What's new
What's new

Any ideas? How do I pick up the vertex of an angle on a mill?

John CC

Plastic
I have milling projects with angles other than 90 degrees. I must pick up the vertices of these angles as references for locating holes on the sides. These angles are sometimes symmetrical relative to the spindle, and sometime one side is at a different slope than the other.

A centerscope works. But very slow. This could be the best for the asymmetrical slopes.

A tool that would fit an angle and have an edge square to the spindle would work for symmetrical situations.

Perhaps a modified center finder would work, but would account for run-out....

Any ideas?

JCC

Either mount the part on a plate that has a tooling ball, or put a tooling ball in your part on the 1st op? Like make a hole for the tooling ball that you can turn into a threaded or clearance hole at the end, or one that fits into a dowel hole that is already in the part.

Is there any written info on tooling balls? I sense a world of good there....

You need to make a tool. A ground flat plate joined to a dowel pin. The flat plate referances the first plane, and the dowel pin touches the second plane. You pick up the edge of the dowel pin and trig the location of the plane.

You need to make a tool. A ground flat plate joined to a dowel pin. The flat plate referances the first plane, and the dowel pin touches the second plane. You pick up the edge of the dowel pin and trig the location of the plane.

Thanks! If I understand correctly:
A cylinder is attached to a plane, near one edge. The plane and the cylinder form an "L," in plan view, the short leg of the "L" being the round end of the cylinder. This "L" can be hooked onto any angle, and as long as that angle is known, I can work out where the edge of the cylinder is relative to the vertex of the angle.....

Is that what you mean?

John

Thanks! If I understand correctly:
A cylinder is attached to a plane, near one edge. The plane and the cylinder form an "L," in plan view, the short leg of the "L" being the round end of the cylinder. This "L" can be hooked onto any angle, and as long as that angle is known, I can work out where the edge of the cylinder is relative to the vertex of the angle.....

Is that what you mean?

John
Yes, it works well as long as you are careful.

Back