What's new
What's new

3d scanning: what works for die section type work?

spock

Stainless
I get work from time to time, replacing die sections and the customer has no data, 2d OR 3d. I have used a local source that uses a handheld scanning device for the 3D capture, and then I take his supplied model and marry it to the 2d (dowel holes etc) and make the part to that model. a lot of time involved (mostly his $$$)

A buddy of mine used to use a Renishaw cyclone in his shop to do the same. A lot of time involved (but, machine ran unattended, sounds like a big plus). In both situations, they tell me an average of 5-8 hours of screen time getting the data into something ready to machine. That seems like a lot.

Before I talk to any salespeople, I would like to know what folks in the real world are doing to capture data and get it usable. Equipment? Software?

I appreciate any input.

Send it out...
Sometimes its hard to justify the investment when there is a business established in 3d scanning.
The place in Pewaukee WI is very reasonable. Good people.

Im starting to learn that to be a successful business you have to send some stuff out like 3D scanning so you can focus on your own specialty.

JohnySW, thanks for the link!

I am already busy as can be, just exploring the possibilities....I like the work because of the longer cycle times (3d stuff), but I probably cannot justify the amount of time involved unless something out there works reasonably well and quick. I do not know of the place in Pewaukee, will look for it.

A pharmaceutical customer we used to do a lot of work for had one of these:

Wide-Area 3D Measurement System | KEYENCE America

It was absolutely, ridiculously good - almost as good as the salesman will tell you it is. I'm sure it has a price tag to match.

Keyence came in to do a demo of such machines for us and you're right. Their CAD model processing from image collection is fucking impressive. I had no idea technology had advanced to that level before they came in.

You're also right on the price tag. For that one, I'd expect 80k easily. They didn't quote that machine for us, but rather some lower priced optical inspection machines which were in the $50-60k range. We did talk about that machine you linked though, and they showed us some of the models straight off the machine and the models their customer turned them into (near-zero difference, so they had extremely minor 'clean up', most of which was changing the 'actual' measured surface to be a nominal size/form)

Back