What's new
What's new

Broken Depth Rod on Calipers

CGornet

Aluminum
Hey all.

Have some 40" calipers that had the depth rod break off. Couldn't tell you how it happened, but it did.

Any way to repair this piece of equipment reliably?

I think a depth rod on 40" calipers would be a nuisance more often than a help, simply because of the clearance required to manipulate it. I know I get annoyed with the depth rod on my 12" Mitutoyo digital calipers regularly, and reach for my 12" Starrett calipers that came without one. If you have a depth micrometer, perhaps a custom-length depth rod might be a better option. It would probably be more accurate, as well as being out of the way when not needed. Your mileage may vary.... :)

Hey all.

Have some 40" calipers that had the depth rod break off. Couldn't tell you how it happened, but it did.

Any way to repair this piece of equipment reliably?

weld, braze or bolt replacement rod and grind the end until its flush.

weld, braze or bolt replacement rod and grind the end until its flush.

Have you ever seen a 40" caliper (that's 1m) with a depth rod? I can't imagine anything more unwieldy. Good chance you'd stab all around you :eek:

The only sane solution I can think of is some type of rod that can be mounted and dismounted as needed.

The reason I asked for "front and back pictures" was to see if there even was a rod groove. If there is a rod groove then I have a suggestion as to an easy solution and the rod can be mounted and dismounted in seconds.

I think a depth rod on 40" calipers would be a nuisance more often than a help, simply because of the clearance required to manipulate it. I know I get annoyed with the depth rod on my 12" Mitutoyo digital calipers regularly, and reach for my 12" Starrett calipers that came without one. If you have a depth micrometer, perhaps a custom-length depth rod might be a better option. It would probably be more accurate, as well as being out of the way when not needed. Your mileage may vary.... :)

Long ago I bought 1,000 digital caliper from VIS (Poland) without a depth rod and no internal jaws. When calipers are used with my insert holders the depth rod is often just a nuisance.

perhaps it's a typo and they're 4" calipers. In which case, why waste our time with such nonsense. Buy some new ones.

Not a typo.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Your suggestions/concerns are shared. Likely why it is broken in the first place. I am in the machine shop for a defense contractor, so they bought them for a purpose (other than stabbing the guy in the adjacent cell).

And since it's over 13 feet long, you will need a really wide toolbox to store it in.

Back