What's new
What's new

Any good free resources for learning Hexagon PC-DMIS?

Deezums

Plastic
Like the title, are there any free resources you've found helpful for learning how to use PC-DMIS to check parts using a solid model?

I've worked through a few things, getting the probe calibrated, setting an alignment, switching to DCC and measuring diameters of bores. The way I am working now is not optimal, but I don't know the optimal way. I sure would like to know how to set alignments using DCC, as well as clearance moves as I think they should set automatically instead of manually as I've been doing. Someone was supposed to come for training months ago, still waiting. I wouldn't mind learning to use this thing in the meantime, if only to add to the resume while I look for another job without such ridiculous demands...

Thanks!!

Start working through the tutorials and help files. Setting clearance planes manually is what you'll do unless you use the fancy optimize clearance moves commands, which requires you to be much more advanced than you are. Manual clearance planes allow you to be more flexible in adding or moving features around too, which you will be doing a lot of while you learn. I learned by taking all the manuals home for reading material, and by asking lots of questions on the official PC-DMIS forum. I suggest you look there for help. Choose a part you know well, and start making programs for it. This way you have a good understanding of what the part should or could measure at, and what kind of inspection methods you need to use.

I did something similar to Dylad. I also had the company send me to Hexagon after about a year of my "figuring it out for myself" and found out I could pass the level 2 test. So, learning on your own and practicing do pay some benefits.

As far as dcc alignments go, you should ALWAYS dcc align before taking measurements. The computer control can hit the target with the correct force everytime, you cannot. This makes the dcc align much more accurate. I use a manual alignment to tell the computer generally where the object is, then a dcc align to nail it down.

On clearance issues, as of 2015? pc-dmis introduced the clearance box, which is exactly what it sounds like. The probe will move to the outside (actually on) of the box via the normal vector of your workplane, then move, then come back in the opposite way. This works on all 6 axes.

Learning to do the measurements from a model is the correct way to go, and generally the easiest way to go. However, don't skimp on learning how to call out features by hand.

Thanks for the tips guys, I registered over on the PC-DMIS forums. Going to take a look around there...

I've got a node locked license, at least according to all the paperwork I've got. I can't run this offline on a separate computer, correct? Only the PC with the Ethernet hexagon controller, that's the node? It won't even install, says it can't find a license. I do have a serial number.

Are there any versions of PC-DMIS like the Mastercam HLE? I wouldn't mind installing this at home and going through the training and tutorials that way. That's been my method so far, why stop now!

I'm off to figure how to DCC an alignment! Luckily what I'm running now is just checking TIR and diameter of some hydraulic cavities, location is not as critical so my manual alignment shouldn't bite me too much this time I think.

Thanks again!

There is nothing like Mastercam HLE, no. The security measures around the software are pretty draconian to prevent you from taking advantage of the license in any way. If you have a physical hardware dongle (usb stick) you can transfer that between computers or take it home. Be aware that if you lose that dongle, there is no mercy. You will have to pay $XX,XXX to get a new one.

I will also recommend the official forum. It sound like you are in close to the same boat as me as far as mostly teaching yourself. My username is the same there. Feel free to message me there (I'm only just starting to use this forum, but look at the other almost daily) if I can help! I'm pretty happy with what I'm able to do now. I have years of learning ahead but am really enjoying it now that I have that forum as a resource.

Back