What's new
What's new

Newbie Metrology Question

skdanser

Plastic
Does anyone know what kind of steel or alloy is used for the main structural elements in an industrial CNC machine like a Haas VF2 or equivalent. I am interested in building my own machine and I want to know what material to use that will resist rust or be completely rust proof. I know that the main frame is probably cast iron or something but I am specifically talking about the parts that will come in contact with coolant, etc. I have attached a youtube video to help show the material I am looking to identify. It is the material that is under the linear bearings and also comprises the two blocks that hold the ends of the ballscrew.

How to install NSK Linear products - 2. Ball Screw - YouTube

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

Does anyone know what kind of steel or alloy is used for the main structural elements in an industrial CNC machine like a Haas VF2 or equivalent. I am interested in building my own machine and I want to know what material to use that will resist rust or be completely rust proof. I know that the main frame is probably cast iron or something but I am specifically talking about the parts that will come in contact with coolant, etc. I have attached a youtube video to help show the material I am looking to identify. It is the material that is under the linear bearings and also comprises the two blocks that hold the ends of the ballscrew.

How to install NSK Linear products - 2. Ball Screw - YouTube

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

many machines are cast iron or ductile cast iron.
99.99% do not build machines out of Stainless steel. they might have machine parts plated in the old days having stuff chrome plated was used. now a days chrome plating cost more cause of pollution control requirements.
if coolant causing rust most adjust coolant mix so it does not cause rust.
there are brush plating setups for applying plating with a hand held cloth covered electrode connected to a power supply. you dip into chemicals every 1/2 to 1 minute and rub on part. sort of like using a electric magic marker. usually need 3 chemicals. cleaner, activator, then a nickel plating solution. many alloys can be applied. its not often done cause of time required.
i use to use to fill small scratches or dings on printing press rollers cause the ink would get into the dings and transfer ink so i used to fill them with gold. gold was used cause soft, easy to see, and you could sand excess flush to surrounding chrome plating. obviously you do not need gold plating to protect large machine components. nickel should be enough

A36 for general structure, nicer grades as needed. You can get roller bearings made from stainless, rails, etc? I don't think so. Besides it not being worth it for that reason, I suggest you carefully price out the machine you plan to build. I was there at one point and my homemade thing (that might have worked) was going to be 30k w/o ATC and not counting hundreds of hours to build it. Haas mini mill is about that price. Make or buy choice is obvious. If you insist you want something home made and have copious amount of time and money to burn, cnc zone forum is the place to go. Guys on here are typically professional machinists and get pretty frowny on hobby types.

Yup. Consider how much it would cost to make your own street legal car from scratch with comparable features and performance to what's available for $25k. You can't do it for under $100k. Same thing for a CNC. I've put a lot of thought into it and really wish it weren't the case, but it is.

as a former maintenance machinist i often had to make spare parts or replacement parts and often had to ask or decide to make out of aluminum , carbon steel, or stainless steel.
obviously many might want stainless steel til the see the estimated cost of raw metal and factor in the more difficult machining requirements. cost often would be 400% to 1000% more if stainless
many steel and cast iron machines last 20 to 100 years. unless its exposed to hot water or chemicals that will cause severe corrosion. coolant is not supposed to cause severe corrosion. sure you might get some if concentration a bit off but shouldnt be that bad.

How is this a metrology question?
In this section of the forum I think the preferred machine base is granite.
Not some granite-expoy concoction that you see talked about, the real rocks.
This may have been better placed in "General" or maybe "CNC" . The answers would be brutal but perhaps more informative.
Bob

Back