What's new
What's new

Alternatives to thread ring gages?

Piper3T

Plastic
Hello.

The company I work for has traditionally used thread ring gages to verify OD threads are correct.
However in recent years, many of the gages have worn out and the company will not pay to re-condition or replace them.

My dilemma is I have ~170 threads I need to cover in diameters ranging from 0 to 16 inches in diameter.
To get by, we are using a set of tips that can be attached to OD micrometers, or thread wires.
These are reasonably fast, but only check one point on the thread at a time, which is not good enough with our equipment and time requirements.

We also have a thread-rolling device that looks similar to OD and ID micrometers. But it only works for specific pitches and is very time consuming to set up and measure. We have just one set of pitch rollers, which is not actually measuring pitch diameter, but working diameter instead.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has a recommendation on a tool that can check multiple diameters and pitches, quickly, and accurately.
Preferably something that can easily be shared among ~40 machinists and inspectors. We may purchase multiples to do that.
I've spent a lot of time researching what is out there in terms of pitch micrometers and attachments. But I'm wondering if there might be an all-together different tool out there I'm not considering.

I had a demo of a laser micrometer a few weeks ago which claims it can accurately measure minor dia, major dia, and flank angle. Which should hopefully be enough for use to pass spec instead of pitch diameter. The laser micrometer has other applications that are useful to us as well, so I am considering it.

At any rate, just looking for more options that I may not have considered yet.

Thanks

Gordon,

If you have relevant information, be so courteous as to share it with the assembled ears.

That's the whole reason the forum exists.

- Leigh

Based on previous observations of this type of interaction, this sounds a lot like "Hey, Charlie Brown, come kick the football".

Gordon,

If you have relevant information, be so courteous as to share it with the assembled ears.

That's the whole reason the forum exists.

- Leigh

My own product can easily and inexpensively do what the OP wants to do. I'd have thought you'd regard it as spamming if I'd mentioned it in your sub forum.

Anyone clicking on my name can see and open my website. It's surprising how many have their website connected to their name or aka but this often seems to go unnoticed. "Visit homepage" Mine was in fact put there by a moderator.

Years ago I put this specific link in your sub forum and it wasn't well received even although I regarded it as relevant information.

http://f-m-s.dk/4.01.pdf

Of course there are many other methods but all have their advantages and disadvantages + cost varies immensely as stated at the bottom of the link.

I appreciate the suggestions so far. Thank you.

It is an overwhelming task for me to cover all these different threads on a shoe-string budget, so I'm looking for a game-changer (for our company) that hopefully my bosses can buy into.

Last edited:
I appreciate the suggestions so far. Thank you.

It is an overwhelming task for me to cover all these different threads on a shoe-string budget, so I'm looking for a game-changer (for our company) that hopefully my bosses can buy into.

I read your OP with interest but after reading this one I'm a bit puzzled to put it mildly and to me at least raises the following questions.

1. How much is a "shoe-string budget"?

2. What are "all these different threads"? Many different diameters, different thread types or both?

3. Do you have thread ring gauges for all your many threads and how many are "home made" and how many bought?

4. How much do your machinists measure themselves and is anything measured by inspectors?

5. "We have just one set of pitch rollers, which is not actually measuring pitch diameter, but working diameter instead." Thread rollers measure full thread profile but are limited in their use to having to be used on the correct pitch and close to the same diameter thread. Suitable for measurement of a mass produced thread but not small amounts. Probably their biggest disadvantage is that if something is "wrong" with the measurement result from the roller measurement it doesn't tell you what the problem is. It can be much more than just pitch diameter.

I'm left wondering how much you do in fact know about thread measurement and inspection. If you'd answer my questions 1, 2, 3 and 4 I'm certain others and myself could give you suggestions so you don't find the whole thing an "overwhelming task".

Leigh might frown (I hope not) when I write this but I feel as if you are making a mountain out of a molehill as your options depend very much on the amount of your "shoe-string budget".

Leigh might frown (I hope not) when I write this but I feel as if you are making a mountain out of a molehill as your options depend very much on the amount of your "shoe-string budget".
Not at all. I think that's an accurate assessment.

One man's mountain is another man's molehill. ;-)
Everything is relative.

- Leigh

I had a demo of a laser micrometer a few weeks ago which claims it can accurately measure minor dia, major dia, and flank angle. Which should hopefully be enough for use to pass spec instead of pitch diameter. The laser micrometer has other applications that are useful to us as well, so I am considering it.

There is NOTHING shoestring about the laser micrometer!!!! That device is WAY :eek::eek: more expensive than 170 ring gages!

It was quoted to an associate for 65K as a base model. (super nifty though it may be)

~~~~~~

It sounds like you have a Gagemaker setup already.
Gagemaker-RG-7000-on-Part.jpg
Gagemaker-PG-6000.jpg

While it may a pain to setup (no experience personally) I know that lots of shop in the Houston area that swear by them.
It too will require quite an expensive up front cost for all the pitch specific "rolls"

There is no easy canned answer I can provide without knowing at least an inkling of your "shoestring budget"

Doug.

I'm wondering more and more what you know about threads and thread measurement. On an external thread you think measuring OD and minor diameter is "OK"?

Let's take standard 60º threads. If the pitch diameter tolerance is 100 then the OD is close to 130 and the minor diameter 200. In fact the minor diameter doesn't have a minimum tolerance as such.

Control the thread using the pitch diameter (assuming use of a thread profile tip) and you'll have no problem with the other two diameters assuming also no breakage or excessive wear.

I suggest you find one of the company machinists with thread knowledge and talk to him before you cost your company real money.

I have one more question to add to the ones you haven't answered. What is your background and thread knowledge that makes you think your bosses will listen?

If you think I'm being harsh then I'm in fact trying to save you embarrassment when you put forward a proposal.

[company will not pay to re-condition or replace them.]
At least gauges should be checked and dated for inspection.
How many reject parts are you getting.

Some companies don't want rejects because a part failing out the job can cost much more in time than the part is worth.

Perhaps they (gauges) are checked and not marked but a book in the office has the record.

[company will not pay to re-condition or replace them.]
At least gauges should be checked and dated for inspection.
How many reject parts are you getting.

Some companies don't want rejects because a part failing out the job can cost much more in time than the part is worth.

Perhaps they (gauges) are checked and not marked but a book in the office has the record.

I must admit that I missed that line in the OP's post :o

That makes me think that the OP is on some kind of Don Quixote mission. If the "bosses" won't offer money on the existing thread gauges (are they even calibrated regularly?) then I doubt very much that they'll be willing to spend on something really expensive. The really expensive thread measurement equipment isn't something that circulates from machine to machine or even that all can use. Given the number of thread gauges and the size range I'm thinking several of them are "home made".

To put it bluntly the more I read the less I understand.

If the OP would answer my questions in post #8 (and those of others) then I'm sure relevant and realistic responses would be given. As things are at present there are too many contradictory statements in the OP's information.

Back