and position between the joists. you can gain an extra 8 inches or so. Make sure there is plenty of clearance around it.

I have a SB heavy 10, SB light 10, SB shaper, 3 drill presses and a woodworking shop in my basement. The wife compained about some dust on the clothes so i put the washer and dryer upstairs and told her don't come down its my playroom LOL...Bob

Hi folks,

I only have a small area in my basement to work in.

It is a very confined area, good for one man only.

I own a table saw, drill press, SB Heavy 10 and Burke mill.

The remainder of my basement, when I finish it, has to go for a kids' play room and laundry room.

Is anyone in the same situation (small basement shop) who can show me some pictures so I can grab some ideas on how to maximize space to work effectively?

Thanks in advance.

Thumbz (Nelson)
What I have done to 'extend' my basement is purchased four 40 foot shipping containers and moved all non essential items, stock, seldom used tools etc to them.
These containers are available in 8' and 9' heights. Get the 9' high as the extra height really helps. Really tough and rodent and rain tight. Right now they are a dime a dozen - well, maybe a bit more - but a real deal.
Since we are not shipping as much out as we receive, docks are getting full of empties. I got mine for less than $2000 each.

Last edited:
heres a 8x16 workspace

Hi Nelson,

I'm in the exact same situation in the basement...
I need the space for a shop and an extra room for the kids :willy_nilly:
The shop floor space is (approx) '8x16'
You can see where the lathe is going to sit (SB 10k)
and the table with the towel and parts on it is where
a Rung-Fu RF-31 mill/drill is going to sit.

I'm also in the process of building a small CNC wood mill that will
be rollable under the workbench(once I get organized!! LOL)

Still a work in progress (as you can see! :crazy:) but so far, considering
the size I have to work with, I'm pretty happy with how its turning out.

P.S. Yes, one day I plan on painting the floor :D

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 36,866
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 15,394
Hi Nelson,

I'm in the exact same situation in the basement...
I need the space for a shop and an extra room for the kids :willy_nilly:
The shop floor space is (approx) '8x16'
You can see where the lathe is going to sit (SB 10k)
and the table with the towel and parts on it is where
a Rung-Fu RF-31 mill/drill is going to sit.

P.S. Yes, one day I plan on painting the floor :D

My raw space is about 8 wide x 20 long. The house is 26 x 26. I had to split the 20 in half for a clock repairing area (about 8 feet x 8 feet), and the remaining 8 x 12 for my machines (very tight). There is an oil tank in the way. I plan to enclose it with a 2x4 frame and make a shelf on top. I built some shelving from 2x4s which will be surrounded by the outside wall when I frame the walls (it is unfinished), making it built-in. A router table slides under one shelf. I put my Burke #4 mill on wheels and that will sit in front of the other set of shelves. My drill press is in the corner on a Shop Fox stand which I made 2 shelves for underneath to hold drills. The lathe will sit against the long wall (SB Heavy 10). A wood bandsaw it in a corner next to the oil tank. There is a Delta 10" contractor's saw on a mobile base in the middle. It is very tight, but I will make a large doorway, and when I am using the shop, I can roll something out into the hallway. I'm going to make more storage under the stairs to hold my engine crane folded and my press, which I use more infrequently.

The place is a mess right now.

The machine area:
DSC03462.jpg

DSC03463.jpg

DSC03464.jpg

DSC03465.jpg

This is the small clock shop:
DSC03466.jpg

DSC03467.jpg

As to the floor, paint is ok, but I plan to put down some of these rubber-like interlocking floor tiles for garages and other work areas. The stuff is supposed to cushion your feet and prevent fatique. It cleans up and is oil resistant, and if it gets broken, you pull up the tile, and lay down another one (no cement needed).

Nelson
My Yahoo group:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10L/

Last edited:
Small spaces are challenging

Hi Thumbz, looks like you are squeezing it all in. Some people even seem to thrive working in tight quarters.

My brother-in-law does some fabulous woodworking projects in his shop that is so tight I think it takes a couple of days for the sawdust to hit the floor.

I think I even saw the corner of a Heavy 10 peeking into one of those pictures;)

Keep up the good work, Doug

Back